Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

U.S Army "Green Zone" Iraq 2003

:

USA

Old November 25th, 2012, 21:18   #1
beastor

U.S Army "Green Zone" Iraq 2003

Watching the Matt Damon film so I felt like posting these pics from the summer, my Iraq invasion loadout.

The inteceptor vest was a killer in the heat but the look was quite effective overall for skirmishing.

General William Tecumseh Sherman
beastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2012, 21:26   #2
5kull

Yep, you would fit right in

5kull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 09:34   #3
beastor

More mags! SAW pouches are a perfectly legitimate way of carrying magazines, they are designed to take 6 x M4 mags, plenty of US personnel used them as such

Anyway if you think that soldiers will waste any space on their vest for more ammo carrying capacity you are mistaken Skeletor, Just look at the photography book Whisky Tango Foxtrot (or any other Iraq invasion photos for that matter) for plenty of examples of mag pouches spread along the whole length of the vest.

They aint going to leave an empty space for more bullets just because its "awkward" getting a mag out (these guys aren't playing a game of airsoft where you just need a couple of hi-caps to last a few hours for a game, they need mostly ammo and water for foot patrols).

Great pic 5kull, from a great movie!

(Just realised the pic has Matt Damon with mag pouches on his left side skeletor )

Last edited by beastor; November 26th, 2012 at 09:52..
Old November 26th, 2012, 09:36   #4
jangofett234

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kull View Post
Yep, you would fit right in

I never found out what team that guy in the Black Vest works for. Anybody know?
jangofett234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 09:50   #5
beastor

The soldier Jason Isaacs plays is a member of "Force 221" which is a made up Special Operations unit.

According Wiki its apparently based on CAG or DEVGRU groups like Task Force 88 who were specifically set up to grab the "Deck of Cards" targets.

Old November 26th, 2012, 11:58   #6
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

Not to get on your case or anything Beastor, but Skeletor has a point, I've run a number of rigs for airsoft and when playing Opfor, I'm of the same mindset as Skeletor on this. I do agree with you those SAW pouches hold between 5 and 7 mags nicely, I've done it, I got some other guy's 5 mags dumped on me when he got sent to hospital in the middle of a field ex, they went straight into my SAW pouch, works great! However, that's not what it's DESIGNED for.

As for the pistol, Skeletor is right. As well, I know a number of people who've deployed with both U.S. and Canadian forces to Afghanistan and, in the case of U.S., Iraq. The majority of them didn't want their pistol and left them behind, it's extra weight that most likely won't be needed and is of little use. If it's an impression you're after, ditch it. If you're just out to play airsoft, it's really your call. It's your call either way though.

Do keep in mind, that rig in the pictures with Matt Damon are not set up by him, they're set up by the movie people, who may, or may not, know what they're doing.

If right handed, it's alot easier to get at your mags on the left, keeping in mind that your right hand shouldn't be leaving the pistol grip.

The way people do it in airsoft is usually wrong, I know of one player who takes about 20 seconds to reload, he goes into this little japanese sitting position, removes his magazine, places the rifle across his lap and proceeds to gently fiddle/fingerfuck his mag pouches for about 10-15 seconds before removing a mag, inserting it and getting back into the fight. That's not the right way to do it, you want speed and clarity in your actions, that's why most people keep them on the left, you drop one mag, get a new one out using the left hand (Takes work, most people aren't used to using their left hand so precisely while not looking) and insert it in the gun before slapping the bolt release.

Again, do it however you want, but a number of people on here who ask questions or offer advice do have practice and offer it up as experience they've had.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified

Last edited by Gato; November 26th, 2012 at 12:03..
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 13:28   #7
beastor

Some nice tips there Gato appareciated, I am currently swapping over the dedicated M4 pouches to the other side and putting the SAW pouch on the rightside.

I saw the pistol holster mounted in many similar ways on U.S invasion troops and I liked it (agreed Gato it was rare to have one). I play in lots of built up areas when airsofting and I find a pistol is invaluable. Soldiers (MP's especially) found them particularly handy if manning roadblocks, doing snatch and grabs, handling insurgent prisoners. I know it was rare for soldiers to have M9's but they were issued for particular duties.

Regarding Matt Damon, his whole squad in the film are played by Iraq war veterans. They're the ones who are kitted him out and Richard "Monty" Gonzales, the actual soldier that Matt's character is loosely based on, was on set as an advisor and kitted Matt out in the actual configuration he used in the invasion.

Last edited by beastor; November 26th, 2012 at 13:31..
Old November 26th, 2012, 13:30   #8
beastor

I just realised some of these soldiers might have the magazine pouches on the right side so they can use the grenade pouches on the left for their launchers...D'oh!

Last edited by beastor; November 26th, 2012 at 13:36..
Old November 26th, 2012, 15:31   #9
beastor

New and improved configuration:

Ammo pouches on left side (including 3 mag pouch on extreme right of pic) water bottle and another mag pouch on right side.

Still keeping M9 holster, a side arm is just too handy not to have where I skirmish.

Old November 26th, 2012, 15:40   #10
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastor View Post
I just realised some of these soldiers might have the magazine pouches on the right side so they can use the grenade pouches on the left for their launchers...D'oh!
I was going to mention that, at the same time, the guy with the hanging pouches, one of those is old, looks to be an ALICE pouch, likely extras. Alot of the U.S. guys love to lug around as much ammo as possible, makes sense, but keep in mind, that on top of whatever their minimum mandatory amount is.

In some roles, yes, pistols could be useful, but they're few and far between when you have rifles and carbines. Like I said though, if you like it, rock it.

Regardless, it's looking good. Armor can be a bitch, but as long as the shoulders are wide, it's wearable. Too slim and it digs. I'm hoping to head to Scotland sometime (It's where my mother and grandparents are from), hopefully I'll get to see some of your stuff on the field if I ever make it :P
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 19:18   #11
beastor

Awesome! I hope you enjoy it, I know I loved Canada when I visited many moons ago so here hoping you find Scotland just as great:-D

I always like to think of Canada as the perfect symbiosis of U.S and British cultures: you take the best from both and leave out the crap!

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > USA