Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

SOPMOD Block 2 / MK18 MOD 1

:

Airsoft Media

Old September 18th, 2009, 14:09   #1
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

SOPMOD Block 2 / MK18 MOD 1

Since both the SOPMOD Block 2 and MK18 mod 1 platforms are still in development and no complete spec list has been made public, I built this replica based off existing information on what it WILL have, and combined it with a couple of elements of the mk18 mod 0 and CQB-R build specs.

I kept the receiver as a Colt model, just so it would be generic, but I hope most of this is accurate. The 10.5" steel barrel, Daniel Defense mk18 RIS II 9.5" rail system, Knight's A2 birdcage flash hider, Knight's M4 QD suppressor system are all accurate.

The front and rear iron sights are speculatory, but there have been rumors that this may be accurate, although the actual options will be in tan colours. Another speculation is an LMT front and rear BUIS for an "always up" option.

The Crane stock and standard A2 pistol grip are taken from the original NSW CQB-R spec list, and later on, the MK18 MOD0 as they have not been specified items for Block 2, but it would not be impossible to see such items on prototype builds, or even the final production build.

This is another one of my AEG shell build projects.

Built to closely replicate the SOPMOD Block 2 / MK18 MOD 1 development program, this is the ILLusion Kinetics design of this purpose-built carbine based on existing information on what has been fully approved, as well as what has been speculated to be the final specified componentry for this platform.

The MK18 MOD 1 is the newest incarnation of the NSWC-Crane Development Group (DEVGRU), sprung from the original CQBR and MK18 MOD 0 builds.

Ideal for CQB situations, this short barreled carbine provides a tight and maneuverable package for navigation through tight quarters. An included quick detach suppressor system (KAC M4 SD) is included with this package, to allow for the quick suppression of muzzle noise and flash where required, particularly in cave fighting as well as on Visit, Board, Search, and Seizure (VBSS) type missions. For airsoft use, the included suppressor can be remained attached to hide an inner barrel up to 420mm in length for increased long range accuracy, velocity and tighter groupings.

This gun is based around a VFC (Vega Force Company) metal receiver set, which is one of the highest quality aftermarket receivers available on the market for AEGs.

This metal receiver set not only features superb build quality, but also has a working bolt catch - When racking the charging handle, it holds the fake bolt back to greatly ease the adjustment of the hop up adjustment lever. When hop up adjustment is finished, just tap the bolt catch to release the fake bolt to cover up the hop up chamber!

The biggest change between the CQBR / MK18 MOD0, and the SOPMOD2 / MK18 MOD 1, is the requirement for the platform to use a RIS II compliant rail system. Several requirements must be met, for a rail system to meet "RIS II" compliancy - it is not just a name. Such features included are:
  • Free floating barrel - the rail system can not touch the barrel at any point after the barrel nut/receiver joint. This is to increase accuracy, by reducing barrel pull through the use of heavy attachments on the rail system (ie, pulling on a vertical grip), providing increased comfort to the shooter (barrel vibration is not translated through the rail system / hand guard to the shooter's hands), and in effect, greater shot to shot consistency due to the barrel not being affected by any external forces on the hand guard.
  • An uninterrupted rail - the rail system is to provide no interruption across the top of the receiver to the rail. This is to allow greater attachment compatibility for accessories that may need to cross and integrate between the receiver and the hand guard system.

For the SOPMOD Block 2 and MK18 MOD 1 programs, the Daniel Defense MK18 RIS II was the platform that won first choice as the rail system to be used. Faithfully replicated, from the markings to the colour (the real thing is a dark brown colour as well), the replica that comes with this set fully rounds out this build and gives it the unique look it has:

Flip up back up iron sights adorn the top of the uninterrupted rail system, to provide a low profile back up open sight solution in the event that battle optics get shot out or go down during combat. The rear sight used in this build is a replica of the Knights Armament Company 600m flip up rear sight.

To the front, a replica of the Knights Armament Company flip up front sight is used:

The flash hider attached to this shortened 10.3" outer barrel, is the Knights Armament modified QD A2 birdcage, which is unique in that it has a notch cut in to the bottom to allow mating to a Knight's integrated suppressor system.

The KAC M4 QD Suppressor system included with this package mates directly to the flash hider, through a unique latching mechanism. This suppressor that comes with the package is the most realistic one available on the market, with the highest build quality. Made by VFC, it's hard not to assume top notch build quality:

One Tokyo Marui brand 68 round low capacity magazine is included with this package for smooth and flawless feeding of ammunition.

The G&P Crane stock included with this package provides one of the best collapsable stock rear powered solutions on the market, housing an (included) 9.6v 2200mAh Ni-MH battery.

• VFC / GB-Tech Metal Receiver, Colt Markings
  • Tokyo Marui 68 Round Magazine
  • G&P Crane Battery Buttstock with 9.6v 2200mAh Ni-MH Battery
  • Replica Daniel Defense MK18 RIS II Rail Set
  • VFC / GB-Tech CQBR Reinforced Adjustable Outer Barrel ( 2005 Version )
  • VFC / GB-Tech M4 KAC QD Suppressor ( 2008 Version )
  • King Arms Selector Lever (Steel version)
  • Guarder Enhanced Pistol Grip
  • G&P Replica KAC Flip Up Front Sight
  • VFC / GB-Tech KAC 600m Flip Up Rear Sight
  • G&P RAS Gas Block
  • Systema Low Noise Grip End
  • Guarder Carbine Gas Tube

Last edited by ILLusion; April 7th, 2011 at 11:39..
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 14:35   #2
ujiro

Send a message via MSN to ujiro
Very pretty. I love that silencer. Is that the VFC one?

Looks like it would be a PDW, without the silencer. Short, but still kind of beefy from that rail. Almost blocky, but not in a bad way. I love it.
Old September 18th, 2009, 14:38   #3
PrIeSt
takagari

Send a message via MSN to PrIeSt Send a message via Skype™ to PrIeSt
is that the daniels defense brownish front ris? cant remember what its called. I saw it once before and really liked it. but have been unable to find it again since

Shawn
PrIeSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 15:13   #4
Ace of Spades©

You can use EOtech 553 in DE as well as the AN/PEQ 15, both are confirmed as part of the Block II program. (EOtech to be replaced by the Elcan Specter I think at some point.)

Quote:
My gun is like a Land Rover, when it works, its great. Problem is, its a Land Rover, so it never works...
Ace of Spades© is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 16:48   #5
theguy

Wow!

Thats literary the EXACT same gun i built.

Only difference is that i used a full length M4 barrel.

Looks great ILLusion, Ill post a picture of mine if i can find one.

Chinese proverb
theguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 18:35   #6
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujiro View Post
Very pretty. I love that silencer. Is that the VFC one?
Yes, it's the VFC one. The nicest replica of this style on the market. The latch mechanism is just like the real thing - the only one on the market like this. My only complaint about it is that it rotates on the flash hider a little bit. Not a deal breaker, though. The build quality makes up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takagari View Post
is that the daniels defense brownish front ris? cant remember what its called. I saw it once before and really liked it. but have been unable to find it again since

Shawn
Yes, it's the Daniel Defense MK18 RIS II.

Details about the real thing here:

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=s...product_id=111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Spades View Post
You can use EOtech 553 in DE as well as the AN/PEQ 15, both are confirmed as part of the Block II program. (EOtech to be replaced by the Elcan Specter I think at some point.)
Hmm... I DO have an Elcan Specter in FDE here... as well as an FDE AN/PEQ 15... looks like I'll have to set up another photo set.

Last edited by ILLusion; September 22nd, 2009 at 18:47..
Old September 22nd, 2009, 18:35   #7
Erennert
A minor, using dad's ID

Does it look like the Barrel, and silencer are curved to anyone else? Probably just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamarine View Post
I'm a sniper.

Because I'm fat and can't run fast.
Erennert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 18:41   #8
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erennert View Post
Does it look like the Barrel, and silencer are curved to anyone else? Probably just me.
It's probably (camera) barrel distortion. It happens when an image is shot at wider angles, especially if the subject is off the center line of the frame.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 18:55   #9
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

That RIS is pure awesome. You always do awesome builds and this is no exception.

What front sight is that?
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 18:59   #10
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

It's a replica of the Knight's Armament QD front flip up sight. They first appeared with the KAC SR-15 several years ago. Airsoft replicas hit the market around 2003.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 21:13   #11
MilanWG
Perroz Designs

Advanced-Armament's 2009 Silencer Shoot:

Last edited by MilanWG; September 22nd, 2009 at 21:18..
MilanWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 21:25   #12
theguy

Heres mine, My photography's not quite as pretty as ILLusions, but I love my rifle none the less

basically the same build, except with a different barrel length

Chinese proverb

Last edited by theguy; March 29th, 2012 at 11:10..
theguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 21:42   #13
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

I suppose... from a very far out look, it can be seen that way, but there are many finer details about your build that makes it far from what this build is replicating.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 00:31   #14
Saint_blackhand

looks pretty close to me. the sights and barrel are different but yeah pretty much the same thing

I shop here :
www.Pocomilitary.com
www.halifaxairsoftwholesale.com
Saint_blackhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:22   #15
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbaker View Post
Advanced-Armament's 2009 Silencer Shoot:

*img snip*
*img snip*
Milan, where in the world did you get those photos? Do you by any chance have photos of the opposite side?

Why is that gun in an Advanced Armament shoot out? I was under the impression that KAC was the sole manufacturer of the M4QD. Unless they license from AAC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_blackhand View Post
looks pretty close to me. the sights and barrel are different but yeah pretty much the same thing
More like:
  • Rear BUIS - The current runner ups under speculation for this particular build, is the KAC 600m rear flip up sight as seen in my replica, or the LMT BUIS. As a side note, the front sight in theguy's build isn't in the proper location. It should be two more notches forward.
  • Barrel - As already discussed, 14.5" vs 10.3".
  • Receiver - Stag Arms has never been a company selected for NAVSPECWAR DEVGRU use. End of story. Colt is the primary manufacturer who supplies to the US Army, Navy & SOCOM, followed by specialty manufacturers such as Knights Armament Corp. I can't recall a Stag Arms receiver ever showing on such a weapon. Not to say it never will, I'm just saying it's not likely for a replica of this nature.
  • Rail system - The real Daniel Defense MK18 RISII was never produced in black. Only prototype versions were ever made in black, but never made it to production.
  • Rear sling hook - Tthere is one specifically procured for the MK18 mod0. The one used in theguy's build is not the correct one, and also will not likely be the one used in the final Block 2 or mk18 mod1 release.
  • Suppressor - The can used in theguy's build looks like a replica of the SOCOM .45 CAL can... which is a popular style, but incorrect for many reasons. The biggest issue is: it's a .45CAL can, mounted to a 5.56mm carbine. You would never see this can on ANY real world 5.56mm carbine, let alone a MK18.

That's just stickling for details. The same people who get their panties up in a bunch over these details are the same ones who will fight tooth to nail, the differences between a MK18 MOD0, and a NSW CQB-R. There are specific differences that make one build fall under one designation, and another build under the other designation, and another that will have it fall under NEITHER.

Last edited by ILLusion; September 23rd, 2009 at 02:30..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Media