Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

General Opinion on ThunderB grenades

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old August 19th, 2013, 11:41   #1
Strelok

General Opinion on ThunderB grenades

Hey folks.

More or less inquiring about the general opinion on ThunderB use in airsoft games. I purchased a couple kits for myself recently, and I've been reading mixed opinions whether they are safe to use or not (Mainly the Decibel level and ear damage.)

The main questions are :

Are they comfortably utilized at your local field/by players in your area.

Have you experienced any notable injury with them, and any other concerns really.

Rather be safe than sorry!

Thanks!
Strelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 12:14   #2
sticks

Send a message via MSN to sticks
I allow them at my outdoor games, but players who use them must follow the rules I set in place for thunder Bs. Those rules are as follows:

1. They can not be thrown directly at a player.

2. They can not be thrown into an enclosed building or bunker.
sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 12:20   #3
Reaver_RRTS

I own one, and I've heard them go off... They're VERY loud. At an outdoor test, the grenade fired off three feet away from my friend who offered to be the test subject... When it went off, he was shouted and covered his ears, then stated afterwards that he could barely hear me for the next three hours. Indoor usage (bunkers or in enclosed buildings/facilities should be off-limits to ThunderB grenades, and even outdoor, they should not be thrown too close to people.
Reaver_RRTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 13:55   #4
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks View Post
2. They can not be thrown into an enclosed building or bunker.
Seems kinda silly since that's what they're really meant for, but yes I agree they're very loud and should probably not be used in enclosed spaces.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 13:58   #5
Strelok

Hmm, alright. Kind of stuff I've been expecting

Though, I'm no sound engineer or anything. All of the structures at our field are open topped, no roof. Guess that'd count as an enclosed space huh? I'll probably talk with the guys and see how they feel about it, maybe get some tests done.

Keep em coming guys! Appreciate the answers so far.
Old August 19th, 2013, 14:16   #6
Long_Bong

They are banned from a couple of indoor paintball field near Mtl, same for the Mills, risk of injyry and too much noise (it attract unwanted attention... such as passer by who think it gunfire). Tornado make a lot more sense IMO

Last edited by Long_Bong; August 19th, 2013 at 14:21..
Long_Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 14:41   #7
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Had one go off infront of my throat last friday, was thrown around a corner in CQB and happened to hit me. Didn't have my ear pro on my ears at the time, but wasn't a big deal.

I don't find sudden loud noises too threatening. However each individual obviously has their own personal tolerances for that kind of thing.
c3sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 14:48   #8
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
I like them because they add to realism. Loud bangs to get the nerves going and in the right situation almost shit your pants if you really aren't expecting it. They can leave the ears ringing in small rooms, that's for sure. If everyone is wearing Sordins or ComTacs (not the non-noise cancelling repros) then its not a big deal, but for the average player who isn't wearing anything close to hearing pro then it can be a bit dicey. Again, I personally don't mind them, but lots of people have issues with them.
Old August 19th, 2013, 15:24   #9
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

We use them quite regularly at TTAC3.. which is a small indoor venue, CQB based actions.

Deployment is not restricted .. any proper use is permitted.

we have had no issues, even internal failures that resulted in the CO2 powerlet being ejected from the unit resulted in no issues and limited potential for injury.

I've found once you are habituated to them.. they are a novelty at best.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 15:36   #10
Strelok

Alright. Thanks again guys.

Do any of you guys load up the grenades with anything? BB's, Talc powder. Alternatives, etc. Let me know.

I've loaded mine with a mixture of Talcum powder and BB's, got a nice result, curious what other people have tried.
Old August 19th, 2013, 15:43   #11
~Ghost~

Send a message via MSN to ~Ghost~
I personally think they are an amazing piece of kit, they effectively "simulate"(key word) the real deal. I have had the pleasure of using Thunder B's and definitely recommend them! Personally I've watched 3 live DD's go of in less then 20ft, yes they are truly loud even car alarms reacted to them!!! And I have also had these toys go off in the same room as me some no less then 3ft, yes they are slightly loud but by no means even close to the real thing!!!! Thunder B's are also in no way shape or form terrible or un usable/safe or harmful.

This is at the end of the day a toy used to ad realism to a milsim sport. I personally don't mind them going off or being used against me it adds to the adrenaline/realism and training factor. If your the person who doesn't want realism or to face the noise factor simply throw some 1$ soft plugs in your ears and you will be fine . If that person is still so against a milsim toy in a milsim environment maybe they should consider the nature of the milsim sport they are playing and pick up a paintball gun. Enough said there.

What people don't realize is these are definitely small in comparison to the real deal,and still small in comparison to what Ive used with the military multiple times for training(for those that know a Tflash). So if they want to play at being an operator/soldier or w/e military like role then they should have no real problems with using these training toys as well. They add to the affect and definitely do give a realistic and practical/tactical advantage to the user!

I would stress to those individuals who don't want realism stop complaining and ruining it for those that do, theirs nothing worse then paying top dollar to attending an Op/Milsim game and some kids or sensitive adults complain about a safe training aid being used. If they are worried buy/bring earplugs or simply attend other events. Also maybe the milsim style of games aren't for those individuals.
Just my 2 cents,

Cheers
~Ghost~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 15:47   #12
~Ghost~

Baking powder is also something Ive used in them, Also duals as a some what smoke screen and or ads to initial disorientation of the individual. yet to try bb's but that definitely sounds interesting!!!
Old August 19th, 2013, 15:59   #13
Strelok

How much powder are you filling the grenade with when you fill them?

I'll be doing tests this week with different 'fill' ratios, and different fillers for effect. will also be testing BB spread and stuff as well.

You guys are a big help!
Old August 19th, 2013, 16:11   #14
~Ghost~

The standard fill ratio I use is essentially just enough that I can still insert the main body/charge and tighten while still leaving a little room left in the shell for gas expansion I've yet to measure the amount out but next time I pack one I'll try and get a measurement for you. I also use the smaller DD looking shells, I find it gets the best results using those and some baking powder.

Chalk powder would even be interesting I suppose although may leave more of a residue on clothes. Its another ingredient Ive definitely thought about using! Baby powder as well maybe? Regardless I'd definitely be interested in hearing your experiences with different fillers and how they performed!!!!!
Old August 19th, 2013, 20:09   #15
Magnaroth

Personally, I don't like them. As a metalhead/ audio editor, I am trying to fight off tinnitus as long as I can.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion