Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

USMC M240 gunner impression, Operation Steel Curtain, Iraq 2005

:

USA

Old July 20th, 2012, 11:38   #1
beastor

USMC M240 gunner impression, Operation Steel Curtain, Iraq 2005

My gunner impression, going for a late Iraq war look, specifically Operation Steel Curtain, Iraq 2005 (hence the old style Intecptor vest).

I used the M240 at the start of the day but I admit I started flagging and ditched her for the M249! Pussy I know.

Real Steel kit: Inteceptor vest (heavy mutha but comfortable, pleased to know it can take a 9mm round according to the manual)
LWH (extra large size, man it was hard to get this out of the states!)
Black hawk desert boots
CB Bijan knee pads
camelbak hydration pouch
camelbak mechanic gloves
4 x SAW pouches

ACM Serpa holster
ACM Rhino mount

Echo 1 M240 with upgrade barrel and hop rubber
A&K M249 with upgraded barrel and hop

General William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited by beastor; July 20th, 2012 at 11:42..
beastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2012, 18:20   #2
beastor

I saw the same configuration in "Green Zone" (used by a real SAW gunner in the movie) and by Iraq vets in pics in the Military Power series of books plus Whisky Tango Foxtrot by Ashley Gilbertson.

At first I wasnt sure what I was looking at and wondered what the para cord was but once I tried it it works brilliantly.

It acts like a shock absorber when you drop the gun to draw the pistol and when at ease its extremely comfortable. I can see why so many SAW gunners use this method.

Saying that, not only SAW gunners do this but if you watch Black Hawk Down all the M16s the Rangers use are slung in the same way: Para cord loops around the stock and foregrip, attached to a 2 point sling. It means you can assume a rifle firing position but if need be you can drop the gun and it immediately falls to your side to free up your hands or draw your side arm then pick the rifle back to the firing position within seconds if you wish due to the elasticity. Genius.

As to the firing position, airsoft unfortunately works slightly differently to the real world, by rights I should be prone supporting a squad attack yes, but sometimes you just need to get stuck in. Anyway, the Airsoft SAW tends to have the same range as most AEG's so lying prone while the enemy team is swarming through the trench system 20ft in front of you with added heavy foliage you just have to use a GPMG as a assault rifle to get those kills!

General William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited by beastor; July 20th, 2012 at 18:38..
beastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 18:31   #3
fester

Send a message via MSN to fester
cool! well done

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > USA