Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

New, looking to buy in Calgary

:

Newbie Tank

Old July 20th, 2015, 11:12   #1
KillerUnleashed

New, looking to buy in Calgary

I'm new and looking for a good place to by guns and stuff in Calgary (Probably not Imperial :/ could make a seperate thread on my experience with them applying for a job), also any recommendations for guns, brands and so on.

I'm thinking of getting an electric assault rifle as primary and a gas pistol as secondary. I'd like to get a gas assault but the prices seem to be double that of electric and I read they need a certain amount of upkeep and I'm not exactly rolling in dough to pay for gas. XP
KillerUnleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 11:20   #2
scottyfox

Not the best prices in the world, in fact quite overpriced but you can at least hold and touch a bit of a selection of Classic Army AEGs at PM Hobbies in both the NE and SE.
Better selection in the SE along with a staff member that know her stuff (ish).

scottyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 11:23   #3
naminator

007 Airsoft

Bent Barrel (in Red Dear)

PM Hobby Craft has a small selection of low quality guns (Plastic king arms models)

Black Talon in Okotoks has Polar Star stuff as far as I know.

MR Paintball has a limited selection of airsoft stuff, but I don't particularly like the products they have brought in.

I would get an AEG, maybe a G&G one, and run it bone stock for a while. If you find the accuracy lacking upgrade the barrel/hopup/bucking. A couple cheap upgrades can make your gun much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyfox View Post
Not the best prices in the world, in fact quite overpriced but you can at least hold and touch a bit of a selection of Classic Army AEGs at PM Hobbies in both the NE and SE.
Better selection in the SE along with a staff member that know her stuff (ish).
PM Hobbycraft has a crap selection, crap parts (Who the fuck sells Swiss Arms barrels?) and staff that have limited knowledge of the product they sell. The gas selection they carry is pitiful, the accessory selection is over priced. The products they sell (King Arms come to mind) is the cheapest version of the lineup they can get. Why would I spend 300-400$ on a plastic gun when I can spend the same for the full metal version elsewhere.
Were you maybe expecting 1+1 = donut?

Last edited by naminator; July 20th, 2015 at 11:26..
naminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 11:53   #4
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Imperial Airsoft is no longer in business fyi.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 20:13   #5
L473ncy

There's also the laser tag place in Northland. Small selection, last time I checked they did G&G (Combat Machine mainly IIRC) only which aren't bad starters.
Old July 20th, 2015, 22:36   #6
Chillyrabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by naminator View Post

PM Hobbycraft has a crap selection, crap parts (Who the fuck sells Swiss Arms barrels?) and staff that have limited knowledge of the product they sell. The gas selection they carry is pitiful, the accessory selection is over priced. The products they sell (King Arms come to mind) is the cheapest version of the lineup they can get. Why would I spend 300-400$ on a plastic gun when I can spend the same for the full metal version elsewhere.
Holy shit I never noticed that, I see the gun in the case but 420$? I bought my King arms Sig 516 for 300$ and its part of their "not cheap line" full metal gun.

Anyways you will also be surprised by what you can get on amazon, specifically eye protection, now that the sale is over and I bought the last ones. I bought a revision bullet ant goggle kit that retails for 120$ but got it for 60$. They still have some revision desert locust goggles that are 25% off on select colors, check them out.
Chillyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 23:03   #7
naminator

Not all the guns are overpriced, but many are. The reason is they have to compensate for retail space, which raises the price.

I would just like to see a shop in calgary carry a selection of the best parts on the market.
Old July 21st, 2015, 11:54   #8
KillerUnleashed

Well I checked out The Bent Barrel and I've been doing alot of looking and I think I'm set on this gun

http://store.bentbarrelairsoft.com/c...black-top-tech

I've read good things about it and I heard G&G are pretty solid. I checked Bolt and WE gun's too but I heard they're kinda a toss up on reliability.
KillerUnleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 12:00   #9
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Pretty sure B2Airsoft is the new buzz out there.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 13:12   #10
Danke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillyrabbit View Post
Anyways you will also be surprised by what you can get on amazon, specifically eye protection, now that the sale is over and I bought the last ones.
An Amazon blowout is about the last place I'd look for eye pro. Maybe 3rd place after some EBB clones and shop glasses from 7-11.

Jesus wept.
Old July 21st, 2015, 14:49   #11
naminator

That G&G is pretty good. Full metal is definitely the way to go too. G&G ha a history of "Play it till you break it".

First upgrades will be the barrel, hopup and bucking. Also make sure you get a good smart charger...
Old July 21st, 2015, 18:12   #12
OutLaw77

Hey OP I was in the same boat as you 3 or 4 weeks ago. I wanted the exact same set up as as you are looking for. I went with a SRC M4 SD Gen lll AEG and a KJW KP06 Hi capa pistol. Pistol is a co2/gas option but I'm going with the co2 for now. The M4 has an upgraded tighter bore barrel and quite accurate for a BB gun. I also purchased the LiPo batteries which made a big difference. I quite like the M4 but I see myself getting a GBBR in the near future. I like the AEG and it shoots well for what I'm using it for but I love the kick of the KP06 and the GBBR feel when firing.

I'm still a noob at this but I have read a lot of good info on this site and still reading more. I haven't gone out to any games yet and I don't really know anyone around Calgary either. I gave my ID info to the guy at Bent Barrel to get age verified but I'm finding this takes a long time to get done. Hopefully it gets done soon because I really want to check out the classifieds before I purchase anything else.

Cheers,

Rob.

Last edited by OutLaw77; July 23rd, 2015 at 17:31.. Reason: removed retailers information
OutLaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 21:02   #13
Chillyrabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
An Amazon blowout is about the last place I'd look for eye pro. Maybe 3rd place after some EBB clones and shop glasses from 7-11.

Jesus wept.
Er... I specifically bought the revision goggles from amazon, which presuming that amazon doesn't stock chinese copies without telling you (since they list the manufacturer as REVISION). It's the real deal; has proper trademarks, the revision shiny sticker, and is priced regularly how revision would price them. And basically if they are fake they are the best fakes I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure they are real revision goggles, and Revision makes legit safety eye wear.

Just have to be patient and wait for sales like that.
Old July 21st, 2015, 21:08   #14
Danke

Actually what tends to happen on Amazon is scammers buy a clone, buy the real deal, return the clone in the real deal packaging, and then flip the real deal on eBay etc.

The retailer unknowing returns the fake to their stock and ships it out to the next buyer.

But that didn't happen to you.
Old July 21st, 2015, 21:17   #15
Chillyrabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
Actually what tends to happen on Amazon is scammers buy a clone, buy the real deal, return the clone in the real deal packaging, and then flip the real deal on eBay etc.

The retailer unknowing returns the fake to their stock and ships it out to the next buyer.

But that didn't happen to you.
Well now you made me nervous thanks a lot! At least if it is a clone its a damn good clone.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank