Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Building my own m4

:

Newbie Tank

Old March 6th, 2010, 22:06   #31
L473ncy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zollen View Post
1. Are there any Canada online retails selling G&P, Hurricane, King Arms or CA m4 and m4 parts?

2. Is C&G a quality brand?

3. Would anyone recommend a good Rail system (RAS)? Does different length of RAS has different effects? I am thinking of 10" Free Floating Forearm Rail System w/ M4 Outer Barrel, and then attach with a silencer. Would that be too long for a gun barrel?
1) Not really. There are a few companies that have VFC (a high quality brand might I add, they make great SCAR's from what I hear), ICS (I Chih Shivan), RS (Real Sword) and such. I think CA might be on the list of things coming soon.

2) Not really. I would rather go with TM(Tokyo Marui), G&P, VFC (Vega Force Company), CA (Classic Army) and brands like that

3) I don't know. No it just gives you varying amounts of "real estate" to put accessories on (ie. PEQ box, Flashlights, Optics, etc.), that being said there are a few things to consider including "barrel wobble" and having a 1 piece outer and a free float system to take off weight from the barrel.
Old March 6th, 2010, 22:22   #32
zollen

Send a message via ICQ to zollen
Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
1) Not really. There are a few companies that have VFC (a high quality brand might I add, they make great SCAR's from what I hear), ICS (I Chih Shivan), RS (Real Sword) and such. I think CA might be on the list of things coming soon.

2) Not really. I would rather go with TM(Tokyo Marui), G&P, VFC (Vega Force Company), CA (Classic Army) and brands like that

3) I don't know. No it just gives you varying amounts of "real estate" to put accessories on (ie. PEQ box, Flashlights, Optics, etc.), that being said there are a few things to consider including "barrel wobble" and having a 1 piece outer and a free float system to take off weight from the barrel.

Any trusted Canadian online retails selling TM, G&P, VFC and CA?
zollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 22:28   #33
Shooting Addict
* KNOWN LIAR *

Mach1 has VFC and there bringing in CA soon.
You can tell a person over and over that 4 + 5 = 9 and show them the mechanics of how addition works, but at the end of the day when you look into their eyes you know damn well that in their heads they still see 4 + 5 = pineapple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Harden the fuck up, you liberal pussies.
Shooting Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 22:51   #34
zollen

What are the best assault rifles (except m4) for mod/upgrade?
Old March 6th, 2010, 23:26   #35
zollen

Thanks for all your advices. I have updated my wish list accordingly.

VFC SOPMOD M4

A.C.M. 3-9x32 Blue Rangefinder Rifle Scope With Red Dot Laser

A.C.M. Offset 30mm Aimpoint Quick Detach Mount

A.C.M. Electro Red 4 Recticle Reflex Sight Scope (BLACK)

DBOYS M4 Ported QD Silencer

Element Vltor Replica Flip Up Front Sight

Compact Fore Grip

Looking for a better silencer. Any idea?

Last edited by zollen; March 8th, 2010 at 19:55..
Old March 6th, 2010, 23:33   #36
iggim109

Quote:
What are the best assault rifles (except m4) for mod/upgrade?
well G36 is some what easy to mod
Old March 6th, 2010, 23:46   #37
L473ncy

MP5 is a V2 gearbox (shares the same gearbox as the M4/16) as well so that's an option for internals. External wise not too many things are made that I've seen just a basic rail system and your standard attachments including rail covers, flashlights and PEQ boxes.

AK is good as well, it's a V3 mechbox and pretty common as well so internal upgrades are easy to come by. BUT A lot of people who try the "tacticool" AK look make it look bad IMO. I've seen a few "tacticool" AK's that I like but a lot of ones that I've seen I think are ugly as hell.

Also note silencers don't actually work at all. They're mostly just for show and to hide extra long inner barrels. They do suppress some sound but most of the noise is coming from the gearbox/motor area.

Read the FAQ's and you'll see a list of items that aren't prohibited from import, basically a lot of the items you want can be imported (guns and metal bodies are a definite no no but most accessories are fine, as well silencers are a grey area and although shouldn't be seized sometimes do).
Old March 6th, 2010, 23:54   #38
zollen

I definitely stick with Canadian retails.
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:19   #39
methodicalryan

1) Does anyone know if Mach1 is just a distributor and deals with the public through their online site, or do they have a store front with a display of their products?

I ask because they say they're located in Toronto, but every time I call the provided number, no one picks up.

2) Who, in Toronto is available to AV. Because I've gone to the AV section of this site and have PM'd a handfull of guys on here and did not get a reply back. I'm located at Leslie & Finch, but I can pretty much meet up anywhere in the GTA as I have a car.
methodicalryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:34   #40
m102404
Tys

1. They do sell direct as well as distribute. PM/email is best. No store front...yet.

2. Go to TTAC3 and see Brian. PM to see when he'll be there, or check out the games section, he runs stuff pretty much every Friday night.

To the original question re. scratch building....
I've built a couple of rifles from scratch, simply modded existing ones and fixed up a few. This is just my own opinion for a guy just starting out.
- if this is your first AEG and you don't know pretty much anything about them...don't scratch build. Buy a working one and mod it. You're likely to run into fewer headaches this way.
- if you decide to mod something...try to get a base that's as close to what you want
- if you are going to scratch build it, stick to the same manufacturer for pretty much all parts, it'll minimize the fitting/tolerance headaches...G&P is probably going to offer the largest/widest variety of options
- I would highly stress to you NOT to choose a clone as a base or pick/choose a bunch of clone parts....you may very well end up with a crooked stick and 8 shades of black.

When you're putting together a rifle you are essentially looking to build a shell (exterior) and stuff a bunch of geared/spring/piston/stuff inside it. Concentrate on the shell first...the internals can follow and are easily/plentiful to get. If you're buying used to get a base for the build...buy the best "shell" that you can.

I've worked on literally hundreds of mechboxes...
- if I needed one for my own rifle now...I'd buy a complete one (probably a G&P although I'd consider a complete Modify one since I haven't tried those yet) and just retweak/check it over. I would not bother piecing a mechbox together one part at a time.

Best of luck,

Tys

Last edited by m102404; March 7th, 2010 at 11:45..
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 21:25   #41
zollen

I like the following holographic sight

E0 Tech 553 Replica

1. Which holographic sight is better 551 or 553?
2. Why would someone put both holographic sight and scope together?
3. If yes, is it feasible to mount both 553 and Rangefinder rifle scope together?
4. Should I place the holographic sight in front of or behind the scope?

Last edited by zollen; March 7th, 2010 at 21:32..
Old March 7th, 2010, 21:30   #42
L473ncy

If you're budget conscious a Huang replica 551/552/553 might be a better idea.

He's located at Oriental Centre in Toronto from what I know under "Huangs Outdoors Shop".
Old March 7th, 2010, 22:14   #43
kaiu

Quote:
I like the following holographic sight

E0 Tech 553 Replica
1. Which holographic sight is better 551 or 553?
2. Why would someone put both holographic sight and scope together?
3. If yes, is it feasible to mount both 553 and Rangefinder rifle scope together?
4. Should I place the holographic sight in front of or behind the scope?
The main difference between the different series are the batteries they use, and their target sight thinger.... (I got the 552 because it uses AAs)

From what I've seen, holograhic sight goes IN FRONT of the scope....
Holographic sight is usually 1x magnification... So if you want to be more accurate at long range, you get a 2x, 3x, or 4x magnifier...

Dunno about the scope you're looking at, the magnifiers for aimpoint and eotechs don't have any target sights when you look through *i think*...

If you want to save money, there is the 552 from dealextreme, I find it to my liking at least... and it's not even 40 bucks
kaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 22:32   #44
zollen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiu View Post
From what I've seen, holograhic sight goes IN FRONT of the scope....
Holographic sight is usually 1x magnification... So if you want to be more accurate at long range, you get a 2x, 3x, or 4x magnifier...
Do you mean the following:

My Eyes -> Holographic sight -> Scope -> Target

What's the difference between Reflex sights and holographic sights?

Last edited by zollen; March 7th, 2010 at 22:40..
Old March 7th, 2010, 22:41   #45
L473ncy

Quote:
Do you mean the following:

My Eyes -> Holographic sight -> Scope -> Target

What's the different between Reflex sights and holographic sights?
From what I understand from my high school physics course (didn't learn this specifically but I'm applying the knowledge I have to the current situation) basically with a reflex/red dot sight your aim is "true" no matter which direction you're looking at the dot through (ie. you're looking through the sight at a weird angle the red dot will still be on the target that you're aiming at) where and what you're pointing at is where you're going to hit/shoot at. Whereas if you don't line up your iron sights properly it may shoot in the wrong place. I actually don't know if it does or not but that's the advantage that I know should theoretically come from a red dot or holo sight.

The holo sight I don't know I think that it's just a holographic projection of the reticule onto the glass (however with the red dot sights this is the same thing that's happening as well).
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank