Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Upgrading ICS M4

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old June 16th, 2010, 19:28   #1
JonnyC

Upgrading ICS M4

I have recently purchased an older model ICS M4 (Split Mechbox) from a friend, and am looking at upgrading/replacing the internals of the gun.
As far as I know the gun is completely stock, it functions and is well shimmed. However the performance is lacking substantially and I would be willing to put in as much money as it took to make it perform well.

I've been doing research and have been getting fairly mixed opinions about the ability to upgrade ICS platforms. Some say they are TM compatible (apart from the casing and anti-reversal latch) and some say they have a lot of issues putting non-ICS parts in.

I've put together a list of parts I was considering for upgrading, and would greatly appreciate some advice as to whether these would be good options for my ICS, or whether they wouldn't.

Guarder Poly Carb Piston
Prometheus Non-liner M110 spring
Systema Area 1000 V2 Cylinder Head
Systema Area 1000 Cylinder Type 1
ICS Version 2 Spring guide
Systema Duracon Piston Head
Systema Hop-up Bucking
ICS hop up spacer
Madbull V2 Precision Barrel

The motor in my ICS is the Turbo 3000, which I hear is quite good and able to pull very heavy springs. The gears are stock however, so would it be a good idea to upgrade these as well?

Any advice would be very helpful,

Cheers!
JonnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 19:32   #2
fleuryfighter

Send a message via MSN to fleuryfighter
Stay away From Systema Area 1000 parts i heard they were really bad from Amos
Old June 16th, 2010, 19:39   #3
JonnyC

What make of Cylinder and Cylinder heads would be a good bet?
Old June 16th, 2010, 20:20   #4
fleuryfighter

Send a message via MSN to fleuryfighter
Modify or prometheus
I got a Modify Cylinder head and cylinder for $20/$15 so $35 for both
Old June 17th, 2010, 18:24   #5
Death March

I have to say,I would go for the Prometheus tightbore over a Madbull any day and yeh stay away from the Systema area 1000 parts the other stuff from them is right on though!
I have the MA-56 upper for mine with Systema gears and a Prometheus tight bore thats been great for the past 4-5 years with the M120 spring.
Old June 17th, 2010, 20:19   #6
the_hellspawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death March View Post
I have to say,I would go for the Prometheus tightbore over a Madbull any day and yeh stay away from the Systema area 1000 parts the other stuff from them is right on though!
I have the MA-56 upper for mine with Systema gears and a Prometheus tight bore thats been great for the past 4-5 years with the M120 spring.
Sorry to bump into your thread JonnyC, but I got a little question for Death March (It might interest you thought)
I have the MA-54 upper and I keep destroying my piston with that thing. Any suggestions, or something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

HS
Old June 19th, 2010, 11:24   #7
Death March

PM sent!
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:05   #8
JonnyC

Quote:

Awesome, thanks a lot. I'm pretty sure I know what I need. The only thing I'm concerned about though is the ICS stock Hop-up and Air nozzle. I've heard you cannot really replace either, but how compatible are they (specifically the air nozzle) with TM compatible upgrade parts?
Old June 19th, 2010, 13:29   #9
RaisinBran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyC View Post
Awesome, thanks a lot. I'm pretty sure I know what I need. The only thing I'm concerned about though is the ICS stock Hop-up and Air nozzle. I've heard you cannot really replace either, but how compatible are they (specifically the air nozzle) with TM compatible upgrade parts?
Keep the ICS Hop Up and for the Air Nozzles, I have heard that some fit perfectly while others require a slight modification, usually sanding off the bottom
JG M4A1
RaisinBran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 13:51   #10
Kos-Mos

Keep ICS hop-up until it breaks. Then change it for an ICS hop-up...

Also, Modify nozzle for M4 works... If you want to know if you nozzle will work, it has to be AT LEAST as long as the stock one. Too short cause double feed. Too long will miss feed, but you can sand it down unti it fits.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 18:25   #11
the_hellspawn

Quote:
PM sent!
:-)
Old June 20th, 2010, 14:17   #12
JonnyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos-Mos View Post
Keep ICS hop-up until it breaks. Then change it for an ICS hop-up...

Also, Modify nozzle for M4 works... If you want to know if you nozzle will work, it has to be AT LEAST as long as the stock one. Too short cause double feed. Too long will miss feed, but you can sand it down unti it fits.
Okay great, I think I will keep the air nozzle stock, unless I notice any real problems. Thanks a lot.
Old June 20th, 2010, 14:57   #13
Ghost Nine

I've owned and fielded an ICS M4 for 4 years and I've put it through serious hell in over +70 games at +7 different fields in Ontario and (western) Quebec in many different weather conditions (mud & sand, rain & shine, night & day, cold & warm, except snow). My advise, keep it as stock and only bother getting replacement parts. Of the hell my ICS M4 has been through, I've only had to replace the tappet plate (from improper use of the Forward Assist [only suppose to use when after games and when opening mechbox for maintenance]) and hop up. Remember, ICS M4s can only take ICS hop ups. Then again, I'm not a Rambo who likes to hose people down with 3 consecutive minutes of automatic bursts.

However, if you really really want to run the risk of messing with your gun, I recommend contacting LUTNIT. I've always gone to him for gun work and general airsoft knowledge and he has yet to disappoint. He recently owned a super duper heavily modified and upgraded ICS M4, but downgraded and sold it, because it was too much of a headache to field. His ICS used to be a crazy monster, but I've seen him have to sit out or use a different gun in the middle of many games to deter me from heavily modifying or upgrading my ICS M4.

Again, if it shoots fine, I say leave it as it is. My 2 cents.

Good luck.
Ghost Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 23:51   #14
Green
a.k.a. greenpunk_182

can I ask why you are "upgrading" to an ICS V2 spring guide when it should already be installed in you stock ICS M4?

If you plan on swapping out the spring guide, go for a bearing metal spring guide (modify V2 available at airsoftparts.ca) for more consistent FPS which will equate to better accuracy.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 00:54   #15
JonnyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Nine View Post
I've owned and fielded an ICS M4 for 4 years and I've put it through serious hell in over +70 games at +7 different fields in Ontario and (western) Quebec in many different weather conditions (mud & sand, rain & shine, night & day, cold & warm, except snow). My advise, keep it as stock and only bother getting replacement parts. Of the hell my ICS M4 has been through, I've only had to replace the tappet plate (from improper use of the Forward Assist [only suppose to use when after games and when opening mechbox for maintenance]) and hop up. Remember, ICS M4s can only take ICS hop ups. Then again, I'm not a Rambo who likes to hose people down with 3 consecutive minutes of automatic bursts.

However, if you really really want to run the risk of messing with your gun, I recommend contacting LUTNIT. I've always gone to him for gun work and general airsoft knowledge and he has yet to disappoint. He recently owned a super duper heavily modified and upgraded ICS M4, but downgraded and sold it, because it was too much of a headache to field. His ICS used to be a crazy monster, but I've seen him have to sit out or use a different gun in the middle of many games to deter me from heavily modifying or upgrading my ICS M4.

Again, if it shoots fine, I say leave it as it is. My 2 cents.

Good luck.
Thanks a lot. I am getting so many mixed opinions, that I am getting more and more confused the more advice I keep getting. haha. For me a perfect AEG is one that requires little to no fiddling and messing around with. I would much rather go for reliability over massive FPS, ROF. etc. etc. I agree with your advice, but I have a question. If I were to replace most of my upper gearbox, would it be a better idea to go with the ICS MA-54/56 complete uppers, replace the piston with a polycarb, then downgrade the spring (say M100/M110) and leave it at that? Would the stock gears be fine handling that sort of setup?

Cheers!
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications