Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Hopefully this can/will ease some peoples mind of the future of airsoft.

:

General

Old September 25th, 2006, 23:01   #16
redhawk_six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Fighter
It is, or should be a well known fact that residents, including the police force in small towns are far more laid back with regards to just about everything ... airsoft included. I would be suprised if the police force in larger cities such as Toronto would have a similiar attitude.

At any rate I don't worry because I see airsoft guns for what they are intended to be, toys.
Surrey isnt a small town by any means.
redhawk_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 23:22   #17
Swoo

Surrey is very large. Im actually some what suprized that the constable would react like that. Surrey is known to have its crime problems.

Playing Naked = +1 Speed
Swoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 02:29   #18
jtf2-phalanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk_six
Surrey isnt a small town by any means.
It is small compared to Toronto though, but yeah, it's not that small. Surrey has a population of approximately 400,000. It's part of the GVRD which in total has a population of over 2 million people. It's also one of the fastest growing cities in Canada with about 800 people moving in every month. Sadly, I grew up in Surrey and will probably be moving back because housing here in Vancouver is becoming rediculous so I may part of that statistic.
Old September 26th, 2006, 04:45   #19
Kuraitenshi

Send a message via MSN to Kuraitenshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoo
Surrey is very large. Im actually some what suprized that the constable would react like that. Surrey is known to have its crime problems.
Understatement of the year.....

Bring the constibles on side and work our way up the chain.

Kuraitenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 07:06   #20
shadow1911
Banned

Send a message via MSN to shadow1911
Nice to know that not ever one is against us. But it begs the question of why more of us are not educating the local law enforcement on what airsoft is. I am willing to bet you put a gbb beretta in there hands, and they will not only support our sport they will play it as well. I am willing to bet we could drag that constable to a game and he would enjoy ever minuet of it. And it would help make him a better RCMP officer knowing how to think on ones feet.
shadow1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 10:23   #21
Kurgan

Send a message via MSN to Kurgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1911
Nice to know that not ever one is against us. But it begs the question of why more of us are not educating the local law enforcement on what airsoft is. I am willing to bet you put a gbb beretta in there hands, and they will not only support our sport they will play it as well. I am willing to bet we could drag that constable to a game and he would enjoy ever minuet of it. And it would help make him a better RCMP officer knowing how to think on ones feet.
I think this is an excellent idea. I would support and help with an initiative like this. Here is what I would suggest,

A couple of Airsofters in each area contact the local law enforcement stations and have a meeting with interested officers. Bring a variety of gear and equipment so as to properly demonstrate our sport. Kit should include at least 1 assault rifle, 1 handgun, communications equipment, a BDU or equivelent, proper eye protection, a copy of a game senario and rules and code of conduct.

These regional reps could be picked by local players, we'd need people who can speak intelligently and not get defensive about the subject. The intent would be to familiarize the officers with the sport and encourage them to join us for a game or even take up the sport.

I realize some people will get upset with the fact that I the sport be out in the open, only those who are afraid will try to stop you, and that goes for both sides.

How do you get people to handle guns with respect and caution?, educate them how do you get people to learn tolerance of the unknown? educate them.
Old September 26th, 2006, 22:10   #22
Hangingg

Send a message via MSN to Hangingg
I know i am new but I agree with Kurgan a positive reaction from any police force is going to help keep a positive spin on the airsoft community. If more police stand by you and play airsoft they can help downplay the stupid people who screw it up for everyone.
Afterall police are suppose to be well respected members of are community. Who better to help airsofters gain positive recognition for the games they play and the manner in which they are played.
Hangingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 17:01   #23
Xeero

This has actually been on our "to do" list for the Sudbury area. We've been pecking away at getting an official site setup and once the paperwork clears one of the first things we intend to do is to get a few of our more trustworthy members to speakw ith the local law enforcement (both municipal and the RCMP station that's a 5 min walk up the street from where I live). Explain the sport, show them the paperwork, etc.

It's been a big thing personally to me to make sure that we convey the best image possible to the community, to the point I'm hoping to get our airsoft group partaking in other events within the city as a goodwill thing (don't know how many will be up for that mind you :P)

But yes, educating local law enforcement, having a list of registered members, etc. so they know who you are 'responsible' for, etc. is an important thing. If they see the airsoft community as a whole is being responsible and safe we're less likely to take heat because of the actions of a few outsiders who only want to cause trouble.
Xeero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 15:55   #24
Kurgan

Send a message via MSN to Kurgan
So does this sound like something "Airsofters" would be willing to try on a National scale?
Old October 2nd, 2006, 23:41   #25
Aaidin

Maybe once work slows down I'd be willing to try that here in Mission/Abbotsford, BC. However I think there are many more 'key' players in the area who know more and could do a better job.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 00:01   #26
maxx

It's awesome of you to take such initiative. However, its the customs that are being total dicks (for the lack of a better word). :rrr:
Old October 3rd, 2006, 00:04   #27
Boxer

Personally I don't think that its the police that have the problem. It comes down to politics. This is how I see it.

You get a tragic incident like the shootings in Montreal way back in the 80's. You get people who are angered and believe that the whole cause of the incident is the GUN. So they form a special interest lobby group, play on the emotions of the people affected by these incidents and start lobbying the Gov't for stricter gun control. Thus comes in the Gov't. Who are mostly concerned about votes and staying in power than about researching the issue to fiind out its PEOPLE who kill, not Guns that kill. So they make laws and toughen legislation. Then comes in the media who plays on the fear of the viewer. The media who makes a living keeping everyone at a heightened level of fear. so the politians see this and say " Hey everyone is really scared about guns". so they start sending out there forces IE.. customs, RCMP who are only doing their job, to SERVE and protect. to crack down on the so called killers of our children. They come in looking for the GUN, or the toy that looks like the gun. In the end you have a country without any guns being OWNED by any law abiding citizen, the special interest groups are happy because no one OWNS a gun. And the criminals (Who do the killing and crime) still get to import and illegally use the gun to do the killings. So what do we do?

At least thats how I see it.
Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 00:08   #28
maxx

A gun is a tool, just like a hammer, or a knife or a pen.

Some folks still have problems realising this concept.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 00:16   #29
Boxer

Very true, Its all about educating the Gov't. dont educate the public. Educate the ones that make the decisions. Convince the guys in Ottawa that Airsoft is a sport that, when played in a controlled environment is a great game. Maybe even form a special interest group, talk to the gun clubs, deal with pro gun police admins that feel the same way. The police force on the whole only enforces the laws that are set forth through an act in parliment right. Its the gov't that needs to hear our voice. I would suggest that the current Gov't is the best Gov't to deal with this issue.

But that is just my opinion.
S!
Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:37   #30
Gryphon

I shudder when I think of the average ASCer going to "educate" their local police force.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General