Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

KJW 1911A1 ambidextrous safety options?

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old August 5th, 2013, 23:35   #1
Kuro_Neko

Send a message via ICQ to Kuro_Neko Send a message via AIM to Kuro_Neko Send a message via MSN to Kuro_Neko Send a message via Yahoo to Kuro_Neko
KJW 1911A1 ambidextrous safety options?

I have a KJW 1911A1, which has a thumb safety for right-handers only, and I'm looking for options for an ambidextrous or left-handed safety.

I know the KJW 1911 MEU has an ambidextrous safety, so my first thought was maybe using that part. However I contacted KJW directly and they informed me the MEU safety will not fit the A1. I did the google thing and searched this section of the forums as well. I found a few people asking the same question but no definitive answers. So I'm starting my own thread. Any KJW 1911A1 owners out there who have installed an ambidextrous safety? If so, please post your solution below. Thanks.
Old August 7th, 2013, 09:41   #2
PhantomPain

im left handed too, here an easy solution, hold the gun sideway in your left hand. use your right hand to remove the safety

or my favorite one: dont put the safety on when your playing
Old August 7th, 2013, 17:30   #3
MaybeStopCalling
Green Synergy

It's a single action gun with a lightweight trigger, not using the safety is asking for an ND IMO
MaybeStopCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 17:59   #4
Drakker
Official ASC Geomorphologist

At the very least, you need grips with ambidextrous safety cuts.

See an example: http://www.raascogrips.com/doineedambicut.html

I don't think there are other major differences between the 1911a1 and the MEU safeties, so once you add an ambidextrous safety cut to your grip panels, or you install grip panels with an ambidextrous safety cut, using a MEU safety should work. Note that you will need both the left and right parts from the MEU safety, the right side part alone will not fit with the 1911a1's left side.

Québec province's master age verification representative.
Drakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 18:19   #5
ARC-74
Can't Aim worth a damn!! old lady gives me heck for missing the toilet all the time.

The KJW ambi safety doesn't need the grip cut out.
Just snapped a few photos, this is the Guarder MEU safety, but it's pretty much the same as the KJW .

What you will need is a different frame pin. (The one that goes through the base of the hammer) See bullet below.

The MEU frame pin extends out on the right side and fits into a recess on the safety.
If you can get that pin from KJW along with the ambi safety it should work.

Last edited by ARC-74; August 9th, 2013 at 09:05..
ARC-74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 18:45   #6
Drakker

Oh right, I didn't think that the KJW MEU was using that kind of safety.

The type of safety I am talking about:

Requires a grip panel with an ambidextrous cut.

The type of safety ARC-74 is talking about:

Requires the use of the pin shown there.

I guess both options are good, the pictures above are for two NOVA ambidextrous safeties kit made for TM's 1911a1, they are 74$ at UNCompany. Getting the MEU pin from KJW is probably cheaper than getting new grip panels, so ARC-74's safety is probably better for you.

Old August 7th, 2013, 19:24   #7
Kuro_Neko

Send a message via ICQ to Kuro_Neko Send a message via AIM to Kuro_Neko Send a message via MSN to Kuro_Neko Send a message via Yahoo to Kuro_Neko
I already have grips cut for an ambi safety, so that's not an issue. I would love to use the KJW MEU ambi safety, but I have it from KJW directly that the MEU safety will not fit the A1. The notch in the slide is a different shape on the MEU then on the A1.
Old August 7th, 2013, 19:47   #8
Drakker

You could try this:
http://www.uncompany.com/pageproduct...p?prodid=33513

It's the ambidextrous safety I was talking about. Made for TM's 1911a1, so it may fit the KJW. It's the same type of safety that is found on Hi-Capas, this means you could try a Hi-Capa safety first. Hi-Capas are so common that you probably know a few people that have them, so testing it before buying it would take only a few minutes.

I know by experience that KJW's Hi-Capa safety lever do not fit in TM or WE Hi-Capa frames because the diameter of the KJW's swivel pin is larger than the holes in the TM and WE frames. It is possible that they use the same diameter in their 1911A1, which means the ambidextrous safety I linked to above would be loose. If its too loose and doesn't work, you would need KJW Hi-Capa safety parts.

Old August 8th, 2013, 08:37   #9
cailes

My KJW Les Baer is ambi, the same as that pin shown above, it should fit your 1911 I would think as they are both KJW, look up the parts list for the Les Baer and order factory from KJW
cailes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2013, 22:36   #10
Kuro_Neko

Even though KJW mentioned that the MEU safety will not fit the A1, I'm going to order one from them and give it a try, since their prices are so reasonable. If anyone else has any first hand experience or other suggestions in the mean time, please feel free to post. When the safety arrives from KJW I'll post in here the results.
Old August 14th, 2013, 23:22   #11
Kuro_Neko

I had went ahead and ordered the KJW MEU safety even though KJW had initially said it wouldn't fit. I just received an email from the KJW rep I was dealing with and she reported to me that she and some other co-workers actually went to the effort of getting an A1 and trying it out for me. She confirmed in that email that the MEU safety will indeed fit. For anyone who is looking to do this themselves here's the pertinent information:

Contact email (and paypal address):
kjworks@ms47.hinet.net

The parts you would want to be ordering:
KP-07 part 54
KP-07 part 54-1
KP-07 part 56

Total price including shipping:
$13 USD

I will update when I have the parts actually in hand, but I've had nothing but good experiences with the KJW sales team so if they say it will fit then I'll take it to the bank.

I want to say again, because it deserves repeating, that KJW has several times helped me out with spare parts and the service and pricing has always been top notch. If any of you need spare parts for your KJW guns, I strongly suggest you contact KJW directly rather then going through third-parties or with aftermarket parts.

Cheers,
Old August 14th, 2013, 23:58   #12
Drakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro_Neko View Post
I will update when I have the parts actually in hand, but I've had nothing but good experiences with the KJW sales team so if they say it will fit then I'll take it to the bank.

I want to say again, because it deserves repeating, that KJW has several times helped me out with spare parts and the service and pricing has always been top notch. If any of you need spare parts for your KJW guns, I strongly suggest you contact KJW directly rather then going through third-parties or with aftermarket parts.

Cheers,
+1 on that. They are always super helpful, its a pleasure to deal with them. Incredibly cheap prices too.

However some time ago they told me that their email address is now sales@kjworks.com.tw. Guess they still check the old one.

Old September 8th, 2013, 21:37   #13
Kuro_Neko

Parts finally arrived and I just finished installing them, works great. So anyone else with a KJW 1911a1 looking for ambi safety options, I can 100% confirm that this works. See my above post for the parts numbers and ordering details. Cheers.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications