Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

FYI: Transporting Airsoft Guns by Plane within Canada

:

General

Old September 25th, 2018, 11:59   #1
Kozure

Question FYI: Transporting Airsoft Guns by Plane within Canada

I recently looked through threads here for information on how to safely transport Airsoft guns by plane domestically in Canada, avoiding security hassles. The information I found was pretty old, so I asked on the ASC Facebook forum. Since that thread was lost when the ASC FB page was shut down, I thought I'd share my experiences here.

What you need:

1. Lockable, sturdy gun case for all Airsoft guns, including pistols (especially pistols)
2. Locks (non-TSA approved, apparently) for all cases
3. AEG Magazines unloaded.
4. GBB magazines all gas vented, unloaded.
5. Allow for extra time before boarding - add 30 minutes to whatever time you usually allow.
6. LiPo batteries must [edit: SHOULD, but it's really a good idea] be carried as carry-on items. I'm not sure about NiMH, so to be safe, carry them as carry-ons as well. [edit: regulation restrictions applies to LiPo specifically, but as airport security is not always keen on finer technical points, pack them as carry-ons]

Before You Leave For the Airport

As mentioned above, allow extra time for boarding. You will need about 30 minutes more than usual due to the more hands-on, manual check-in procedure.

Ensure that your gun case is sturdy and lockable, but that you can open it easily if you need to.

Make sure all your magazines are unloaded. Vent the gas magazines of all gas. If you are carrying gas magazines, they should be packed with your carry-on luggage (? to be confirmed). Obviously there should not be a BB in the chamber of any of your guns, but if you are practising safe handling, that should be the case already. Double-check, as you must sign a form that your guns and magazines are unloaded during the check-in process.

You may not carry CO2 or propane cylinders. Remove them from your magazines and do not carry them on board or in your checked baggage.

Remove all batteries from your guns and pack them into your carry-on baggage. This is especially important for LiPo batteries.

https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/guidelines-batteries

(note that link does not mention "LiPo Bags" as a requirement, but they are a wise choice for your own safety and that of your fellow passengers) Note that the chart indicates that LiPos are always permissible as carry-on but require "air carrier approval" for checked - avoid a hassle and just put them in your carry-on.

Here are the FAA guidelines, which differ from the CATSA guidelines above.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org..._batteries.pdf

Batteries, magazines, tac lights, anything with wires (chargers, etc.) will attract attention on security X-ray scans of your carry-ons. When you pack, pack all Airsoft accessories that might attract attention in such a way that you can pull them out and show them safely and easily to security personnel.

In General

Airsoft guns look like real guns. Pulling out something that looks like a real gun, even briefly, anywhere but at a range or a field, much less near an airport, is a really bad idea. Don't do it. As with any time you are transporting Airsoft guns in public, use extreme discretion and keep them in cases or bags at all times.

Yes, we all love guns. The airport security line is not the place to get on a soapbox about gun-ownership rights. Just keep your head down and follow orders. You can exercise your political views elsewhere.

At the Airport

Instead of doing the automated baggage self-check-in, line up for a baggage check-in counter and say that you need the forms for transporting airsoft guns. If they look at you blankly, say, "I need the firearm transport forms. These are Airsoft guns, a special category of firearms which require proper documentation with forms."

Some agents have not dealt with these forms often and may not immediately know what you need. A supervisor may be called. This is why you need to allow more time.

They should give you a short form to fill out with four copies (white, pink, yellow, blue). The form is simple and takes about a minute or two to fill out.

One form is kept by the check-in agent. One form should be attached to your boarding pass. Another form is left for you, and a last form will be placed inside your gun case (I believe it is the yellow one. They are clearly labelled). Ensure that this form goes in your gun case, but obviously do not open your case at the counter. There will be an opportunity to do that later.

Important Note: I knew in advance that I would be charged an extra $25 fee for the extra gun case (or whatever your airline charges per extra bag); what I did not know going in is that Air Canada charges a $50 firearms handling fee. Yes, this fee applies to Airsoft guns. You will have to pay that fee on each flight.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ial-items.html

I do not know if other airlines charge a similar fee.

After completing the form and checking your standard baggage, you should be directed to special baggage handling. Identify yourself to the agent there as having Airsoft guns. They may ask to confirm that your gun case is locked (I was asked, on both flights). This is usually your opportunity to put the appropriate form in the gun case. It is a good idea to make sure that form goes in the case in the event that the case is inspected again by different airport security somewhere along the route of travel.

The agent may ask if your gun is unloaded, including any magazines. This is also requested on the form. Since you should have done this before you left, this should already be taken care of.

I did not travel with GBBP magazines this time, but I was told by friends that you may carry GBB magazines as carry-on luggage if they are unloaded (no BBs) AND they have no gas in them. I would greatly appreciate it if someone can verify that, as this page makes it sound like they are prohibited:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ted-items.html

After dropping off your gun cases/bags, proceed through airport security as normal.

On Arrival

Depending on the size of your gun case, you may need to go to the oversized baggage pick-up to claim it.

Check that your gun is in working order when you get to a place where it is safe and appropriate to do so.

Other than the extra time involved in check-in, I had no hassles on my flights from Toronto to Kelowna and back. I wish you safe and easy travels with your Airsoft equipment too.

I should add that carrying AEGs from Toronto to Kelowna this summer was my first experience with doing this sort of thing, but I paid attention to answers given at ASC. If anything I have said is factually incorrect or can be done in a different, more effective way, please post here and I will edit the original post.

Last edited by Kozure; September 25th, 2018 at 17:20..
Kozure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2018, 13:28   #2
foxtrot-one7

Nice post.

This part might be the most important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozure View Post
On Arrival
Depending on the size of your gun case, you may need to go to the oversized baggage pick-up to claim it.
Having had issues at a few airports where they are careless and will just drop it almost anywhere in the baggage area.

www.canadiancrimsonforce.com
You Get Out of It What You Put Into It...
foxtrot-one7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2018, 15:56   #3
RainyEyes

This needs to be a stickie. The info on the forums needs an update and you've probably saved plenty of time for others by researching on your own
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2018, 16:03   #4
Kozure

Thanks for positive feedback. What I'd really like to confirm is whether it's OK to carry GBB magazines on an aircraft as carry-on luggage if you have vented all propane/green gas.

Last edited by Kozure; September 25th, 2018 at 16:09..
Kozure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2018, 18:15   #5
RainyEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozure View Post
Thanks for positive feedback. What I'd really like to confirm is whether it's OK to carry GBB magazines on an aircraft as carry-on luggage if you have vented all propane/green gas.
If we're allowed to speculate: no I do not believe it would be ok, merely based on the loose definition of "ok".
Here's my thinking from the previous travels:
Going through the security check they'll nost likely look through the X-ray and see it. If they notice they'll ask a million questions as to why you have it and if they go with the 1+1 rule they're going to think "if there is a magazine, where is the gun. If there is one gun, there MUST be more than one".

To save the hassle I would definitely not bring it as carry-on to avoid the headache and put it in checked baggage. You are not allowed to store anything compressed in checked either, but if you are able to prove they are empty canisters then hopefully it will be ok?
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2018, 20:55   #6
lt_poncho

Send a message via MSN to lt_poncho
Cheaper to Xpresspost/Courier it to yourself to your destination than deal with the hassle at the Airport. Even pre-9/11 i'd send it ahead the day before and it would be waiting for me.
Old September 25th, 2018, 20:56   #7
lt_poncho

Send a message via MSN to lt_poncho
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot-one7 View Post
Nice post.

This part might be the most important.

Having had issues at a few airports where they are careless and will just drop it almost anywhere in the baggage area.
THIS. Ottawa airport was so confusing we spent an extra 2 hours searching for 'Airsoft' baggage. Headaches r' us but hey some tend to go the hardest path out of habit.
Old September 26th, 2018, 07:53   #8
foxtrot-one7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt_poncho View Post
Cheaper to Xpresspost/Courier it to yourself to your destination than deal with the hassle at the Airport. Even pre-9/11 i'd send it ahead the day before and it would be waiting for me.
YEs, in some cases this could be a viable option for sure. Depending on the airlines, maybe cheaper too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt_poncho View Post
THIS. Ottawa airport was so confusing we spent an extra 2 hours searching for 'Airsoft' baggage. Headaches r' us but hey some tend to go the hardest path out of habit.
WOW! Such BS.

www.canadiancrimsonforce.com
You Get Out of It What You Put Into It...
foxtrot-one7 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General