Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Upgrade recommendations.

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old March 22nd, 2018, 09:55   #1
HeadzorTailz

Upgrade recommendations.

Hey new to the airsoft scene recently purchased my first airsoft(G&G GR4 G26 Black Rose) and was looking at some internal mods that I may like to make over time. Want to get a few ideas on what works what doesn't. The mods I was looking at doing were replacing the barrel with a promethus barrel changing the hopup to a 70° rhop(is this better than flat hoping), shiming the gear box installing a mosfet(not sure what would be a decent one but was looking at the Gate NanoAAB or something at that price range) and replacing the spring so I can obtain a more consistent fps of around 350(for indoor) and 380(for outdoor) I realize (or at least think I understand that) I'd need two different springs that I'd need to switch between for that but I have no idea on tuning springs and if I'd need to upgrade the whole piston assembly due to higher spring tension. Is it also possible to reprogram the automatic feature to be a 3 round burst? I've beenn trying to learn as much as possible but reading articles is not the same as asking people with first hand experience. Also I'm not 100% sure if everything I'm asking even really makes sense or at least some sense as I'm still just learning and may be confused as to the operation of some of these items. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated also is there anywhere I could go to have these mods installed(mainly for mosfet install + 3 round if it's possible the others I think I could manage on my own).

:duke:

Last edited by HeadzorTailz; March 22nd, 2018 at 15:43..
HeadzorTailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2018, 14:51   #2
Zfurlong

hey man, welcome to the sport and to the community.
so to answer your questions, if you plan on getting all the aforementioned upgrades done at the same time, I would recommend blackblitz airsoft and getting it done as a package deal. as for the barrel, I try to use nothing but promy barrels. as for the rhop, it does give better consistency and tighter groupings when paired with the right bucking. I use the modify grey bucking with the included nub on my r-hops. the bucking itself shouldn't matter too much as it is just there for the airseal mainly, as the patch that gets glued to the barrel is what actually is in contact with the bbs. shimming the gearbox is also a good touch if you want to get as much life out of the gears and piston as you can not to mention it helps with quieting the cycling of the gearbox down a fair bit as well. as for a mosfet, I would recommend going with a BTC spectre fet. if you are trying to achieve 350 fps, then yes a spring change is one of the easiest options in terms of lowering your fps. if you can achieve a good overall performance with that setup, then honestly, I would leave it at 350 and not bother trying to get the extra 30 fps for outdoor play (my ak shoots sub 300 on a .2 and still pushes .32's out to 200 feet consistently). if you are looking to change the auto feature to a 3 round burst set up, then I would go with the BOL burst mosfet (available from evike) instead of the BTC spectre fet. as for your understanding of the inner workings of your gun, you seem to have a good grasp of it overall and I am impressed to see that you took the initiative to find all this out on your own, as most people I come across say, I want the gun to do this this this and this and don't do any research into it at all, and don't want to spent the money on the quality parts either.

hope the above info helps, and once again, good job on the research you have done so far. keep it up.
Old March 27th, 2018, 18:16   #3
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
If you want 3rd burst you can get a GATE Merf. Not sure why Zfurlong mentioned a BTC Spectre as those are $250+

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 14:01   #4
HeadzorTailz

[QUOTE=Zfurlong;2019946.[/QUOTE]

Hey man thanks for the response I was beginning to lose hope. I really want to expand my knowledge on the sport and different equipment available, tactics things of that nature that will help me become a better airsofter and also be able to help others who are in my position. Part of my reasoning for the spring change was because my model allows for quick spring changes so it would be nothing to do on the fly when switching between venues and figured running a higher fps in field would help with consistency(as there's more factors at play outdoors) plus if I'm being honest if I get shot with a .28bb at 370fps I want to be able to return the favor when I respawn LoL. I will be looking further into those mosfets you recommended I think there's a way I can do it by running a lipo but I've seen alot saying to stay away from lipos for various reasons the main one being the no charging after the draining of the battery. Also what's the difference in buckings I didn't realize there were so many I was just under the impression that the green ones were better if you did more outdoors and for indoors it wasn't as big a deal as there aren't as many variables(hot/cold) to contend with. Now in regards to inner barrel I was looking at the Prometheus but they don't have it in a 233 which is my guns current length can they adjust a slightly bigger one down to size or could I just get away with a slightly longer barrel? To my understanding longer barrel will help increase fps slightly to however that's not my main purpose for making the change.
Thanks again for your help so far bud I really appreciate it. Cheers

:duke:
Old March 29th, 2018, 03:11   #5
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Quote:
plus if I'm being honest if I get shot with a .28bb at 370fps I want to be able to return the favor when I respawn LoL
Don't cheat and bypass FPS rules. They're there for a reason, including safety.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2018, 11:03   #6
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Just get a shorter barrel.
A 590mm barrel and a 200mm barrel have the same range and accuracy. Going from 233 to 205 or whatever isn't going to hurt.
Don't worry about your fps so much. If the limit is 1.48j (400fps on a .20) and you're shooting 1.35j (380fps on a .20), then that's good enough.
You will not see any noticeable gains with an extra 20fps.
Built properly, your 380fps gun can still hit 300ft of range quite accurately.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2018, 23:22   #7
Schock

I have been researching mosfets as well, and the Gate NanoAAB is on my short list. I was also looking at G&G ETU kit. That will give you a programmable mosfet for just a bit more than the Nano. My only concern with that one is that the wire harness looks too bulky to fit in the tight channel in my buffer tube.

What kind of velocity is your gun shooting now? you are going to get the biggest improvements to consistency by getting your gearbox shimmed, AOE set up, and upgraded barrel and hopup. Of course using high quality ammo goes without saying...
Schock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2018, 00:41   #8
HeadzorTailz

Sweet ya I'm gonna have to look into that mosfet my gun is a g&g so hopefully it'll go in without too much issue. When I get that I'll have one of the stores install it no way I'm mucking around with wires and soldering. I haven't taken the gun apart yet as it's still under warranty so no idea what the AOE is like no idea what any of the internals are like. It chronos approx 345-355 and I'm using .25 g&g bbs right now but I'm gonna use .28 for outdoors.
Old April 4th, 2018, 10:20   #9
Zfurlong

a longer inner barrel can always be cut down to size and re-crowned (ive done it many times to my own guns as well as to guns of people I play with at my local field. as for the hop buckings, there are that many different kinds because they each have their own chemical ratios for the respective brands. harder buckings are generally better for higher velocity setups (i.e 350+) whereas softer ones are generally for lower velocity setups (sub 350). again, this is just a general thing. I have used soft buckings in high velocity guns, and hard buckings in low velocity guns without issue. softer buckings will wear out faster than hard ones will however, no matter what velocity you are shooting at. as for the issue with lipo batteries, I use nothing but lipo batteries. in stock guns, and anything using up to a 9.6v NiCad or nimh battery, ill generally use a 7.4v lipo, as you shouldn't need anything more than that. but with a mosfet, depending on your setup, you will also be fine using an 11.1v. the issue with the lipos being dead, if you have a trickle charger, then yes, you can bring them back to life. just keep an eye on them and watch for swelling (yes they will swell over time anyway, but there is an acceptable level of swelling that is generally accepted when it comes to lipo batteries. you can find out more about that by visiting some of the r/c model forums). when it comes to the issue of you wanting to return the favor of getting shot at 370 with a .28g, I wouldn't worry about velocity as much as I would about the groupings, consistency when it comes to hop, and air seal. if you can perfect those three areas, you will be a lot more effective on the field than you will be by shooting right at the velocity limit of the field. my ak build that I have, shoots 247 fps (measured on .2's), pushes .3g bbs out to 200 and gets me 6 inch groupings at that range with those .3g bbs. meaning I am able to shoot a player through smaller gaps in cover and piss them off that way a lot more often than I can just by hosing them down with a spray covering a 3 foot spread at the same range.
what you need to do is to find the sweet spot for the bb weight you plan to use and hop setup you intend to use and then go from there.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications