Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

IR Lasers & DBAL's at games.

:

Accessories Discussion

Old January 26th, 2013, 03:26   #31
apparition

just throwing this out there but eye protection gives you a line of defence against a stray BB where as a stray laser there is nothing to stop it from hitting someone in the eye if it comes across them. Not trying to be rude or say your not be responsible but its completely different scenarios.

Congratulations; you have already won the contest!
apparition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 04:26   #32
Derpystronk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
it's a class 3a 3mw IR

And some people have been shot in the eye with BBs, so you think we should stop shooting BBs at eachother? lol

Like I said, just don't be a dick with it. I don't spray 50 round bursts at people's faces, and I don't shine IR lasers all about when I don't need to. I've got it on a pressure switch so I flick it on to line up my shot for half a second and shoot. And I'm already using NVD and can see a person if I'm going to shoot at them.
It's not like I'm waiving around a continuous beam like some jackass lol

Besides, I've employed and seen employed some things that are FAR more dangerous than IR lasers at airsoft games with no complaints... At least when I was using dangerous stuff I explained the risk to everyone
You do know that the output power of that unit is enough to cause permanent eye damage within the time it takes you to say "Oh crap it's on his face" and move the laser, right? If the person on the receiving end just so happens to be looking through a magnified optic while you graze him you will be carving his retina like a turkey on Thanksgiving.

If you have had no complaints about your running of that device on the field I'm going to take a guess and say you haven't properly communicated the actual risks to the other players. Given your explanation I think it's safe to say that you haven't, as you don't seem to understand them yourself.
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:42   #33
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Since you guys have already banned lasers on the field in your minds, there's no use arguing. So give me an alternative to using an IR laser that is as accurate and useful to aim with my NVD.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:58   #34
Viperfish

Quote:
Since you guys have already banned lasers on the field in your minds, there's no use arguing. So give me an alternative to using an IR laser that is as accurate and useful to aim with my NVD.
No we have banned lasers that are not rated eye safe.

what you have however is NOT an eye safe laser.

So your options are fairly simple.

Go out and buy a FDA documented eye safe laser like an OTAL/ITAL or a REAL DBAL or get a REAL military aiming laser that has a low power mode like the PAQ4, PEQ2 or PEQ15.

or

Go out and buy a sight that has an NV setting and then set it up on your rifle so you can aim down the sights while using your NV. The Sightmark optics the BB Bastard sells are a good inexpensive way to start.

or

Mount the NV on your rifle and put a sight in front or behind it and use it like an NV scope.

If all of these options are too expensive for you, then you will have no choice but to save your pennys and wait. But using your current laser would NOT but an acceptable option.

WOLFPACK WP-32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBR View Post
If you ever go to a milsim and hear a vuvuzela, you are fucked.
Viperfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 11:31   #35
Derpystronk

Lasers are not banned in Southern Ontario. In fact many games look like a Star Wars reinactment. The difference is all the IR lasers are Class 1. A class one laser is eye safe under pretty much normal conditions. Hypothetically Viperfish could laze me for an hour and I would be fine. Not that I want him to because despite it being safe it just seems like a dumb thing to do.

There are a few people who still have more powerful units. They are being educated and we usually see them with a new, legitimate unit by the next game. There is always someone trying to sneak a G&P DBAL on the field because they don't know any better, or they think it's "okay as long as I" etc, which is the wrong attitude to have when it comes to other peoples safety.
Old January 26th, 2013, 11:47   #36
bean
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to bean
Quote:

If you can spend the money on NVG's save your pennies for propper aiming devices like the rest of us.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 14:58   #37
pugs144

Quote:
That's why Eotech's have a "NVG" setting.
pugs144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 15:23   #38
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

This is actually a really good and informative thread.

If players out in Winnipeg didn't know that ThunderCactus was using a dangerous device on them.... they probably will know now.
c3sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 15:36   #39
-Trooper-
a.k.a. Egria

Quote:
That's why Eotech's have a "NVG" setting.
I'm going to play devil's advocate on this one. Have you ever tried aiming through your Eotech with NODs on? It's facking impossible and you don't get a good picture. That's why I decided to get an IR laser.

With that being said, if you can afford a NOD, you can afford to a good IR laser or save up for one in no time

PURVEYOR OF FINE PARACORD PRODUCTS

www.beaconconceptsco.com

Click Here For ASC Thread

Team GHOSTS - G86

Last edited by -Trooper-; January 26th, 2013 at 15:39..
-Trooper- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 16:11   #40
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Trooper- View Post
I'm going to play devil's advocate on this one. Have you ever tried aiming through your Eotech with NODs on?
Actually, I would say there is a very good chance he does this on a regular basis lol.
Old January 26th, 2013, 16:35   #41
bean
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to bean
Saying what you said is like saying I bring a 1000fps gun to games but no one has complained yet. Just because your doing it doesn't make it right.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 21:16   #42
mmmken

Just a question. How do we know if a laser has been officially deemed safe and as a Class 1 laser by the FDA? Is there a website that lists all approved models, or what?
Old January 27th, 2013, 21:29   #43
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmken View Post
Just a question. How do we know if a laser has been officially deemed safe and as a Class 1 laser by the FDA? Is there a website that lists all approved models, or what?
The laser will typically have an information card or product manual with it, on the inside it has all Government regulated information as to what is in the device, and how it is regulated by FDA.

Sometimes the device will have a sticker directly on it which also has all required FDA information. If not, it will have a manufacturers part number which can be referenced inside the manual or on that information card.

ANSI Z136.1- Safe Use of lasers
http://www.lia.org/store/ANSI/106A

Last edited by c3sk; January 27th, 2013 at 21:32..
Old January 27th, 2013, 22:37   #44
mmmken

Thanks for the information and the link, but what about foreign made (professionally made) lasers such as Russian made stuff as suggested by Deltastone? More specifically: http://www.laserex.net/pdf/LS-700%20IR%20BROCHURE.pdf

I still can't seem to find viable sources for anything ITAR'ed, so if the laser (0.4mW) linked above is permissible, I'm all for it.
Old January 27th, 2013, 23:09   #45
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmken View Post
Thanks for the information and the link, but what about foreign made (professionally made) lasers such as Russian made stuff as suggested by Deltastone? More specifically: http://www.laserex.net/pdf/LS-700%20IR%20BROCHURE.pdf

I still can't seem to find viable sources for anything ITAR'ed, so if the laser (0.4mW) linked above is permissible, I'm all for it.
According to the website it uses the Australian standard, however I do not know if this standard is the same or equal to the north american standard (Most likely it isn't) Best thing to do is contact the FDA or Health Canada and see if you can legally import it.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion