Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

What to change for Li-Po

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old November 30th, 2009, 12:01   #1
ragnagna

What to change for Li-Po

Hi, I would to put a Li-Po battery in my G&G GR16 Carbine and I would like to know wich parts I need to change to avoid problem with it. Thanks for the help!
ragnagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:54   #2
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Besides making sure the battery plugs are compatible and making sure you change your charger to a lipo charger, there isn't much else that you HAVE to change in order to get the gun to operate fine with lipo... assuming you pick a voltage, capacity, and discharge rate that is compatible with your setup.

ie, using an 11.1v 2800mAh 25C lipo pack on a 270fps AEG in full auto is probably the best way to destroy your gearbox.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 13:36   #3
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I'd recommend a 7.4v LiPo, it will give to a very similar rate of fire to a 9.6v NIMH of comparable size.
The easiest way to see what you need to make it work is to just run it on your gun and see what fails. Your replacing the parts anyway, it won't make much of a difference if they're broken lol
Good place to start is piston, sorbo pad, piston head and a fuse rated to the lipo your using.
If you want stupid high ROF, get the 11.1v, but your looking at a lot of internal upgrades.
Make sure you read everything you can on LiPo batteries. They're easy to take care of, but they can be very dangerous if your ignorant with them.

Last edited by ThunderCactus; November 30th, 2009 at 13:39..
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 13:51   #4
Grinch23
drywall bully

Send a message via MSN to Grinch23
wouldn't you have to renforce the whole mechbox because lipo makes everything so much faster?

Level 2 Certified BA Sniper

(Caesar's Ghost) & (T.W.A.T)
Grinch23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 13:53   #5
Amos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch23 View Post
wouldn't you have to renforce the whole mechbox because lipo makes everything so much faster?
If you're using 11.1

But if you choose 7.5 with the proper C rating it's just like using a 9.6 mini.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 13:56   #6
Con Murder

I just got a mark III trigger master and am now looking into a lipo battery as well. My question is can a 7.4v lipo fit in a 8.4v nimh space? That is to say, a space made for a 8.4v nimh.
Con Murder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 13:59   #7
Grinch23
drywall bully

Send a message via MSN to Grinch23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
If you're using 11.1

But if you choose 7.5 with the proper C rating it's just like using a 9.6 mini.
oh okay but will you get better trigger response? with the 7.5. As in better then the normal 9.6 mini?

Level 2 Certified BA Sniper

(Caesar's Ghost) & (T.W.A.T)
Grinch23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 14:03   #8
m102404
Tys

With most of the "airsoft" lipo batteries...I personally don't think so.

BUT...with the caveat that if your mechbox can safely/nicely run a large 9.6v 3000+mAh battery, it'll be about the same. If you're mechbox is going to throw up on a good bit of usage with a 9.6v battery...it's not going to be any better with a LiPo.

Not all batteries are created equal...and just looking at the Voltage number doesn't tell the whole story.

On the of common airsoft LiPo's that you'll find are the little 11.1v 1100mAh 15C "stock tube" LiPo packs. To me...there's little performance difference between those and a nice 8.4v 3600mAh large (sub-C) Intellect pack or a 1400mAh 9.6v mini. Maybe a little snappier...but not much. They're sustained burst of fire characteristic suck though.

But...bump up to a 11.1v 2000mAh 20C LiPo "stock tube" pack...and there's a distinct difference.

Same with the 7.4v LiPo's...which are probably a "safer" bet for mechbox longevity. A 7.4v 2000mAh 20C pack is pretty mild (in my opinion)

The big benefit of a LiPo is squeezing power into a really small (or relatively smaller) and light package. I can get a decent power supply in my 249 para with a LiPo without having to resort to a PEQ box or rewiring for an alternate battery location.

If you want to see how it'll be without dumping a bunch of money on a LiPo charger and battery. Buy a large 9.6v battery and give 'er. You may find that you don't like the way the ROF of full auto ramps up really high and empties your mag really quick.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 14:10   #9
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

You can fit a 7.4v lipo in the same space as an 8.4v NIMH battery
But there's hundreds of different shapes and sizes of lipo batts, you just have to find the right one for you (which isn't very hard at all)
an intellect 7.4v 1600mah 25C battery is the same size as a 7.2v 1500mah NIMH mini battery, with the same ROF/trigger response as a 9.6v NIMH mini.

Alot depends on the actual size of your battery compartment
If you have a compartment that can fit a 9.6v 1500mah NIMH battery, it could also fit a 7.4v 2200mah 25C LiPo, and you might be able to fit that LiPo into a compartment that only holds an 8.4v mini NIMH
But if your like me and you have your battery in an AN/PEQ-15, then your limited to a 7.4v 1600mah 25C LiPo, but unlike a NIMH pack, you can also fit a triggermaster MKIII and PCB along side the LiPo.

Last edited by ThunderCactus; November 30th, 2009 at 14:14..
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 14:23   #10
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Murder View Post
I just got a mark III trigger master and am now looking into a lipo battery as well. My question is can a 7.4v lipo fit in a 8.4v nimh space? That is to say, a space made for a 8.4v nimh.
That's pretty vague, because an 8.4v space can be very big (sub-C "large" pack), or very small (2/3A "mini" pack).
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 14:23   #11
Con Murder

Hmmm well I need one to fit in the Sig 552 compartment, and already have the mark III installed so I know I need it to fit just like a 8.4v nimh 1100mah. Is this possible or do I need the AN/peq box?

(On a side note what does the real An/Peq do, cuz if I need it I want to know what its a model of)
Con Murder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 14:32   #12
m102404
Tys

I think that was exactly what ThunderCactus wrote...yes.

You've probably got a 8.4v 1100mAh "mini" pack (made up of 7 x 2/3A sized cells).

Quite a few 7.4v packs will fit...but the different capacities of the LiPo cells will make them wider/longer.

Some sites are really good with dimensions...cheapbatterypacks lists the pack size (h x w x d).

Or buy from a Canadian source and just ask Jugglez to pull on off the shelf and measure it for you.

Google AN/PEQ...they do all types of stuff...just short of slide shows.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 14:37   #13
Mikhail

I have been playing with some very nice 7.4 and 11.1 volt lipos, and doing a lot of reading of what other folks have found...and it seems that is sorta depends on you motor, as it allows your motor to truly operate at 100%. So it depends on your particular motor (lots of differant behaviour depending on type and brand) and with your particular mechbox innards. If your mechbox parts isnt up to snuff, and fully energized motor will break them.

A stock unused team spare kraken ran a 11.1v lipo recently for 4000 rounds during a recent game, and then required just new bushings (plastic to metal..duh). It also got a shim and regrease, but that is assumed anytime I open a mechbox.

A lightly used stock kraken recently ran a 7.4v lipo for about the same amount with no problems (yet).

A older dboys AKSU 11.1v lipo ran ok recently, so perhaps the innards match the capabilities of the motor better and perhaps has metal bushings (It was not my AEG)....time will tell.

At minimum I would suggest having metal bushings if you don't already have it, and a willingness to upgrade anything else that breaks.

edit:whoops...lots of posts got in before mine.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 14:55   #14
Dirty Deeds

Send a message via MSN to Dirty Deeds Send a message via Yahoo to Dirty Deeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
Besides making sure the battery plugs are compatible and making sure you change your charger to a lipo charger, there isn't much else that you HAVE to change in order to get the gun to operate fine with lipo... assuming you pick a voltage, capacity, and discharge rate that is compatible with your setup.

ie, using an 11.1v 2800mAh 25C lipo pack on a 270fps AEG in full auto is probably the best way to destroy your gearbox.

zzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzziiiiiiiiippppp pppppppp!.........BOOOOOOM!

Those that wear the "Tin Foil Hat" stand on guard for thee. All others stand on guard for themselves.

Dirty Deeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 14:56   #15
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
I'll add in, buy and install a good aftermarket tappet plate, they are usually the first 'link in the chain' to break when it comes to 9.6V (or other equivalent) battery that boosts the motor speed. The tappet plate gets hit hard by the sector gear post, more so when you go for a larger battery. Am still baffled that all tappet plates are made out of plastic, but am sure there is a good reason why (cheaper to replace than gears when overstress is applied in the mechbox?)
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications