Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Opinions on Sionyx Aurora NVG

:

Gear Discussion

Old November 22nd, 2019, 22:44   #1
Jaeger_CDN

Opinions on Sionyx Aurora NVG

After doing a night watch with a PVS 14 during a MSW event, I got the bug of getting a set of NVG for local night games. I realise that the sionyx aurora nvgs are nowhere near the quality of a photonis tube set of pvs 14's but I'm curious if anyone here has used them and how they compare to a pvs 14 set.
Jaeger_CDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2019, 22:54   #2
Datawraith

TRex Arms did a really good video comparing them and highlighting the pros and cons of the Sionyx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3SN-ZSG7ls

Seems he agrees with general consensus where while it's okay, the tech just isn't there to be comparable to analogue night vision yet. Probably in the near future when processing power and sensor capabilities increase, digital night vision may start getting more competitive.
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2019, 13:42   #3
Metalsynth

Been using em all year, even started the ''airsoft sionyx user discussion group'' on fb and got lions and sionyx on board and chris from task force delta.

When you get into using the aurora you are wakling into a very different avenue though. It has pros that far exceeed nvgs and cons that could be a game changer in not getting em vs a pvs14 etc.... It's more about where you play and how well players are equipped and what works for you.

For example, if there is ambiant light near a town or there are a couple of lights in the area like a night time paintball field it's like looking through a normal camera in daytime it's really incredible but as soon as you get into really dark conditions, it gets realbad real fast.

If most people you know are running gen2+ and gen 3 you may want to reconsider and save your money. I've been drilling with both this and a gen2+ and my splits are like 40% faster just because the barely perceptable lag is not there.

Bear in mind, this is better than gen1+ etc... and pretty much all the digital scopes you can get on the market at that price point but it will still get barely beat by a gen2+ and get it's ass handed to you in good gen3 and up.

I've compared it to gen 3 also in case you are wondering. A cheap tube will be better like an omni3 etc... but it's not extreme compared to good ones.

If however you are using IR light this thing can be a monster. You get color night vision combined with GPS and a compass and 720p recording and pictures.

From what we've seen, we may get a free update soon that uses the gps function to basically have a hud that lets you see allies and objectives. I would be tempted to use that and a pvs running as binos, that would be a game changer as to getting the best of both worlds until we get something that is really worth while like 3x the sensativity of the actual unit would make this thing a real contender.

I'm still working on the 1050nm problem also, most nvg dont see past that but this could so if this manages to come to market that would be a real problem for nod users because while they have better sesativity to low-light, being able to run a 700lumens at 1050nm would make every dark spot a non issue for aurora users and nods would not be able to see that light. That is the theory but in practice what i've been able to find is leo/mil restricted so this could end up just being just a cool idea :/

I've navigated only using the compass in very dark woods with no moon and I could not see squat. You can check my vid on FAQMILSIM fb page here that shows you what that looks like.

https://www.facebook.com/FAQMilsim/v...5873598033696/

All this said, at the end of the day, it's still about the money or restrictions in certain countries.

This is a great alternative but it's like surfing a wave on something that was not initially planned. It works but it's not quite there yet, it still needs a small push for it to be a real contender.

Comes down to your means and the competition in your area. If a bunch of guys had the sports version with a cheap ir light they could have a lot of fun and record at the same time they are doing it.

Certified Level 2 BA Sniper
Si ton épée est trop courte, allonge la d'un pas. ( Proverbe Hongrois )
Metalsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2019, 01:34   #4
Kremator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalsynth View Post
I would be tempted to use that and a pvs running as binos

Please do this and post pictures.
Kremator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2019, 04:33   #5
Metalsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremator View Post
Please do this and post pictures.
A guy on fb called Nick Chen from thefirearmsblog already did if you want to see what that looks like.

Waiting for the update to see if it's a viable option.

Certified Level 2 BA Sniper
Si ton épée est trop courte, allonge la d'un pas. ( Proverbe Hongrois )
Metalsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2019, 01:30   #6
Kremator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalsynth View Post
A guy on fb called Nick Chen from thefirearmsblog already did if you want to see what that looks like.

Waiting for the update to see if it's a viable option.
I can't make fun of Nick for doing it though.
Kremator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2019, 19:00   #7
EOD Steve

I just had a chance to do the dual PVS14 and Aurora bridged thing. A video wouldn't be able to properly convey the experience but the short version is : it's not very good but it can get you in the fight. Read on for the longer version.

The biggest downsides for this particular setup are
* the viewfinder on the PVS14 is round while the Sionyx is rectangular. Notwithstanding the fact that one eye is doing the colour thing while the other is green (or white if you're doing the white phos thing), this makes the whole experience quite jarring. (yes I am aware you can switch to green mode). FOV was also quite difficult to line up due to the focal distances of the two devices. You are basically matching up 35mm equivalent to ~43mm equivalent. So everything in the middle lines up but as you get towards the edges it starts to come apart.
* there is lag on the Aurora while the PVS14 is real time. Again, this doesn't sound like a big deal but when one eye is observing one thing and the other is observing something else in another format, with lag, everything together makes the whole experience extremely nausea-inducing. This occurs because what your body is experiencing (turning, moving forwards) doesn't quite line up with what your eyes are observing. Your own experience and tolerance for this will vary.

I can't recommend the split setup. Get either both traditional NVG or both digital night vision.
I can see dual Auroras to be appealing but I cannot recommend it for anything requiring movement due to the lag and low light performance. It would be fantastic for tasks like CP guarding or stationary night observation or following your buddies out on a night patrol but you will either get sick and/or get your ass handed to you if you are dynamically fighting against traditional night vision.

The Steve has spoken.

Last edited by EOD Steve; December 4th, 2019 at 19:03..
EOD Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion