:

General

Closed Thread

Old January 29th, 2008, 23:57   #31
leblanc74

Send a message via MSN to leblanc74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres View Post
I actually learned a few things. Good work!
+1
Old January 30th, 2008, 00:11   #32
TokyoSeven
Red Wine & Adderall

Its nice to see a little bit of elaboration into the legalities of Airsoft in Canada. Having read that, I feel a little light has been shone upon that definition of airsoft being in a "grey area". Its nice that someone can lay it out like that.

Thank you HonestJohn for taking the time to type that all our and elaborate on the standing of airsoft in Canada.

Viva la airsoft.

"Its only a little bit on fire"

Last edited by TokyoSeven; January 30th, 2008 at 00:14..
Old January 30th, 2008, 00:28   #33
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
Thanks for taking the time to summarize all this in a "State of the Union" style post. Indeed things have not changed legally in the past few years but they certainly have from an enforcement perspective, and you characterize that very well.

I would suggest to those of you out there who do discuss these things online to be aware of the fact that those who are in the enforcement business do regularly monitor this board for intelligence purposes, and given the current state of affairs, I think some things are best discussed face to face at a game rather than aired in a Googleable public space. 'nuff said.
Old January 30th, 2008, 00:29   #34
CadetCatastrophe
Banned

Send a message via MSN to CadetCatastrophe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONSTER 125 View Post
you have all those guns and you are not 18? but how?
Before i found out all this info, my parents bought me them. The rifles are Firepower, and the pistols are Softair USA... right now all they are doing is sitting in my closet...
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:02   #35
MMMiles!
Part man, part machine

Thanks for all the thanks guys. I felt I could try and help clear up some of these nagging problems people have on this forum. I'll add a few more q&a's tomorrow if I can remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveTech View Post
I just want to point this out... all they have to do is look at the date of manufacture of the model of your AEG/GBB. Like you state though, they don't seem to care (at this point)
None of the airsoft I own has a date of manufacture on it, in fact some of false dates because of the guns they replicate. Besides, everything I own are prototypes I got in march of '98, aren't yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONSTER 125 View Post
i salute you! (speaking of which, why dont all of the little faces seem to work)
on to my real question. i am still confused after reading all of that as to airguns and airsoft. i thought i got it after you said that airsoft are replicas, but the thing i dont understand is that i could go to crappy tire and buy a 1:1 scale replica of a walter P99 pistol that was full metal and whatnot and was black. that to me seems like a replica. so why can't airsoft then be mashed into the same category?
By default airsoft and exact replica airguns (most are not exact copies but come very close) would be considered replicas and both be banned. Because the airgun industry is much more significant than airsoft now, and even more so in 98, they were afforded implicit protection from anti-replica legislation. However, it is not explicitly enshrined in any legislation, airguns just have a blind eye turned towards them, so I would definitely say the possibility exists to use it in our favour - the problem is that the fall back position for legislators would be to make airsoft and any replica airguns all illegal.

Last edited by MMMiles!; January 30th, 2008 at 02:07..
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:23   #36
MadMax
Delierious Designer of Dastardly Detonations

Location: in the dark recesses of some metal chip filled machine shop
Hahahah,

Quote:
*snip*airguns just have a blind eye turned towards them
I suspect that many airguns might pass the replica judgement as they at least do not replicate a particular firearm even if many do look like a rifle. Excepting the P99 replica airguns that is.

Old January 30th, 2008, 08:38   #37
ancorp
AK Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Hahahah,

I suspect that many airguns might pass the replica judgement as they at least do not replicate a particular firearm even if many do look like a rifle. Excepting the P99 replica airguns that is.
You'd be surprised how many replica airguns there are. A lot are made by Umarex.
Old January 30th, 2008, 09:54   #38
DarkAngel
* Age Verifier status suspended *

Send a message via MSN to DarkAngel
amazing! been looking for a centralized Q&A about this for a LONG time as ive been confused as hell from the many different stories ive heard of what actual airsoft law/guidelines are. Thanks for setting this in stone Hojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestJohn View Post
Besides, everything I own are prototypes I got in march of '98, aren't yours?
the 226 from asca way back are prototypes from march of 98 as well right hojo? *wink*

also, is it illegal to exchange ownership of an airsoft without the xfer of money? For example, gifts, trades etc

Certified Sniper Clinic Instructor and Counter Sniper
Sentinel Arms Customs - Specializing In Unique, One of a kind guns

Last edited by DarkAngel; January 30th, 2008 at 10:02..
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:43   #39
vatek

Darkangel, your question was addressed in Hojo's post already.
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:44   #40
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post

also, is it illegal to exchange ownership of an airsoft without the xfer of money? For example, gifts, trades etc
Transfer means to leave one person"s possession and enter another's there is no mention of money changing hands
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:42   #41
DarkAngel
* Age Verifier status suspended *

Send a message via MSN to DarkAngel
thanks Brian

vatek it was a joke lol XD

Certified Sniper Clinic Instructor and Counter Sniper
Sentinel Arms Customs - Specializing In Unique, One of a kind guns
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:57   #42
techobo

So my understanding is that if you have purchased airsoft after 1998 you have committed a crime, possession of a prohibited device. Albeit, you will probably be left alone by the authorities if you are a responsible owner. In addition, the the government most likely does not have the resources to go after everyone that has purchased airsoft after 1998. None the less, you have committed a crime, and could in theory be prosecuted. Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't happen in the future.

It may be hard to prove that your gun was purchased after 1998, but if asked, I am not one to lie, which seems the only way to make owning a post 1998 gun legal.

So there really are two answers to the question, "Is airsoft legal to own?"

1. If you purchased it before 1998, yes.
2. If you purchased it after 1998, no.
Old January 30th, 2008, 13:04   #43
Cheesevillage

Laws are there to protect the people. But we ARE the people!

-Cheese
Old January 30th, 2008, 13:47   #44
Crunchmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancorp View Post
You'd be surprised how many replica airguns there are. A lot are made by Umarex.
Umarex seem to lead the pack in terms of realistic replicas in terms of air guns. I have the Walther PPK/S and P99 Compact, the Beretta Px4 Storm pistol, and Beretta Cx4 Storm Carbine. While I don't have access to the real steel to compare them directly, comparing pics of the real guns to my air guns, they seem to be some really close matches. These pistols are all GBB too, which maked their operation just as realistic as an airsoft pistol. It's a very unfair law, to say the least.
Old January 30th, 2008, 14:00   #45
Rumpel Felt

Send a message via MSN to Rumpel Felt
Why must our country be like the legal laughing stock of the world. Our laws are so inefficient I get the picture of some beurocrat banging us on the head with a blunt club all day long.

Like seriously, if they want airsoft banned....then why don't they just fucking acknowledge it clearly and ban it??

If they want to tax the shit out of it and make money, why don't they get off their asses and do that?

Why don't they just make up their fucking minds? And why must our country be so soccer momish. Why can't they actually send someone out to do a case study on airsoft or something if they haven't already picked up enough about what it's really about on these boards.

As I was discussing with this 80 year old woman from Germany in my work, our government blows! And she was in quite the position to lecture me on efficiency and government issues being 80 and German and having lived there and all.

I know legal proceedings take for fucking ever, but seriously....There's what, only 32 millionish people in this country? It's now been almost 10 years since the last semi-direct action has been taken against airsoft and the hobby has done nothing but flourish in that time. If they have people watching us then they obviously have some intrest. Why the fuck can't they just do something?!?! (something good )

Last edited by Rumpel Felt; January 30th, 2008 at 14:04..
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General