Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Ops Core Fast BaseJump vs Protec Bravo Half Shell

:

Gear Discussion

Old March 17th, 2013, 15:52   #1
Buzzballer

Ops Core Fast BaseJump vs Protec Bravo Half Shell

So I'm looking for a new helmet for rappelling, rope work and what ever excuse I can find to wear it. Does any one have any experience with the OpsCore Fast BaseJump model or the Protec Bravo half shell helmet cut for noise canceling hearing protection. What im looking for is a helmet that will offer bump protection with the ability to use noise canceling headsets. Balistic protection is not needed at this time.

Does any one own both? Or have some experience with them?

Any thoughts on if the Ops-core helmet is really worth the extra money?

Ops-Core Fast

PT Bravo
Buzzballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 16:41   #2
Berkut
PinkEagle

I have protec half shel for use with ear pro. It is awesome! I tried Ops core. I like their suspention/harnes sustem more. It is by far more comfortable than Protec. Using Ops Core wirh ear pro, you will need rail adapters for comfoetable fit.

G63
Berkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 16:46   #3
panzergrenadier

The Ops-Core Base-Jump is definitely worth the money.
You won't be sorry if you get one.
Old March 17th, 2013, 19:00   #4
OM3GA

I have experience with both and I would pick the ops-core because of it's comfort. Now that doesn't really answer the question of "is the ops-core worth the extra money?" What I would say is yes if you are willing to spend that extra almost $200 for because it is worth the price, and no if you aren't willing to.

The protech is a great helmet for what it costs and if you just need a helmet that does it's job, the protech is great for that. If you want a comfortable helmet with all the bells and whistles the ops-core is the obvious winner.

Durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis.
OM3GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 19:56   #5
swatt13
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
I have protec half shel for use with ear pro. It is awesome! I tried Ops core. I like their suspention/harnes sustem more. It is by far more comfortable than Protec. Using Ops Core wirh ear pro, you will need rail adapters for comfoetable fit.
The ops core is designed for ear pro to be worn with the helmet between the shell and the retention harness so you don't need the rail adapters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven
a Systema PTW is like KD, where the noodles are plated in gold and the cheese sauce is actually a pool of hot naked women.
swatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 20:26   #6
Buzzballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatt13 View Post
The ops core is designed for ear pro to be worn with the helmet between the shell and the retention harness so you don't need the rail adapters.
I had read that you are able to remove the padding and install your ear pro then replace the padding? The OpsCore helmet seems like the obvious better choice but for 3x the money. It doesn't seem like there are many other options out there, short of the Wendy exfil helmet.
Old March 17th, 2013, 20:27   #7
Buzzballer

Thank you for all the input so far guys. My only concern with the Protec is it doesn't look like it would absorb much of an impact as a helmet..
Old March 17th, 2013, 20:55   #8
OM3GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzballer View Post
Thank you for all the input so far guys. My only concern with the Protec is it doesn't look like it would absorb much of an impact as a helmet..
It will protect just as well as the ops-core in regards to impact. After all it was designed for jump operations.

Durate et vosmet rebus servate secundis.
OM3GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 21:06   #9
MASAKO

To OP, what is your bucket size ? If you don't mind used then I can give you a deal.
MASAKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 21:45   #10
Azathoth

Own a real Base jump. Skiing, quading, climbing then airsoft are the activities i've used it for. Excellent helmet. Cannot comment on the protec, however the basejump can use ear pro with the rail adaptors OR you can slide the headband under the retention system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 08:36   #11
Buzzballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
Own a real Base jump. Skiing, quading, climbing then airsoft are the activities i've used it for. Excellent helmet. Cannot comment on the protec, however the basejump can use ear pro with the rail adaptors OR you can slide the headband under the retention system.
Azathoth did you buy the Basejump with the chin strap that cups your chin or the sport model with the typical style under the chin strap? How do you find it for skiing?
Old March 18th, 2013, 09:14   #12
m102404
Tys

I've got a Protect A Alpha...it's cut out for comms and has a little section of rail above the ears for whatever. TBH...don't know what the difference between the alpha and bravo is...they look very similar.

There definitely seems to be enough padding to do what it's intended for...and it's definitely saved my noggin a couple of times. Mine fits well...in that if I didn't do up the chin strap and moved my head everywhich way it wouldn't fall off. Having it in place properly when you take an impact is a huge part of it.

Some guys will remove some of the padding on the crown of the head area to make room for earmuff bands...or go with the rail attached types.

Somewhat minor point...with my ESS Profile goggles on my helmet, when I have my goggles up on the brow of the helmet to use shooting glasses it'll be iffy that they'll flip off vs. staying in place. There is a goggle strap on the helmet so I've never lost them, but it's annoying at times. That didn't happen on an old Mich2000...dunno about any other helmets. I haven't tried any alternative goggle strap/clip systems with it...it works well enough not to feel like I need to do something about it.

I don't have an ops core...I've seen/tried on some. I really think the chin strap setup is better. From what I've heard that makes a noticeable difference when you start hanging NODs/stuff off your helmet. The Protec has a little straight piece of rail...the others have more rail options. That's cool for hanging stuff off it (lights/cameras/muffs/etc...etc...etc...). I don't have anything on my rails usually so not a factor for me.

99% of how effective it will be and how comfortable it'll be will likely come from your head and finding a padding setup that works for you. I'm pretty sure some of the guys have spent as much on different padding sets as they have on their helmets.

I got my Protect used for $50. That's a long way apart from the cost of an OpsCore.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 19:31   #13
pugs144

I modded my Protec Classic by cutting out the ear portion to accomodate Comtacs and replaced the stock chinstrap with a USGI MICH one. I then added Huang's clone ARC rails by using just a little zap from a heat gun in order to mold it to fit. The clone Comtac rail adapters fit quite well.

It was a fun build that kept me busy over the winter. Thanks to SINN for the tips!
pugs144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2013, 19:55   #14
Wrath144
formerly steyr

Pugs, can you post a pic? I've been thinking about trying that exact mod with the ARC rails to a Protec.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 22:12   #15
pugs144

As requested. It's a WIP since I'd need a NVG mount to complete the "look".

pugs144 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion