Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

So I got a letter from CBSA...

:

General

Old August 26th, 2016, 13:03   #1
Sputmilk

So I got a letter from CBSA...

Hey there.

A couple months ago, like an idiot, I tried to import a metal kit for my TM P226 without fully understanding the laws. That's my own fault. I'm a dope. It's been sitting there since July 31, and I just got the letter today(August 26th).

I am a bit slow in the head. I want to get that out of the way before I ask for a bit of help.

The description of the goods is "airsoft lower receiver", and it is being detained "TO DETERMINE ADMISSIBILITY". I have no idea what I'm supposed to do except for where it says to contact "the following address concerning the requirements that have to be met".

I have no idea what the requirements are. I am assuming they want the "Shipper's reference number" and "Location of goods"?

I have no idea where to start, because I'm a big idiot and because it's not being spelled out to me. Can anybody with experience with this help me out?

Last edited by Sputmilk; August 26th, 2016 at 13:23..
Sputmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 13:16   #2
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Call the CBSA, explain your situation and the letter and ask for clarification. Be cooperative and polite and reiterate that it's just a body kit that'll only fit on an airsoft gun. This is my recommendation anyways. Usually they expect a letter explaining yourself.
Old August 26th, 2016, 14:04   #3
Sputmilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
Call the CBSA, explain your situation and the letter and ask for clarification. Be cooperative and polite and reiterate that it's just a body kit that'll only fit on an airsoft gun. This is my recommendation anyways. Usually they expect a letter explaining yourself.
Alright, I gave them a call using the number on the form. I got an automated response saying that if I received a notice of detention it is going to be reviewed for entry into Canada.

So this is just a letter letting me know that it's going to be reviewed. If they aren't going to let it in, they send me another letter that outlines 3 options I can take from there. They don't mention what the options are in the message. So I guess I'll be doing some more waiting. I wasn't sure if I should take action now, but the message said to just wait.

Thanks for the response!

I'll update this down the line. They say it could take 4 to 6 weeks before they decide. They seem to know it's for airsoft so I am hoping the officer assigned to my case knows it's basically just a toy.
Old August 26th, 2016, 14:19   #4
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

-appeal
-destroy
-return to sender
I'm guessing are the 3 options
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 14:34   #5
Sputmilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
-appeal
-destroy
-return to sender
I really hope RTS is an option if it's not allowed in. Also hoping Airsoft Global will understand and take a return if that has to happen. It would really suck to be out about 300 CAD.

I really should have asked a retailer to help order it in in the first place.
Old August 26th, 2016, 14:39   #6
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
-appeal
-destroy
-return to sender
Not yet.

Basically they sent you a letter to tell you why it's being held.
They will have an "expert" decide if this is considered a prohibited item or not.

It it clearly states that it's for airsoft only on the boex ect., they either will let it go or send you an other letter telling you that you have the 3 options above.

If you want to appeal, better find a stupid-proof way to prove your kit fits on a "legal" (read "legal" as "against forum rules, not AV section") airsoft gun. Depending on where you bought it, if the seller has listed a modified TM pistol that is "legal", they you can say it's replacement parts for this model.
You can probably also find a local store that carries the upgraded TMs to write you a letter stating that this is again replacement parts for the "legal" model they have for sale.

You also should include the relevant sections of the Criminal code/Firearm act/CBSA memorandum (can't tell you what here, not AV section).

It's a lot of work/time for a receiver kit...
You might want to check if you can have someone in the US where you can reship/export and import the kit yourself after (drive down and declare properly on the way back, DON'T SMUGGLE! That can fuck you life).

Also, RTS/reship is EXPENSIVE, because at that point it is considered a dangerous good/prohibed item and you need a bonded carrier that can export prohibited firearms (hint, CanadaPost/USPS is NOT).
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 19:48   #7
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
U dun fucked up son
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 19:48   #8
Sputmilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRage View Post
U dun fucked up son
Ikr? Such a bad decision.
Old August 26th, 2016, 22:58   #9
Foodbasics

There is a fair amount of misinformation in this thread.

OP, read over this appeal to get a feel for the laws. It's pretty much identical to your situation.

http://www.citt.gc.ca/en/node/7448

You're going to need to prove that the body kit is a part designed for a firearm and not a replica firearm. It's going to take a lot of work and take a long time and even then I am not sure you will win. They're going to want to see that the body kit is for the Canadian Version of the TM 226. Proof of the item being available in Canada is not acceptable and they will not even take it into consideration.

When you get your notice of seizure it will explain how to export the product. That's the return to sender option and you will have to arrange that yourself. If you do not arrange for exportation I believe they will destroy it.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Foodbasics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 23:23   #10
Sputmilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodbasics View Post
Thanks for the link, helpful read. Welp, looks like I'll have to arrange a refund of some kind or eat the cost.

I am in between knowing I am a true idiot and hating the CBSA for not considering that it's a toy. Fuck me. I need cheaper hobbies.

Edit: I contacted airsoft global and they'll refund the cost of the item if I have to send it back. What do you all think it's gonna cost? I think they're based in Taiwan so I know it won't be cheap.

Last edited by Sputmilk; August 27th, 2016 at 02:33..
Old October 3rd, 2016, 12:39   #11
Sputmilk

I wanted to give an update:

Got my letter from PIU, they aren't going to let it in. So now I have to find a bonded courier. How do I even search for one? I've tried google for a while and can't find anyone that will do it. All I get are pages explaining how to become a bonded courier.

Any help would be appreciated but it isn't necessary. Just wanted to let you all know it didn't work!
Old October 3rd, 2016, 13:26   #12
Karnage

Send a message via MSN to Karnage
UPS would be an easy one.

http://www.torontoairsoft.com : Free shipping on Orders over $300!

Sorry I can no longer keep up with PMs. Please use the contact form on the website to reach TorontoAirsoft.com staff.
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 13:29   #13
Sputmilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage View Post
UPS would be an easy one.
Well, fuck. It's pretty clear from this thread that I am an idiot, didn't even think of UPS. Thanks a lot!
Old October 3rd, 2016, 15:07   #14
AnthonyG
LUser Title

Pretty sure Purolator is bonded.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

*Busy signing for his packages*
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 16:48   #15
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Pretty much say byebye to your parts and your money.

Don't do that again.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General