Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Rothco boots" somebody know this brand?

:

Gear Discussion

Old July 20th, 2014, 12:26   #1
Heerven

Hi

I'm looking to get this kind of boots. I don't fully trust the comment on amazon.

I would like to know if somebody can give me a feedback.

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005WWYHRI/r...HT0TB2AR&psc=1

Heerven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 12:35   #2
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

In my experience, rothco makes the worst boots ever. They're a chinagear company.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 13:21   #3
DrunkenTeddy
FatJ

I bought a pair..... my feet hurt a lot after wearing them. For a cheap pair, if you add some thick insoles, they might be okay, but you're better off spending a bit more. I paid $100 for some hunting boots from cabelas and they have been great.
DrunkenTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 13:58   #4
Jimski

if you want good boots, not too expensive, try to avoid tacticool gear.Civilian hiking gear has plenty nice cheap brands.
Old July 20th, 2014, 16:59   #5
Memphishills

I own a pair of those and was quite happy with them. I did add an insole, but I do that to pretty much all my shoes. Wore them all winter and they faired well, gamed them a few times and they aren't really waterproof so sloppy mud would eventually make them wet. I game with 5.11 tacticals now, but plan on wearing the rothcos again in winter as they were an easy boot to get in and out of and don't require full length socks.

My buddy who just started playing and didn't want to invest in boots has been borrowing the rothcos since I don't game with them anymore, and he's been quite happy and wanted to buy them off me.
Memphishills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 21:03   #6
Heerven

Thanks for your comments guys.. I keep thinking about this. :/

Heerven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 21:45   #7
Kungpow

There are some good boots on Ebay such as Belleville, S.W.A.T, and various other brand names. If you look hard enough, you can find a decent pair of boots.
Kungpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 21:47   #8
Reyington

I owned a pair of 5.11 ATAC 8" boots but had to buy a pair of the ones you linked in 8" because the 5.11 were a size too small. The difference in comfort is noticeable after a day of gaming. Although I have yet to put a better insole in..
Reyington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 21:49   #9
EchoFourTwelve
Enjoy's Tight Groupings from behind in his Tight Pants

Send a message via Skype™ to EchoFourTwelve
In my experience Danner, and Under Armour are great boots to have. Theyrr light, comfortable, UA is not too pricey, but Danner is me worth every penny. Also goretex or bust. I made a poor choice once not buying goretex and cold feet during ops from stepping in puddles became a common reoccurrence.
Old July 20th, 2014, 22:34   #10
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

Rothco makes awesome boots if you want repro GI Combats or Jungle boots, but I can't imagine their modern styles would be worth while.
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 23:09   #11
J-Man19

As with anything else, you get what you pay for. I will never cheap out on footwear. You are on your feet for extended periods of time everyday, buy something that will last and not kill your feet.

In my experience anything that says rothco on it is junk. (use to bring it in to sell so I might know what I'm talking about)
J-Man19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 23:11   #12
Rossco66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyington View Post
I owned a pair of 5.11 ATAC 8" boots but had to buy a pair of the ones you linked in 8" because the 5.11 were a size too small. The difference in comfort is noticeable after a day of gaming. Although I have yet to put a better insole in..
The 5.11 atac fit at least a 1/2 size too small. I lost the nail on my right big toe because of it.
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:28   #13
brock0

Gotta profess my love for Danner 8" Melee boots. Lightweight, comfy, and they look the business. Pricey maybe, but so worth it (keep an eye out for a sale). Definitely get a half size up from your running shoe size.

http://www.danner.com/melee-8-multi-cam.html

I've gone through the break in period on many boots over the years, so when I went out to play a full skirmish with my brand new Danners, I was fairly confident that I'd be coming home with sore feet and blisters galore. No hot spots, no blisters, from the first minute onward. Really great boots IMO.
brock0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 17:04   #14
Treelinesniper

I worked at a outdoor supply store here in the north for little over a year and geared out most of my team mates with footwear before I left. If you are going for tacticool foot wear and comfort over protection we have a couple people here using under armor boots and Oakley boots. For their price usually from 100 to 200 bucks they swear by them. But are not water proof and have no plate protection from punctures and cannot handle cold and icy conditions. Due to our unique field conditions we all decided to go with composit plates and toe caps for our boots. For light weight we use Cofra 9 inch tall boots for their flexibility and ankle support with composit plate and toe cap retails for just over 200 bucks. And for winter and wet weather we swear by STC boots, 9 inch tall and water proof, with vibram soals that won't freeze until minus 40 plus and composit plate and toe cap retails for 340 bucks. I have sold hundreds of boots to army, construction, over ground and under ground workers and have never seen a pair of Cofra's or STC brand boots returned defective.
Be aware if you buy work boots with steel plate or toe caps such as some company's in house boot brands you will be stuck with a heavy foot weight that are not made for anything over 100 days of working conditions before they reach there failure rate. So be aware of your boots warranty and failure rates when protecting your boot investment and consider your field conditions and hazards well planning the purchase.

Last edited by Treelinesniper; July 21st, 2014 at 17:11..
Treelinesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 20:10   #15
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

Great advice, don't cheap out on boots. I still replace my insoles anyway (finding a good insole and running it in every pair of footwear you have seems anal but reduces the effects and curve of the break in period immensely).

A caveat:
I bought some Rothco old-school GI combats and some Jungle boots. Both are good (keep in mind, I added modern insoles), but the GIs impressed the piss out of me. They come raw (as in completely unworked leather), and they have flat soles, but they are some of the best 'boot as a boot' boots I've ever owned. They broke beautifully, and I'm going to go ahead and get them re-soled as well as buying more. They're an archaic design, but for fashion and general wear, holy shit. You have to spend shitloads of money to buy a 'real' boot lile them.
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion