Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Magpul Zhukov GHK AKM

:

Reviews

Old February 11th, 2017, 02:15   #1
Seags

Magpul Zhukov GHK AKM

Dedicated to the purists.

I always thought I would try and keep my AK unmolested and kosher, but that was boring, and uncomfortable. The only next step was to modernize the furniture.

Enter the Magpul Zhukov kit. The Zhukov-S stock, Zhukov hand guard, and MOE pistol grip, all in a very tasteful plum.

Each part comes individually packaged in a cardboard box and inside a plastic bag. The quality of the stock, grip, and hand guard are immediately apparent. Made entirely out of high quality polymer. The plum colour is hard to see without proper light, but it's just the right shade.

Why the Zhukov kit? Out of a select few furniture upgrades, I felt that this would be the most ergonomic and could still be just as modular as a full length rail system (the hang guard is M-Lok compatible).

Furthermore, I don't like the look of stock tube adapters, and, besides the B-33, Zenitco furniture is absolutely hideous IMO. I just liked the look of the Zhukov kit the best. It's clean, it suits the AK well, and has a very good reputation among real steel shooters.

Enough admiring/circle jerking, lets install starting from the rear.

The great thing about AKs are how easy they are to take down. 2 wood screws out from the top, and the stock slides right off.

The Zhukov-S stock is a drop in fit. I didn't have to file away at any part. It also seemed slightly heavier than the wood stock.

It provided pretty much the same cheek weld as the wood stock, but the top of the stock is more blunt/rounded and consequently slightly more comfortable. The stock retracts to 5 positions, each one roughly 1.5cm apart. There are QD sling mounts on each side, as well as a traditional sling loop. The stock folds to the right side and is held in place by a retention pin.

Next, the grip, which is IMO the worst feature of the AK. It is way too small. It doesn't contour at all to your hand, and the stock plastic GHK grip is an eye sore.

The MOE grip is a night and day difference. It fits my hand perfectly, giving me a positive grip. It's much easier to manipulate the gun one handed.

Like M4 MOE grips, there is a small compartment for batteries and whatnot inside the grip.

Next, replacing the wood hand guard.

I also have a gripe with the traditional AK hand guard. It's too short which disables me from being able to use an over-exaggerated Christ Costa C-clamp grip.

I've got long arms, and it doesn't feel natural or comfortable for me to have to grip the wooden hand guard. I always needed just another 10 cm or so. Great thing about the Zhukov hand guard is that it gives me that room, and then some.

The handguard provides 2 sections of M-Lok slots on the left and right side, and 5 along the bottom. Note that there are no sling points or QD mounts on the hand guard.

The Zhukov hand guard comes with an aluminum heat shield. Unnecessary in airsoft, but necessary for mounting the hand guard itself. It is mounted using 2 pairs of U-shaped brackets that clamp onto the barrel.

Again, just like the grip, the screws were extremely tight. They wouldn't even fully thread/close on my first installation attempt. I ended up taking a small amount of the thread lock off of each screw, then screwing/unscrewing multiple times until they worked themselves in.

The dust cover catch does need to be modified in order to clear one of the stock screws. One minute with a dremel should do it.

Finally time to reassemble. I've purposely left out the front sight purely for cosmetic reasons. Even if I left it on, it's just dead weight, since I've replaced the rear sight with a rail which doesn't align with the front sight. So I guess I'm making it less front heavy.

The last thing I've planned on doing is adding a standard KAC 3-prong flash hider, but that will have to wait until tomorrow (or a later date). The inner diameter is just slightly too small, and none of my drill bits are large enough. Hopefully a 15mm bit will do. The plan is to simply bore out the flash hider, slap it over the end of the barrel, and use the included grub screw to secure it into place.

Now, some more glamour shots:

Total installation time: 2.5 hours. Tools required: 1/8 hex key, flat head, dremel/file.

So far, I'm very satisfied with the purchase. It is very comfortable to wield and much faster to point. Having that extra 10cm makes a huge difference.

If you'd like to see some specific details let me know and I'll try to get back to you.

Last edited by Seags; February 11th, 2017 at 02:17.. Reason: Added install time
Seags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 07:33   #2
Sputmilk

VERY nice.

How did you get your hands on plum Magpul stuff? Been asking around at various airsoft/gun shops and nobody has gotten back to me on the matter.
Sputmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 08:48   #3
tdotsofter

Now that is a beauty
tdotsofter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 10:34   #4
Seags

I bought everything from CTCSupplies. They sell a package of all 3, but only in black. If you want them in other colours you have to order each individually. Pricing for each individual part was the exact same (give or take $1) as the package deal so no worries about losing money.
Old February 11th, 2017, 10:56   #5
Sputmilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seags View Post
I bought everything from CTCSupplies. They sell a package of all 3, but only in black. If you want them in other colours you have to order each individually. Pricing for each individual part was the exact same (give or take $1) as the package deal so no worries about losing money.
Funny, as I sent them an email about plum stuff a week ago. Guess I'll have to try again, thanks!
Sputmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 11:05   #6
Dumblins

Wow I love it, looks like a modern AK, very well done

Envoyé de mon HUAWEI KII-L05 en utilisant Tapatalk
Dumblins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 11:48   #7
Seags

Bit odd... Maybe they looked at their package deals? I hope I didn't scoop up the last plum set from you haha!

Make sure that they also look at the right MOE grip. There is the regular one and the MOE+. The MOE+ does not come in plum but the regular one does
Old February 11th, 2017, 14:13   #8
Seags

Got around to finishing the flash hider today. The barrel is about 15mm OD, while the flash hider is 14mm ID.

About 30 minutes on the dremel, and it fit right over the barrel. The grub screw is actually the same threading as the AK front sight grub screw, so I can have the grub screw threaded into the flash hider and barrel at the same time. Worked out great.

Very happy with how it turned out.
Old February 16th, 2017, 22:57   #9
SnapBack
a.k.a. Bloodlust

Looks damn good. Nice work.
Old February 20th, 2017, 15:36   #10
mr_nuts31

looks nice, have you found a 90 degree gas block for it.
mr_nuts31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 02:34   #11
Seags

No, haven't really been looking for one. I have new plans for what I want done to it now, going to replace the gas block with AK105 block/front sight, and run an extended barrel. We'll see how it goes
Old April 11th, 2017, 22:21   #12
Seags

Played around a bit with some new parts

Azimuth AK105 steel barrel
Repro TWS rail
KTR front sight

I'm also looking for a good 7.62 suppressor with a good locking mechanism, any suggestions?
Old April 21st, 2017, 16:57   #13
jomor

Realsword

Dumb noob like question for you all. Will this fit on my Real Sword Ak? I have the one with the paratrooper swivel stock. Please and thanks
jomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 17:23   #14
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

If Comrade Kalashnikov and the Party wanted AK to fit more ergonomically for you, you would have been issued a different set of limbs......

That said, doesn't look as bad as a lot of AK mods do, looks pretty decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomor View Post
Dumb noob like question for you all. Will this fit on my Real Sword Ak? I have the one with the paratrooper swivel stock. Please and thanks
What you have is a Type 56 II, they were manufactured almost exclusively for export to outside nations, not for Domestic Chinese use, and are, in fact, very rare to find, or have found, in Chinese service. They were not designed for Paratroopers.

That said, likely, they will not just fit right on, you will have to do some dremel/file work. By the look of this magpul stuff and it's packaging, these are not PTS airsoft clone shit, even more likely as they were bought from CTC Supplies.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 23:07   #15
Seags

Unfortunately the stock won't fit your type 56. The zhukov stock only fits AKM and AK74 solid stock receivers, so no side folder or under folder. See picture 3 - you need that rear tang in order to mount the stock. Grip also won't fit for obvious reasons

The handguard should fit no problem though
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews