Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

TM Type 89 Rifle

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old August 25th, 2006, 23:53   #1
Revs 68

TM Type 89 Rifle

I've been looking at some pictures of this gun and while it looks kinda neat, it seems the controls are on the wrong side of it (unless you're a leftie) Is it just that all the pics in all the sites are backwards or am I right? Anyone seen one of these rifles?
Revs 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 00:11   #2
ancorp
AK Guru

Looks like its in the right place to me.
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as38-e.htm

Cheers,
Alex
ancorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 00:32   #3
BBS

Send a message via MSN to BBS
its not very popular in the canadian airsoft market because of the high price and i think it has something to do with the battery.
BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 00:51   #4
Kutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs 68
I've been looking at some pictures of this gun and while it looks kinda neat, it seems the controls are on the wrong side of it (unless you're a leftie) Is it just that all the pics in all the sites are backwards or am I right? Anyone seen one of these rifles?
I think your right. On the type 89 the controls are only on the right side so if your right handed you have to take your hands off the pistol grip in order to change the firing mode. You can actually see it in the videos below.
Real
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEGJsI8LnRw
TM version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOH6VWZHvNU
Kutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 02:57   #5
thephenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS
its not very popular in the canadian airsoft market because of the high price and i think it has something to do with the battery.
Stop pulling crap out of your behind.

High prices have never stopped people from buying high-end G&P models like the SPR/A, VFC guns, STAR, TOP and CA SAW or even Systema PTWs. And the gun isn't even that expensive, it's listed at $750 on 007, more than enough people spend that on a stock TM AK47 + wood kit + basic upgrades.

The stick battery might be annoying, that has never stopped people from buying guns either. There are guys with M4 RIS settling for AN/PEQ battery box, crane stock with battery compartments, battery bags, and the weird battery in the Star L85/86 has never stopped people from buying what they like.

The gun just came out a little over a month ago, most retailers aren't even carrying it yet in Canada. At most you can just blame it on the real Type 89 not being a popular model since it's mainly used by the Jap army. I would buy one just for the mechanical 3-round burst, but I got my eye set on the CA-SG1.
thephenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:57   #6
Revs 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancorp
Looks like its in the right place to me.
http://world.guns.ru/assault/as38-e.htm

Cheers,
Alex
Ok, there isn't really a "right" place or "wrong" place for the controls on any rifle. The AK has the controls on the right hand side and it didn't seem to affect its popularity one bit. What I meant was that (as mentioned on an earlier post) having the controls on the right hand side makes activating them a little akward for lefthanded shooters (aka. most of us).

Gotta love that 3-round burst though!
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:59   #7
Revs 68

OK, sorry. How about I learn right from left hand first and then I'll comment ops:
Old August 26th, 2006, 18:51   #8
attack-beaver

TM made a switch the goes on the left side of the gun for right handed shooters to make it easier.
attack-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 19:12   #9
thephenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by attack-beacer
TM made a switch the goes on the left side of the gun for right handed shooters to make it easier.
Every picture I've seen on the Marui Type-89 is still on the right side of the gun like the real one.
thephenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 19:19   #10
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephenom
Quote:
Every picture I've seen on the Marui Type-89 is still on the right side of the gun like the real one.
Correct, but Marui also makes an optional left-side switch that you can purchase and add on to your gun.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 19:55   #11
BBS

Send a message via MSN to BBS
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS

High prices have never stopped people from buying high-end G&P models like the SPR/A, VFC guns, STAR, TOP and CA SAW or even Systema PTWs. And the gun isn't even that expensive, it's listed at $750 on 007, more than enough people spend that on a stock TM AK47 + wood kit + basic upgrades.

The stick battery might be annoying, that has never stopped people from buying guns either. There are guys with M4 RIS settling for AN/PEQ battery box, crane stock with battery compartments, battery bags, and the weird battery in the Star L85/86 has never stopped people from buying what they like.

The gun just came out a little over a month ago, most retailers aren't even carrying it yet in Canada. At most you can just blame it on the real Type 89 not being a popular model since it's mainly used by the Jap army. I would buy one just for the mechanical 3-round burst, but I got my eye set on the CA-SG1.
i'm not pulling crap, i'm just stating the facts and my humble opinion. we'll its got a high price so its open to less buyers thus making it less popular. adding to that the TM 89 is weak in power and other factors when compared to G&Ps, Star, TOP.

the stick battery is pretty annoying so thus making it not as welcomed as other airsoft guns. true, this factor has never stopped all airsofters from buying these guns but less people buy it.

its still a good gun and all, i never said it was bad, just theres better ones out there.
BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 20:01   #12
Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS

i'm not pulling crap, i'm just stating the facts and my humble opinion. we'll its got a high price so its open to less buyers thus making it less popular. adding to that the TM 89 is weak in power and other factors when compared to G&Ps, Star, TOP.

the stick battery is pretty annoying so thus making it not as welcomed as other airsoft guns. true, this factor has never stopped all airsofters from buying these guns but less people buy it.

its still a good gun and all, i never said it was bad, just theres better ones out there.
As much as preformance is nice, this new rifle has many new features that would be intenrnesting to any airsofter, primarily burst feature, any most of the time it's not the quality of internals and price that sells TM guns, it's the selection of models.

If someone is liking the look of a Type 89, they'll buy the Type 89. They aren't going to buy an Armalite instead because it has a better spring guide.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 20:03   #13
Sgt. Remington

there is nothing wrong with the rifle but the selector looks a bit finicky to use because of the square patern.
Sgt. Remington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 02:46   #14
attack-beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion
Quote:
Quote:
Correct, but Marui also makes an optional left-side switch that you can purchase and add on to your gun.
yeah that was what i was getting at thanks for the correction ILLusion.
attack-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion