Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

G&P....are they that good???

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old November 20th, 2012, 16:27   #1
Shaner

G&P....are they that good???

Hey guys.

I bought a G&P M4 from Toronto Airsoft and I have been really happy with it (knock on wood). However, I know two others who have had nothing but problems (from exploding gearboxes to barrels falling out). I've heard that G&P is the Ferrari of AEG's, and I have heard that they are just a high priced, brand name gun.

I was thinking of picking up a new AEG (M14 DMR or AK) and I was wondering if I should spend the extra for G&P, or should I buy a different brand?? Did I just get lucky with my M4 and got a good one??

What is the general opinion on G&P? I'd like to hear what some Vet's have to say about them. (oh...and I have no intention of buying a $1700 Systema...before someone tells me to go that way :-))

Thanks
Shaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 16:37   #2
theshaneler

G&P is sexy on the outside but needs work on the inside.
usually just a shim of the gearbox, and a changing of the hop rubber.
sometimes all the gears need to be replaced.

also, although G&P would rank very high on my list of brands, its far from the Ferrari of AEGs

more like a new ford mustang, nice on the outside, shite on the inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curo View Post
Look at all the fucks no one gives Miles, look at them. There is a lot of fucks not being given.
theshaneler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 16:38   #3
RaisinBran

I don't own a G&P but want one very badly, just because of how nice they look, Firepig, LMT, etc....But apparently their internals are pretty bad, mostly the gears.
JG M4A1
RaisinBran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 16:41   #4
L473ncy

Inner barrel falling out is a new one to me.... Is the C-clip on the hop up secure (or is it even there)?

But I do agree with the exploding gears bit. Replace the gearset, shim, and grease it and you're good to go. Also locktite your motor height adjustment screw, sometimes it can loosen and shred your pinion/bevel.

For the record I own a G&P that's been faithful to me and my go to primary for 4 years with no major overhauls needed, just a few worn out parts replaced here and there, a spring change (old one worn out and also was only an M100/M110 giving me 375-ish FPS, new spring brought me up to 396) and an inner barrel upgrade.

Last edited by L473ncy; November 20th, 2012 at 16:43..
L473ncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 16:43   #5
wildcard

Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
Hey guys.

I bought a G&P M4 from Toronto Airsoft and I have been really happy with it (knock on wood). However, I know two others who have had nothing but problems (from exploding gearboxes to barrels falling out). I've heard that G&P is the Ferrari of AEG's, and I have heard that they are just a high priced, brand name gun.

I was thinking of picking up a new AEG (M14 DMR or AK) and I was wondering if I should spend the extra for G&P, or should I buy a different brand?? Did I just get lucky with my M4 and got a good one??

What is the general opinion on G&P? I'd like to hear what some Vet's have to say about them. (oh...and I have no intention of buying a $1700 Systema...before someone tells me to go that way :-))

Thanks
well your comparison between a G&P as the ferrari is a bit incorrect, the title is still held by Systema PTW as being the Ferrari. Now as far as the G&P I 've owned quite a few of them from their M4 to the M249 to the Stoner and since day 1 that G&P decide to make a full AEG eons ago they have always have issues with one of their gearset, everything else is awesome except for that one damn gear, you figured for a company that have been around nearly over a decade doing AEGs would finally get their act together right? NOPE they still have that one gear that would either snapped off or bent and cause a piston failure. Take it as what you want, G&P despite some minor defect they are still a top notch company
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 16:43   #6
Shaner

All good to know.

What are your preferred brands then? Am I better off saving the $$$ and going with something else?

Thanks
Old November 20th, 2012, 16:45   #7
Shaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
well your comparison between a G&P as the ferrari is a bit incorrect, the title is still held by Systema PTW as being the Ferrari. Now as far as the G&P I 've owned quite a few of them from their M4 to the M249 to the Stoner and since day 1 that G&P decide to make a full AEG eons ago they have always have issues with one of their gearset, everything else is awesome except for that one damn gear, you figured for a company that have been around nearly over a decade doing AEGs would finally get their act together right? NOPE they still have that one gear that would either snapped off or bent and cause a piston failure. Take it as what you want, G&P despite some minor defect they are still a top notch company
Good insight. Which gear should I be replacing? Also, I have seen these "magical" modular gears...worth investing in??
Old November 20th, 2012, 16:48   #8
wildcard

Quote:
All good to know.

What are your preferred brands then? Am I better off saving the $$$ and going with something else?

Thanks
Well I'm pretty close to retiring from this hobby, over the years I've gone through a shitload of AEG/GBB/GBBR so far if you want to compare companies that still make them flawless I would have to say Tokyo Marui, King Arms, G&P and Classic army (in that order) but if you have some extra funds I would have to strongly suggest you dive into the PTW starting with either a FCC, DTT modded PTW or a fully Modified Tac PTW then your view towards AEGs will forever changed.

Essentially unless you are comparing a PTW all AEGs are the same they are based on Marui planetary gearbox set up. Granted that there are a few company that comes out with proprietory parts that mimicks a PTW set up ie. WE KATANA, ICS, DTW but they are not the same when compared to a PTW. PTW with it's high price tag do have it's own demons same as owning a AEGs so in the end it's a toy it will break no matter how good teh company is, hell I'm waiting for my FCC to go down but that damn thing keeps on ticking, and I still have my HK51 from Tokyo Marui since 91 and it's in perfect working condition, What I'm trying to say is no matter what the company is it's a toy, it will break the only thing you should be concern is how fast? and all that depend on how you use it and how you take care of it

Last edited by wildcard; November 20th, 2012 at 17:02..
Old November 20th, 2012, 16:50   #9
Adamlxlx

They are grear until you have to open them. I own 5 g&p guns and their gearboxes are VERY hit and miss.
Adamlxlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 16:50   #10
wildcard

Quote:
Good insight. Which gear should I be replacing? Also, I have seen these "magical" modular gears...worth investing in??
For me its usually either the spur gear or the sector gear combined with some pretty bad shim job. Usually I swapped them out completely with Systema gearset and reshim everything depending on what it's going into I choose a different gearset but lately there are a lot of companies that produce really good products especially full build mech box an dthey are so much more affordable than before. I would choose either a fully build Lonex or Modify Torus gear box

Lately I've also seen some pretty dumb ass shit coming from nubs listening to some other idiots advice such as using a 11.1 20C LiPo on a stock KA or G&P claiming that it will give you awesome ROF, well guess what? in about 3 games that gearbox that is pushing close to 400fps fails. high fps and high ROF don't mix especially in a version 2 gearbox I don't care who has said they have seen it done or from what mystical format they mod it to, I've used High FPS and High ROF set up before most of teh players here have heard of airsoft, they would not last the most in extreme case would be 2 full day worth of games. So do yourself a favor if you are a mag tickler get yourself a LMG with a V3 box set up if not prepare to spend some $$

Last edited by wildcard; November 20th, 2012 at 17:10..
Old November 20th, 2012, 17:01   #11
coach
aka coachster

Keep an eye on G&P pistons. I find them to be a little brittle. Also I've had issue with the spur gear and sector gear where a tooth would break off and jam up the mechbox. If you were lucky, it'd fall away and get stuck elsewhere in the box and run just fine. No luck for me.

Here's a picture of the shattering piston. Only way I could get it to show on camera was with unique lighting.

coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 17:11   #12
Repeat

I have owned a G&P Stoner for about 2 years now, and have not a single complaint. I have put bag after bag of bb's through it, and haven't pampered it at all. It still runs like the day I took it out of the box, Perfectly! No jams, no missfeeds, not even hop up issues. I haven't done a single mod to it, or even opened it up. It certainly runs like a ferrari, very fast! It's my only experience with G&P, but I will buy G&P again for sure. Just my 2 cents......

Level 2 sniper certified / night operator
Repeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 17:59   #13
HKGhost

I hope I'm not bursting anyone's bubble, but I found most of not all the "New" G&P guns in north America to be all shit. Yes the externals are still nice, but the gearbox is just a POS. Almost all the G&P guns that has came across my bench in the last year has all the same issues. Bad gears, QC issues, upper and lower receivers not fitting into each other, and the list goes on. Ones that have came across the pond seems to be much better. This is just my experience and what I've seen lately. If you're gonna get a new G&P gun, make sure it's not from the US. It seems that's where the POS are coming from. Any other gundocs notice this?

Custom Build | Upgrades | Repairs | Maintenance
HKGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 18:05   #14
MaciekA

Quote:
In a word, no. That gearset has no magical aspects to it aside from being very expensive. If you are spending $100 on gears, the only gears you should be buying is SiegeTek. If you want to spend $50 or less, buy Lonex / SHS / etc.

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 18:10   #15
m102404
Tys

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKGhost View Post
I hope I'm not bursting anyone's bubble, but I found most of not all the "New" G&P guns in north America to be all shit. Yes the externals are still nice, but the gearbox is just a POS. Almost all the G&P guns that has came across my bench in the last year has all the same issues. Bad gears, QC issues, upper and lower receivers not fitting into each other, and the list goes on. Ones that have came across the pond seems to be much better. This is just my experience and what I've seen lately. If you're gonna get a new G&P gun, make sure it's not from the US. It seems that's where the POS are coming from. Any other gundocs notice this?
I was just writing the same...at least the first half.

The cheaper "sportline" builds are so-so at best...same goes for other brands.

Other builds...such as the Stoner...are phenomenal though.

I'm pretty picky and selective now though. I've settled on what I want/trust/go-to. There's only a handful of electrics (not heavily custom made/modded) I'd go with...PTW, Realsword AK, G&P Stoner, KA Galil, G&G AK, KA FAL. Not many at the end of the day...
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion