Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

CYMA M1A1 Thompson

:

Reviews

Old November 29th, 2008, 19:28   #1
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
CYMA M1A1 Thompson

Just going to do a quick little review. You can ask any questions here if you want for more info.

First Impressions:

Got the box, opened it up and picked up the gun. This gun has a pretty good weight, at about 6 pounds with mag in. Feels very nice and solid too. Something you could feel you use to crack someone over the head with if you ran out if ammo! Racking the bolt gave a nice crisp "ker-chink". Plopped the stock battery in. whir.....nothing. Battery didn't have enough charge to turn the gun over. That was fine, just needs a charge. Stuck in my other mini battery and fired a few times on semi and then on auto. Might just be because of the gun design or the mechbox used, but this thing sounds beefy!

Comes with:

- ~$380 less in your bank account
- An 8.4v 1100mAh NiMH mini battery
- Shitty wall charger
- 380 round METAL hicap
- Cleaning rod
- Cheap sling

Build Quality:

The build of this gun is full metal upper receiver and barrel, with a plastic lower receiver and faux-wood plastic furniture. The controls are all metal, with plastic mag rails as they are part of the lower receiver. The rails are solid though, so no chance of them really breaking. The endcap of the stock is metal as well.

The faux-wood actually looks pretty decent, but a wood kit may be a good investment. No creaks in the front handguard like I've seen on some reviews. No rattles at all if you hold onto the front and rear sling points and shake it.

Internals:

Innards are what you'd expect from CYMA, JG, or even TM. All metal gears (look like better quality than stock TM gears but can't confirm that any way, only time will tell), metal gearbox, plastic piston and plastic ported piston head. Plastic cylinder head with plastic nozzle. Compression on the cylinder is fantastic. Plastic/nylon bushings. The only thing wrong here is the absurb amount of green grease applied. Needless to say I cleaned that out and whatever was left would be good enough lubrication. There was also a lot of oily clear lubrication on the piston and piston head, which I mostly cleaned off but left some for lubrication. Tried to clean the inner barrel but it came out clean. Also reshimmed the gears and the mechbox sounds smooth (sounded fairly smooth before I opened it up though).

Performance:

The gun chonied at 365 FPS with KSC 0.20 BB's. That's a pretty decent FPS for a gun out of the box. I may not upgrade it at all (except for maybe metal bushings or something).

Took a few shots on semi and then on full auto, and I was impressed with the range and accuracy, especially with a shorter barrel than an M4.

The gun shot very straight without even adjusting the hopup. Adjusting the hopup didn't seem to affect the BB path TOO much, but probably affects the BB more at the end of the gun's range, which was fairly far away. I'll have to test with my 0.28's to see if the hopup can keep them straight.

Handling:

The main grip feels nice in the hand, maybe a little big for some. The gun is actually quite large, about as long as a regular AUG. With the gun stock tucked into your shoulder, the sights line up perfectly with your head/eyes. They're actually useful for aiming too. I found this much different that a regular AEG where the iron sights are fairly useless, especially with goggles. And they better be, since you can't put much aftermarket stuff (i.e. a red dot or scope) on the Thompson (but who would anyway, trying to tactical-ize a Thompson should be a act punishable by death).

The magazine is inserted into rails on the lower receiver, and can be a challenge until you get use to it (I still haven't). The front grip can be a little far, even for a tall guy like me, so the magazine/lower receiver is a good grip point.

The hopup adjuster is where the ejection port would be, and stays exposed. This is most likely because a Thompson operates from an open bolt in the real world. May be a cause for concern for getting crap like dirt in there, but it's not THAT exposed.

The fire controls are a bit...well I'll not say difficult, but different to use. They are on the lower receiver on the left side, and they are 180 degree switches for both fire/safe and semi/auto. You need to use you off hand to change them.

Overall:

I'd say this gun is well worth the money I paid for it, and was surprised by the quality and range/accuracy. The only con I'd say is the absurd amount of grease in the mechbox. That's easily fixed, so not a big concern. Everything else I'm happy or impressed with.

I've already ordered 8 plastic lowcaps for it, and may get a wood kit in the future.

Not a gun for everyone, but if you like it and want a Thompson, there's nothing wrong with this one.

Now for picture whoring:

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services

Last edited by Styrak; November 29th, 2008 at 20:36..
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 19:53   #2
Gunny_McSmith
a.k.a. Palucol

pictures...plz
Old November 29th, 2008, 19:54   #3
Styrak

Oh fine.

Old November 29th, 2008, 19:56   #4
Crunchmeister

Nice review dude. Would love to see one of these things and give it a test fire. Tommy guns were never really my thing, but there's a certain appeal to it from the historical point of view.

And btw, you forgot to add the gun to your sig.
Old November 29th, 2008, 20:00   #5
Styrak

I only have my main guns in my sig. Other guns can get tossed around and sold, but those stay

Old November 29th, 2008, 20:37   #6
Styrak

Pictures added.

Old November 29th, 2008, 20:48   #7
backspasm

Thanks for the review, I am looking to pick up a Thompson myself but wasn't sure about cyma vs the others. After this review I think I will go with cyma. Where did you get this one?
backspasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 21:09   #8
Styrak

From a retailer in the classifieds. You'll see if you browse his thread.

Old November 29th, 2008, 21:23   #9
Hortons Heros

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/gallery...g2_itemId=3365
and you said you couldn't put aftermarket stuff on...
Old November 29th, 2008, 21:28   #10
Styrak

That person should die a horrible, horrible fiery death.

Old November 29th, 2008, 21:31   #11
Conscript
AKaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
That person should die a horrible, horrible fiery death.
That guy is Horton's Heroes, and he will fuck you up big time.
Conscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 21:42   #12
MrEvolution
MrChairsoft

DEATH TO THE HERETICS.

365 FPS? Insane.
Stock TM = 280 FPS. Such wussy performance
Get metal mags for it though, they feel alot better IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrail25 View Post
I'm no expert on the law, but the only victims of rape in this story are the 40 men.
MrEvolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 21:57   #13
Styrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEvolution View Post
Get metal mags for it though, they feel alot better IMO.
I would have, but 8 plastic lowcaps cost me $80 shipped.
Metal TM's would have cost over $200.

Old November 29th, 2008, 22:08   #14
Hortons Heros

where did you get plastic ones from? Thanks for the reviews and I might have to buy another one just to toss more rails on HAHAHa
Old November 29th, 2008, 22:21   #15
Styrak

RSOV

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews