Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Question for 4-eyed airsofters like me about goggles

:

Gear Discussion

Old January 8th, 2012, 15:17   #1
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Question for 4-eyed airsofters like me about goggles

I may be interesting in getting some prescription ballistic goggles/glasses, for the range.

Can you buy any airsoft glasses and have lenses made? Or are there only specific ones (like I know Wiley-X) that can? I want something completely or nearly completely sealing so I can use them for airsoft as well.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 15:26   #2
Tankdude

Lasik an option?
Tankdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 15:28   #3
Coresair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styrak View Post
I may be interesting in getting some prescription ballistic goggles/glasses, for the range.

Can you buy any airsoft glasses and have lenses made? Or are there only specific ones (like I know Wiley-X) that can? I want something completely or nearly completely sealing so I can use them for airsoft as well.
Rx inserts, research those, many companies will have many models who will accept them.
Coresair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 15:28   #4
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

Quote:

Are you asking if their are Rx lenses for ballistic goggles or if their are models of eye protection that allow for a set of lenses to be worn underneath?
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 15:47   #5
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

Best is contact lenses. That's what I use.
RX insert fog or put the glasses too far from your face.
There are some custom made shop glasses that are made for your vision. I've seen one player use them and they look awsome. If I knew where to buy these, I'd probably get some.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 16:00   #6
MASAKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankdude View Post
Lasik an option?
Yes, that's alway an option. I did mine last year, never regret a single penny.

Well, before So, I used bolle x800 over my glasses and it works pretty good and as for shooting range, I used revision sawfly combo with prescription RX insert, it also works well.
MASAKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 16:12   #7
Styrak

Ok to answer everyone's questions:

- No I don't want Lasik, my eyes aren't even that bad.
- Eeyore, I'm asking if any off-the-shelf ballistic rated glasses can have lenses made for them, or only specific brands like WileyX (I might just go with those anyway, they look awesome, and are only about $100 for the frames). I already wear my glasses under some JT goggles and that works good.
- Fox, I've never worn contact lenses and don't want to.

Last edited by Styrak; January 8th, 2012 at 16:17..
Old January 8th, 2012, 16:24   #8
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

Quote:

- Eeyore, I'm asking if any off-the-shelf ballistic rated glasses can have lenses made for them, or only specific brands like WileyX (I might just go with those anyway, they look awesome, and are only about $100 for the frames). I already wear my glasses under some JT goggles and that works good.
Yes there are several type.

Look at Revision Desert Locust. Its what I use and I have never been disappointed.

http://www.revisionmilitary.com/rxcarrier.html
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 16:59   #9
Drake
E-01

Quote:

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me: I have excellent natural low light vision and Lasik will fuck that up so its not an option for me, and I just cant manage to stick a contact in my eye.

I opted for the ESS Rx insert which can fit in both the Profile NVGs and ICE 2.4 glasses (the inserts come in two flavors: you need to pick the wire frame one to fit in both).

I got the prescriptions filled at Sears iirc, was pretty cheap (didn't take the anti glare or anti-scratching options since they're under a shiny, ballistic rated piece of polycarbonate anyway): do bring it the goggles/glasses though since the people there have no fucking clue what those weird inserts are/how they're worn.

With the 2.4 glasses the inserts are closer to the skin and tend to fog, but its controllable (I use dish washing liquid). The ballistic glass obviously fits that far further away from your face, but I've used them for several years and never felt there was a danger a BB would get in unless someone shot at me from immediately below or above me or something. And even then, the Rx insert is right there.

With the Profile NVGs, there's a bit less air circulating in there, but the inserts are further away from your face. Generally I've found it to be okay but if the goggles start fogging everything fogs in a hurry.
Old January 9th, 2012, 20:34   #10
Styrak

I don't want huge wacky goggles because these are being used for real steel shooting glasses as well. The ESS Profiles seem to be chunky goggles, not glasses.

Old January 9th, 2012, 20:56   #11
Pinard
formerly Contractor 6-8, CptPinard17eRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Sounds like you're in the same boat as me: I have excellent natural low light vision and Lasik will fuck that up so its not an option for me, and I just cant manage to stick a contact in my eye.
their is a lasik operation that gives a better low light vision... the more expensive obviously
Old January 9th, 2012, 21:11   #12
kaiu

I use the Sawfly and Revision Desert Locust Fans with RX-inserts...

Sawfly Regular obviously sucks with inserts, but the Large ones are perfect.

The Desert Locust fogs, but completely negated when you turn on the fan....

I have the Bullet Ant ones too which feel really comfortable. I have yet to game it though to see whether it will fog while playing...

Doesn't hurt to try Sawflies imo though since they can be obtained for really cheap... Inserts are also really cheap, and prescription, if you have insurance, the lense $$$ shouldn't be an issue either :P
kaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 21:45   #13
Drake
E-01

The ESS ICE 2.4s are glasses.

My point was that those inserts fit in both.
Old January 9th, 2012, 21:46   #14
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinard View Post
their is a lasik operation that gives a better low light vision... the more expensive obviously
My current low light vision would still deteriorate after that operation, just not as severely as before.
Old January 20th, 2012, 21:00   #15
EagleDriver

While at the Shot Show, I was able to try on the Body Specs BSG goggles. They are a shooting glasses and full seal goggle combo and are available with a prescription insert. I picked up a pair of black and a pair of tan to try. Lenses are interchangeable and come in a variety of tints, including laser protection (but those are pretty expensive.)

I have only tried them on and so far they feel comfortable but if I use the gasket with the sunglasses kit the foam seal gasket doesn't seem to seal all of the way. When used with the goggle strap they seal fine. They retail for $60 USD but I have seen them as cheap as $38 USD (dealer cost is about $32 USD) The kit comes with clear, amber, and tinted lenses. Polarized and other lenses cost more. The prescription carrier retails for $18 USD and if you get it with lenses the carrier is supposed to be around $90 USD. They are Mil Std rated and had lenses on display that had been tested on.

Another I tried in low-profile was Smith Optics Boogey Regulator. They are like the Revision low profile but have holes in the top of the lens for ventilation. The rep said that they are tested to Mil Std with the holes. He could not answer if or when they would have a prescription insert for those.
EagleDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion