Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Finished major over haul of gear box and need insight

:

Doctor's Corner

Old March 26th, 2018, 02:21   #1
stephanmmjohn

Finished major over haul of gear box and need insight

EDIT: Gun seems to function well aside from one issue, inconsistent FPS. Trying to narrow issue down but I'm thinking it is cylinder head as I glued a faucet washer (7/8"-3/4regular) to it. Need a place that has easy access to a Chrono and they don't mind me using it a few times. Anyone have suggestions so I can confirm with them? Thanks for the help!

So I redid all of my internals except a few things. I rewired my gun in a dual signal setup with a gate NANOHard FET and 16 gauge wires + deans to use with 11.1 LiPos.

I changed the piston, piston head, cylinder head and nozzle to SHS ones to get a better air seal.

I shimmed the gears and kept the stock 18:1 gears as I don't really need a high RoF.

Now, Everything seems to work well with the gear box closed and greased up but I want ensure things are indeed working well.

For one, I no longer feel the slight play up and down in my spur and sector gears anymore after putting everything back in the gearbox. I felt a little play before greasing up and getting the wires in but now I don't think I feel any movement. IS this okay? I am asking because some shims might have accidentally moved around when I was putting the gears back.

Next, my sector gear came off while I was putting the gear box back in and I don't remember if I "timed" the sector gear so the tapper plate catches properly. I am assuming I did since the gun is cycling properly as far as I can see. If I didn't get the "timing" right, what would happened?

TLDR: Upgraded my gun + rewired. Seems to work but need assurance. Gears no longer have up & down play after grease and putting gear box back even though they did before, is this normal? (may have messed up shims at the very end). Also Not sure if I "timed" sector gear so tapper plate catches well but gun shoots fine as I said, what happens if I didn't "time" the gear.

Any techs near scarborough willing to listen to my gun cycle to determine if it was shimmed too tightlu?

Help please and thanks !

Last edited by stephanmmjohn; March 30th, 2018 at 13:57..
stephanmmjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2018, 11:19   #2
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Shimming has to be checked with the gearbox screwed down and the cylinder removed (so you can stick your finger in there and rotate the gears).

there's no such thing as "gear timing". As long as you didn't set the gears in weird so that you destroyed your tappet plate on the first cycle, you're fine.

Also, shimming can't be determined by just sound.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 18:46   #3
BobbyDangerous

How did you shim the gears? Did you start with the spur or the bevel and motor

BA Level 3 Certified
BobbyDangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2018, 13:53   #4
stephanmmjohn

I started with the bevel. Seems to be okay as I played a whole night and gears seem to be fine and not making any strange noises. A new problem has arrived though, getting inconsistent FPS. Trying to narrow down the search.
Old March 30th, 2018, 13:54   #5
stephanmmjohn

Going to edit my post, everything seems to be fine but new issue, inconsistent FPS. Trying to narrow it down and I need to a place where a Chrono is easily accessible.
Old March 30th, 2018, 14:08   #6
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
If you work on your own guns, a chrono is pretty much required.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2018, 10:27   #7
Zfurlong

there are a few areas that could cause the velocity issue. the cylinder head is certainly one of them, however I have my doubts, as it rarely is just based on my own personal experience. what I would be willing to put my money on is that your issue lies with your nozzle and hop setup. try out different bucking and nub combos with the same nozzle and go from there. if you are still experiencing the same issue, then move to the piston head and cylinder as your piston heads oring might not give you the same seal as your old one did. unless there is significant play in your cylinder head while sitting inside the cylinder head, then it is unlikely the cause.
Old April 7th, 2018, 12:39   #8
stephanmmjohn

I'd like to try and test out switching barrel + hopup to see if it's the bucking that's causing a leak. It's just hard without a Chrono and I can't justify buying a Chrono just for this upgrade.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner