Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Places that sell screws in the GTA?

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old September 28th, 2011, 02:01   #1
Alceister

Places that sell screws in the GTA?

Just need to know which places in the GTA (preferably around North York, Richmond Hill or Markham) are go-to places to buy screws.
Alceister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 02:03   #2
Slow
Loves Furries

Normal screws...
Home depot
Canadian Tire

If ASC were real life, there would be no Chuck Norris, only CDN_Stalker

MANITOBA IVAN
Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 02:09   #3
Alceister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post
Normal screws...
Home depot
Canadian Tire
Already tried them both; they didn't have what I need.

I was thinking of Brafasco, but they only sell in bulk, don't they?

Last edited by Alceister; September 28th, 2011 at 02:21..
Old September 28th, 2011, 06:44   #4
slink182

What type of screws are you looking for? And in what size & thread spacing/pitch?
Depending on what it is, you may need to look for a specialty hardware shop ( (e.g., electronic/electrical supplies, dedicated screw store/manufacturer like Spae Naur).
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
Stalker stays where he is.
His BB's fly across the country to hit their target.
slink182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 07:37   #5
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alceister View Post
Already tried them both; they didn't have what I need.

I was thinking of Brafasco, but they only sell in bulk, don't they?
They're supposed to, but if you know how to ask, they'll toss you some samples for free.

Also try Fastenal.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 07:42   #6
jcadger

Send a message via MSN to jcadger Send a message via Skype™ to jcadger
Brafasco will sell any amount not just bulk

May God bring good health to your enemies enemies
jcadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 07:44   #7
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

There's an order minimum (something like $10). Whenever I've gone and not met the minimum, they'd just toss me the few I need as samples.
Old September 28th, 2011, 08:20   #8
The Chad
formerly LoveMyStubby

Not sure about screws but I know where you can find a couple nuts!....wuahahahahah
The Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:50   #9
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Plus 1 for fastenal. It's pretty much all they carry. Screws, set screws, bolts, pins. You may have to buy a whole bag, or sometimes they'll just give you a few free. Either way, it's fairly cheap.
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:55   #10
jareyes

+1 for Fastenal, it's true if you don't buy a large enough quantity they just give you the screws for free. The manager himself was the guy to give me the free screws; customer service is awesome.

And whenever I couldn't find what I needed at Fastenal, I used this company:
http://www.eksfasteners.com/5.html
It's a company that operates out of a house and per screw, you'll be paying more but the lady that runs it has got a huge selection of metric screws. Most retail places don't sell smaller than M3 or M4, she sells some of the smallest metric screws I've ever seen (M1, M1.5, M2, etc.), all types of heads, etc. Anything she doesn't have, she'll be more than glad to get a hold of for you even if it means special ordering a small quantity (like 4 screws, she's done this for me before).
jareyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:00   #11
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

fastenal would be your best bet, I don't think brafasco has tiny machine screws if you're looking for stuff that fits airsoft. Fastener hunting sucks.. you generally use up more money in gas and time than you spend on the screws you need lol. Last time I needed stuff, I drove 40 minutes each way and probably 10$ in gas to get 5$ in fasteners.
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:36   #12
jordan7831
will always be Mike Litoris in our hearts

Haha I guess the op has pleanty of places to go for a good screw! Sorry fellas couldn't resist.
But in all seriousness could you be more specific about what you are looking for? Perhaps some members have a stock pile of aeg screws lying around their room.
jordan7831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 11:18   #13
Alceister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7831 View Post
Haha I guess the op has pleanty of places to go for a good screw! Sorry fellas couldn't resist.
But in all seriousness could you be more specific about what you are looking for? Perhaps some members have a stock pile of aeg screws lying around their room.
Well, GBB pistol actually.

I need two different types of screws:

One seems to be a hex screw about 0.5 mm for thread size; just over 20 mm in length and 2 mm in diameter. The head is about 6 mm in diameter, and kind of slopes down to the screw. The purpose of the screw is to secure the piston unit to the slide and the rear sight, and I'm replacing it because it is stripped badly.

The other type of screw is also a hex screw with a thread size of about 0.2 mm; about 8 mm in length and 2 mm in diameter. The head is about 8 mm in diameter, and is thick and slightly round on the top but flat on the sides and where it meets the screw. The purpose of the screw is to secure the grips to the frame, and I'm replacing them (4) because a few are either stripped or not even the same screw type as the others.

Anyways, so Fastenal seems to be a good bet for finding those kind of screws? A location seems to be on the same route I take to go to school, so I guess I'll drop by and check it out.
Old September 28th, 2011, 17:17   #14
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alceister View Post
Well, GBB pistol actually.

I need two different types of screws:

One seems to be a hex screw about 0.5 mm for thread size; just over 20 mm in length and 2 mm in diameter. The head is about 6 mm in diameter, and kind of slopes down to the screw. The purpose of the screw is to secure the piston unit to the slide and the rear sight, and I'm replacing it because it is stripped badly.

The other type of screw is also a hex screw with a thread size of about 0.2 mm; about 8 mm in length and 2 mm in diameter. The head is about 8 mm in diameter, and is thick and slightly round on the top but flat on the sides and where it meets the screw. The purpose of the screw is to secure the grips to the frame, and I'm replacing them (4) because a few are either stripped or not even the same screw type as the others.

Anyways, so Fastenal seems to be a good bet for finding those kind of screws? A location seems to be on the same route I take to go to school, so I guess I'll drop by and check it out.
Your numbers are close, but not correct. Metric pitch is standardized according to the shaft diameter, and the designation is standardized as "M size x pitch". It's not as confusing as Imperial threading.

Assuming your diameter measurements are correct:

M2 coarse thread pitched screws have a 0.40mm pitch (what I think you call "thread size", which is a general term and unclear.)

Thus, they would be designated as: M2.0 x 0.40

M2 fine thread pitched screws have a 0.25mm pitch.

Thus, they would be designated as: M2 x 0.25

You'll have a hard time finding machine screws with those stats at Fastenal. Last time I bought a screw anywhere close to those specs, I had to special order a minimum of 100, and that was for an easier to find M4 -0.7x6 (4mm shaft dia., 0.7mm pitch, 6mm length). I can't imagine them having any M2 screws at all, but try giving them a call anyways, to find out. See if they have that diameter (M2) and those pitches (0.40 & 0.25mm). Then figure out if they have the lengths you need. If they don't have the exact length, get the next longer size and grind it down to length.

Be warned, you will most likely be required to buy a minimum for sizes like this, as they'd have to be special ordered in. You can also check the Fastenal site, which has a full catalog of their sizes. You can also learn the names for the different sized heads as well, but it sounds like you need a Pan Head for the grip screw, and a Flat Head for the sight/slide/piston.

What gun is this specifically for?
Old October 6th, 2011, 14:51   #15
Alceister

Okay, so I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to use proper measuring tools or a ruler.

I did a bit of research now and I now realize that I did all the measurements wrong. Length is supposed to be measured from the base of the shaft to the tip, not from the top of the head to the tip. Diameter measurement is supposed to take into account threading, and not measured according to the shaft alone.

With that in mind...

The grip screws are actually button socket cap screws with a length of 5mm, or 4mm if you only count the thread and not the blunt point. The piston/slide/sight screw is a flat socket cap screw with a length of 18mm. Due to not having any accurate means of measurement at the moment, I'd have to guess that they're between 2mm-3mm diameter with a pitch size between 0.4mm-0.5mm.

Which made me feel pretty stupid when I went into the store and ordered the screws with only the faintest idea of what I was doing.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications