Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

What Platform for Run 'n Gun?

:

Newbie Tank

Old April 18th, 2015, 13:50   #1
MattG666

What Platform for Run 'n Gun?

I currently have a CYMA Ak47 (metal/wood), and while I think it's fine I would prefer something shorter and maybe lighter. My preferred play style is to be aggressive and get in close or flank rather than plink away at range.

What sort of platforms/models do you recommend? I've had the below recommended:

-M4
-Ak74U
-MP5
-Mp7 (not looking for gas though :S)
-P90

Looking for something that is around $250, and is reliable. I actually prefer my guns plain without all kinds of tac accessories, if that makes any difference.

Any help is appreciated!
MattG666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 14:58   #2
L473ncy

You can really use anything you want. In fact there's a video of a guy doing an IPSC or 3 gun style course with a 249.

That said it's all up to you in the end. Really, underneath all our guns is a system that propels 6mm BB's with exterior styling around it (no such thing as different calibres other than 6mm and the odd 8mm rifle). You could get anything from an MP5K to a 20" "varminter style" M16 and it's all basically the same fundamentally.

That said if you're looking for short and light and like a plain jane gun something like a 10.5" CQBR M4 would fit the bill, so would an AK74UN underfolder or side folder or a MP5A5 with collapsible telescoping stock.

Also, if you want lighter and don't really care about "realism" then an option would be to get a plastic bodied rifle. Either the King Arms plastic body version or a G&G Combat Machine (though my preference if you're wanting plastic is probably the G&G CM). The G&G CM16 with the 10.5" barrel should be able to be found for around $225-ish. It's up to you to look around yourself since you're not AV'ed though and as you know no links outside the classifieds/AV restricted section.
Old April 18th, 2015, 15:14   #3
MattG666

That's true, I was specifically looking for something that lends itself well ergonomically, rather than a long gun that takes longer to point and aim.

Are the plastic guns durable enough for light abuse? I'm not super gentle and don't hesitate to dive to the ground once in a while. Like the idea of how much lighter it is.
Old April 18th, 2015, 15:26   #4
Drake
E-01

Ergonomics are very subjective: some people love bullpups, for example, others hate em.

Likewise an MP7 is small and light, but it didn't quite work for me (a bit too light, didn't like the mag changes); so my personal preference is an AR platform with a 7 inch barrel: larger and a lot heavier than the MP7, but it feels stable in my hands and all the controls are where I'm used to having them.

So I recommend you ask around if people will let you fondle their guns and you can form a better idea what you like and what works for you.

Otherwise, like L473ncy said, inside they're all pretty similar, pushing the same BBs at similar speeds.
Old April 18th, 2015, 15:42   #5
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Depending how strong you are, you can do that with a CA 249 para.
Just about any gun fits the role, it's all about what YOU prefer
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 23:23   #6
unknownvariable

I like the SBR style M4 (Rec7). If you pick your parts right, they can be pretty light and mobile. Mine weighs less than my MP5A5 and has better weight balance and for me ergonomics.
unknownvariable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 00:17   #7
graff

Ares Amoeba - AM004
graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 09:56   #8
MattG666

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys!

Is there a lot of disparity between different companies' plastic durability? I'm don't care too much about realism, so the only thing holding me back from looking at polymer/nylon guns is weather or not I will have to baby them and worry about their durability. Any tips?
Old April 19th, 2015, 15:40   #9
Aj619

I own an G&G CM16 raider short version the polymer on it feels alot like the glass reinforced nylon on my etek3 paintball marker. It is very tough yesterday I drop my gun down the stairs to my basement and it was perfectly fine I've also heard stores of guys falling on them while running, dropping them on rock, and all sorts of other stuff.

There pretty tough and good little shooters I recommend them if your looking for a light weight or relatively cheap platform that you can run right out of the box all though I suggest switching out the hop up to a metal one, and rubber I suggest getting the PDI W hold rubber.
Old April 20th, 2015, 08:48   #10
Juic3
freakonleash

l85. Bullpup , short, good looking
Old April 20th, 2015, 11:36   #11
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Systema PTW M4 CQB/CQC. All the accuracy and range of the longer barreled models, but much shorter and wield-able. Throw a black cylinder in 'er and you're good for indoors.

A good budget option is the VFC XCR.
Old April 20th, 2015, 11:45   #12
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
You can really use anything you want. In fact there's a video of a guy doing an IPSC or 3 gun style course with a 249.
lmao
I missed this comment, that was ME!
I also beat all the rifle and pistol times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3sFIz0E9vg
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2015, 21:35   #13
Foxer2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
Systema PTW M4 CQB/CQC. All the accuracy and range of the longer barreled models, but much shorter and wield-able. Throw a black cylinder in 'er and you're good for indoors.

A good budget option is the VFC XCR.

Lol I think you missed the part where he said $250 or less LOL, my barrel and hopup in my ptw was $350 and vfc haven't seen one even used under $400 lately.

For your price range you are very limited in options.... g&g, elite force, polymer Ares. Other than that you are looking $350-550 for something in the intermediate range. Personally I would go used you can get more mags and batteries and a charger that way, because don't fool yourself that add's a couple hundred pretty fast.
Foxer2373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 17:57   #14
MattG666

Thanks for the replies guys!

I've played 2 more games recently with my CYMA AK recently, and I've taken your advice to see what fits me best. I stopped at a local store and tried out various platforms to see what I like, and I think I really liked m4's and their adjustable stocks. I can extend it for comfortable and steady shooting at longer ranges, as well as quickly close it to get it in tight for close quarters.

Question is now, which M4? Again I'm looking in the $250-ish range. I held an Amoeba 008 and really liked the solid feel (despite being plastic). How does it compare to the King arms M4s? I actually really liked the weight of plastic and would consider any plastic gun that is still reasonably accurate.
Old April 26th, 2015, 19:51   #15
Wilkie

Accuracy is going to come down to what kind of bucking and inner barrel you are running.
Wilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank