Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

PTW vs We katana

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old April 15th, 2015, 11:04   #1
SGT_Blaster

PTW vs We katana

I want to know what you think of the we katana m4 it a competitor of the systema ptw or it just a cheap clone or a good deal ? Thank
SGT_Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 11:08   #2
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 11:27   #3
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I think they made an effort to make a systema cylinder system, and DROPPED THE FREAKING BALL everywhere else.

The only comparison between the Katana and ptw is the cylinder system. I had hopes for it, but they dropped the ball when they decided to use a conventional M4 barrel group.
So basically the Katana is just a plain old ICS M4 with a ptw style air nozzle instead of a tappet plate.
I'd honestly rather have an ICS.

What makes a ptw a ptw is the very tight tolerance between parts, and the katana just doesn't have that.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 11:28   #4
Kos-Mos

Good deal, but not in the same league stock.

With a new hop-up chamber (they suffer from feeding issues with the stock one). I use a KingArms no problems. I am tempted in trying a Madbull ultimate or Prowin-style to see...
RHOP, new set of bearings (stock are copper bushings that wear really fast), they perform great.

Cylinder FPS is inconsistent on the stock spring. A good VSR-10 spring works VERY nice and is cheap (I used a 120 PSS10 to get 389fps and cut-down the stock spring to make a CQB setup 345fps).

You don't get the bolt-stock and gizmos, but as a high-end gun, it's great.

It also runs great under heavy rain ;P

That's what I run as my sole AEG.

The stock gearset is short-stroked 2 tooth (13). You can use a Systema PTW piston with a standard 15t gearset. Gives higher FPS but drops the ROF a bit. On a 7.4 LiPo, with the 390fps cylinder I push 17rps (Xortech 3200) with the short-stroked stock piston.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 11:50   #5
ThunderCactus

Can't that be said of any AEG, though?
What really makes the katana better than any other upgraded gun?
Old April 15th, 2015, 11:54   #6
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Systema PTW bone stock, broken and old as shit; versus the WE Katana, brand new full upgraded and at full potential.

RESULT:
The Systema PTW killed it with one blow, raped its entire family, burned the corpses and threw them off of a mountain.....the bodies were never found.

If you can afford a Systema and it's expensive mags and cylinders, etc, then buy a Systema. On a budget but still want a solid AEG? Then buy a VFC.

Oh yeah, it isn't a clone. Not even close.
Old April 15th, 2015, 13:37   #7
Azathoth

Having OWNED both systems.

The Katana takes all of the advantages of the cylinder system. It is in every way superior to the ICS split gearbox. I have never broken a piston or rack with a WE Katana under abusive battery load (12volt / 14.8 lipo). A buddy has 2 years and about 20 cases of BB's through his Katana same cylinder and everything is still good as new (shooting 1.7j). You cannot say that about any other gun. Pistons are a replaceable part in AEGs, and I have yet to see a need to replace a piston on a Katana or PTW unless it was user induced stupidity (manufacturing defect aside, and i have yet to see one in a ptw in nearly 10 years)

The gears are of good enough quality on the Katana, and frankly you can't and shouldn't "upgrade" them because if you do, you fall into the user induced stupidity bracket for creating failures in the system.

The Katana holds the cylinder in place by using the rear take down pin. The hopup still needs a spring or what not to hold the hop against the cylinder for air seal like a AEG.

You can install all of the fancy trigger, motor and electronics onto a Katana and get close to a PTW trigger response, thanks to the high speed gears (stock) and fewer moving parts (PTW cylinder).

The upgraded Katana is superior to any other upgraded AEG because it uses the PTW cylinder, this makes the gun leaps and bounds more reliable and repeatable when shooting. Easy to clean and maintain (5 mins to take out cylinder and clean like PTW.

TL : DR
Katana PROs
Never seen a broken piston aside from user induced stupid
Never seen busted gears aside from user induced stupid
Cheaper than PTW
Better than PTW clones
Easy to maintain and clean
Upgraded, is superior to other upgraded AEGs

Not a PTW, Not 1:1 dimensions, slower trigger response even when upgraded,

A upgraded and tuned Katana (ER Hop etc) will out shoot a stock PTW. A PTW with the hopup mod done CORRECTLY outshoots a Katana.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory

Last edited by Azathoth; April 15th, 2015 at 13:41..
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 14:37   #8
ThunderCactus

Again, can be said for a lot of upgraded AEG's.
Reliability is often more dependent on the person working on your gun than the parts themselves.
The fact is, the materials the pistons are made of in PTW's and katanas are also available in AEG pistons. As long as your tech sets everything up correctly, the chances of you breaking that piston are limiting to you being an idiot lol

I will agree it's better than ptw clones, but if it uses the same barrel group as an aeg, then it's not physically possible for it to shoot any better or worse than an aeg.
Although it's hard to even define the scope of what "upgraded" means lol
Old April 15th, 2015, 14:41   #9
theshaneler

Yea iirc, Wes runs a WE katana and that thing runs beautifully. Would take that over a regular AEG any day, but im not going to be getting rid of my PTW for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curo View Post
Look at all the fucks no one gives Miles, look at them. There is a lot of fucks not being given.
theshaneler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 15:06   #10
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
WE Katana is $241 off Evike, shipping should be about $40.. importable since FPS meets requriment..

So about $400 shipped here after crap conversion? Still 1/4 of a PTW :P

But I guess you get what you pay for.

#dontknowshitaboutptw.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 16:09   #11
ThunderCactus

These days the PTWs are more about ease of maintenance and tight tolerance parts more than anything else.
For serious, the #1 thing stopping me from getting an AEG is the incredibly annoying chore of having to work on it even once.
Old April 15th, 2015, 19:25   #12
mcguyver

Wes and I compared cylinder parts from his Katana and my parts kit, and dimensionally they looked the same. The nozzle oring was clear from what I remember vs. the milky polyurethane that Systema uses.

If you could fit a PTW inner/outer barrel set on a WE, that would be cool. Need a new mag system though, unless you could make mags for it with Systema guts in a real shell perhaps?

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 23:41   #13
Azathoth

Quote:
Wes and I compared cylinder parts from his Katana and my parts kit, and dimensionally they looked the same. The nozzle oring was clear from what I remember vs. the milky polyurethane that Systema uses.

If you could fit a PTW inner/outer barrel set on a WE, that would be cool. Need a new mag system though, unless you could make mags for it with Systema guts in a real shell perhaps?
I have seen ONE, G&P upper modified to fit a PTW hopup a custom build build from before my time in Edmonton. In theory run the deepfire AEG to PTW hopup chamber in the katana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
These days the PTWs are more about ease of maintenance and tight tolerance parts more than anything else.
For serious, the #1 thing stopping me from getting an AEG is the incredibly annoying chore of having to work on it even once.
AMEN!, It's why i switched 3 years ago.
Quote:
it would appear I am not first up in this gang-bang
---
WANTED PTW Receiver PRIME, STG, Factory
Azathoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 23:43   #14
ThunderCactus

Word is the deepfire chambers are shit, but can be made to work well enough. Downside is then you're stuck with a POS deepfire barrel.
Old April 16th, 2015, 06:43   #15
Foxer2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshaneler View Post
Yea iirc, Wes runs a WE katana and that thing runs beautifully. Would take that over a regular AEG any day, but im not going to be getting rid of my PTW for one.
Wes also works on his gun weekly and fine tunes tunes it constantly. He also has an area to test fire it as he is working so week in and week out he has a high performance gun consistently. Not the case with all Katanas to say the least.
Foxer2373 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion