Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

MP5 Questions

:

Newbie Tank

Old December 9th, 2014, 01:10   #1
MatthewRyan

MP5 Questions

Hello everyone

I am currently in the market to pick up a new AEG. I sold my KA Ultra Grade M4, and wanted to try something new.

A couple aegs I had in mind are

Budget preferably not over 300, since my KA was only 180.

ICS either plastic or metal. MP5A2

ICS M16A3 Sportline - I have two left over mags.

Classic Army metal MP5A2

My question is how proprietary is ICS aegs? I'm I going to be shafted when buying parts online?

Are all ICS MP5 split gearboxs, and do they now have internal hop up adjustments?

Your thoughts, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by MatthewRyan; December 31st, 2014 at 21:34..
MatthewRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 01:15   #2
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

It's mostly externals on ICS that are proprietary
As far as I recall, the internals were basically all TM spec, except in a two part mechbox.
The ones I worked on had what seemed like the old marui compression parts; similar piston with unvented head, air nozzle with no O-ring, plastic cylinder head.

I the new gen has better compression parts, awesome. If not, it's only like $60 to get all new compression parts.
There's nothing one really adds to the outside of an MP5, so there's not much to worry about.

CYMA has actually had some pretty good reviews on their MP5s, you might want to look into those as well.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 01:44   #3
-Shade

I can definitely vouch for the CYMA MP5 SD6. Solid externals and pretty good internals for the $200 price. V2 gearbox. Gears are good quality and it has a ball bearing spring guide. A new nozzle with an o-ring would be an exccellent cheap upgrade!
-Shade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 01:58   #4
B2 Airsoft

I have a bias towards CA. Ive owned a couple of the MP5's from them and they are very sturdy with a good feel. Internal parts on either brand should be easy to pick up. You'll likely be splitting the box on both though as only the newer MP5's have the spit gearbox, which if you can stretch to, are a godsend.

-James

B² Airsoft
Authorised Distributors of;
GHK, Wolverine, KWA, RA-Tech, PDI,
Smith Optics, Revision Military, Tasmanian Tiger, Airsoft Innovations, PTS Sydicate, Wouxun Radios, ASG, Nuprol, AIM, Line Of Fire, Mechanix, G&G, Venom Power, Fenix, BOL.
RWA Authorised Retailer
Custom Orders, Imports and Builds
http://b2airsoft.com
http://www.facebook.com/b2airsoft
B2 Airsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 08:11   #5
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

the ics mp5 is pretty tm spec. The only one that is not is the pro. The upper is nice in that it doesn't have to split in half to have to remove the lower. It does hvae to split in half to remove the hopup/barrel though. ICS makes enough externals for mp5s that you have a lot of selection for front ends should you want to put a rail on ir or you can use any tm spec handguard. The only issue is with ICS v2s is that they are original v2 clones, so the gearbox shells are thin and unreinforced. I tried putting a vfc gearbox into my ics... no go. The lower would not go back into the upper because the front end is a lot thicker/wider than the ics one. There's also no metal hopup upgrade for the ics from what I can find. hop adjustment is external, the CA is internal in the ejection port.

CYMA mp5s are nice, but heavy compared to other full metal mp5s.

Supposedly SRC makes an amazing stamped steel upper mp5 but not sure if you can find it easily in canada, as they have a couple generations of mp5, the only stamped steel one is the newest one. But given their reputation on making someone out of spec guns, I didn't bother looking at them too hard.

Last edited by lurkingknight; December 9th, 2014 at 08:14..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 11:30   #6
kalnaren

My thoughts on the ICS MP5A2:

http://airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=136346

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2014, 23:42   #7
MatthewRyan

Thank you everyone for all your input.

I was planning on getting a G&P mp5 handguard with flashlight. Would it be compatible with most brands? I'm not the greatest at moding stuff, so if it would slide right on it would be perfect.

Anyone have experience with MP5 Handguard lights? Are they even that bright?
Old December 10th, 2014, 09:40   #8
kalnaren

If you're getting an ICS MP5 I'd go with ICS external parts just to make sure.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:59   #9
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

ICS has a full line of replacement front end bits and stocks, so there's good choice. But most mp5s seem to have their own quirks in their own manufacturer families.. g&g went their own way, but ics and CA are almost completely tm spec. CYMA is semi tm and have some of their own parts. Just pay attention to if your mp5 has an outer barrel under the handguard or not, that seems to be a major determining factor in finding compatible front ends.

the G&P handguard will fit the ics though, I have one sitting in my parts box that was previously on mine.
Old December 23rd, 2014, 04:12   #10
bradmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Shade View Post
I can definitely vouch for the CYMA MP5 SD6. Solid externals and pretty good internals for the $200 price. V2 gearbox. Gears are good quality and it has a ball bearing spring guide. A new nozzle with an o-ring would be an exccellent cheap upgrade!

+1. CYMA is solid. I too have the SD6.
bradmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2014, 21:48   #11
MatthewRyan

So, I ended up getting the Classic Army MP5A2. I have a couple of questions for the community, and hopefully you can help me out.

I ordered the 3 point sling, and it's on the way. Upon further inspecting the front sling hook. I'm questioning if it will be durable enough to withstand all the running around and everything. I noticed on the right side of sling point, it was held on by a split washer. I was wondering how I would be able to remove this washer, without damaging the surrounding metal. For those who ran mp5 with slings, has the front sling lope ever failed?

Also help needed on removing the PDW style flash hider. From what I understand the flash hider is held in by a set screw underneath?

Thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141231_213011.jpg (1.42 MB, 16 views)

Last edited by MatthewRyan; December 31st, 2014 at 23:04..
Old January 1st, 2015, 00:03   #12
B2 Airsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewRyan View Post
So, I ended up getting the Classic Army MP5A2. I have a couple of questions for the community, and hopefully you can help me out.

I ordered the 3 point sling, and it's on the way. Upon further inspecting the front sling hook. I'm questioning if it will be durable enough to withstand all the running around and everything. I noticed on the right side of sling point, it was held on by a split washer. I was wondering how I would be able to remove this washer, without damaging the surrounding metal. For those who ran mp5 with slings, has the front sling lope ever failed?

Also help needed on removing the PDW style flash hider. From what I understand the flash hider is held in by a set screw underneath?

Thanks again
The sling point is held on by a pretty solid nut, you won't have any issues with that as a sling point. If the sling you have is anything like the one we stock, most of the weight is on the rear sling point anyway

As for the flash hider, there's a small allen screw under the flashlight. Loosen this and it'll slide right off.

-James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1875.JPG (1.77 MB, 8 views)

B² Airsoft
Authorised Distributors of;
GHK, Wolverine, KWA, RA-Tech, PDI,
Smith Optics, Revision Military, Tasmanian Tiger, Airsoft Innovations, PTS Sydicate, Wouxun Radios, ASG, Nuprol, AIM, Line Of Fire, Mechanix, G&G, Venom Power, Fenix, BOL.
RWA Authorised Retailer
Custom Orders, Imports and Builds
http://b2airsoft.com
http://www.facebook.com/b2airsoft
B2 Airsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 00:12   #13
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

If your MP5 sling is attached properly, it'll hold just fine. It's a very smart design.
The only failure point I've encountered is the sliding clasp, but that's plenty easy enough to replace with any old D-ring.
My Cyma doesn't have any fancy clips on it's pins and it's doing just fine
Cliffradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 19:35   #14
MatthewRyan

Thank you everyone. Hopefully I won't have any issues with it in the future.

One more question, how do I remove the fire selector? I've been looking on the internet, and haven't been able to find an answer. My fire selector is non ambidextrous, and only located on the left side. Do I have to take the selector off to be able to access the lower gearbox, or does it stay on?

Sorry for all the n00b questions. I really appreciate the help.

Looks like gearbox also features a quick change spring!

Last edited by MatthewRyan; January 1st, 2015 at 20:13..
Old January 1st, 2015, 20:19   #15
Brit ter

I own the Cyma mp5SD6 ,mp5 K , mp5 PDW and have been great !

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank