Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Elitists -Newbies, please read

:

Newbie Tank

Old August 16th, 2013, 15:57   #241
Grudge
multitech

You would be better to save that money untill you have about double that. You can get a much better gun that will last for $300-400. Under $200 and you are usually asking for trouble.

Make sure you buy a good pair of eyewear and boots as well.
Old August 29th, 2013, 12:28   #242
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by argyleb View Post
I just started airsoft a few months ago, and man budget is a bit high for a college student like me. I do agree with OP with what he mentioned that good and decent equipment but budget is my main problem. In terms of guns, i'll start with a cheap $150-200 atm and work with it. I don't think I can spare anymore until I get a full time job
The problem there is you'll likely be spending at least that in parts for the gun when it breaks.

Another thing a lot of people forget about cheaper guns is that they often lack the QC. I remember when Krakens were introduced people were recommending them in droves because they were "cheap, TM compatible (mostly), and shot well enough", completely glossing over the fact that for a while they had a ridiculously high failure rate.

So you can buy a cheap gun, but be 100% prepared for the much higher chance that it could break a piston or tappet plate on your first game, the fact that it may not readily accept after market magazines or internal parts, and a host of other issues often associated with cheaper guns (poor wiring, higher internal resistant, poor battery life, etc. -I can game all day on a mini battery in my CA G36. Try that in a cheap clone and see how it works out). You also have to remember that when people say "You can make a $150 gun shoot just as well as a $500 gun", they've probably dumped $400 worth of parts in it and the only part of the cheap gun that's original is the body.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."

Last edited by kalnaren; August 29th, 2013 at 12:31..
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 12:44   #243
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

A gun that's not accurate, will likely break down, won't shoot far, isn't reasonably able to be upgraded, etc. well, there's always chess club ...just kidding.

$300 is a "cheap" airsoft starter, save up some money. Remember elementary school, and those little plastic four foot high hockey sticks? Thats the equivalent of a $150 - $200 airsoft gun, it really will be grief and not fun. $3000 is top of the line, and $300 or so will at least get you a reasonable starter. Remember though, you'll need ammo, batteries, eye protection, a battery charger, and gear to carry all your shit with just to start.
Old August 29th, 2013, 13:02   #244
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

you'll need in and around 500$ to get gun, extra mags, battery, simple gear and eye protection to start.. if you can't afford it, you can't afford it.. not to mention field fees and consumables like BBs. There's some reasonable AKs for under 300$ but there's not much selection in that price range, AK or very basic m4.

And this is airsoft.. shit breaks.. even the nice guns, so you'll need to set aside some money for when it breaks.
Old August 29th, 2013, 13:17   #245
Grudge
multitech

There are a few cheaper guns out there but they are few and far between.
I started with an AFTERMATH MP5 Broxa, built like a tank, very few failures and got it for under $200. After several years of play, put a new hopup and tighter barrel into it. Still love it. But I've seen others that got them and they died within a few games.

Better to get age verified here and pick up something from somebody bailing from airsoft. You can usually get a good gun at very reasonable prices.

Plus after I got the Broxa I spent another $800 on mags, batteries, case, boots, eyepro, BDU, bbs, chest rig....etc. This is not a cheap sport.
Old August 29th, 2013, 13:35   #246
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grudge View Post
There are a few cheaper guns out there but they are few and far between.
I started with an AFTERMATH MP5 Broxa, built like a tank, very few failures and got it for under $200. After several years of play, put a new hopup and tighter barrel into it. Still love it. But I've seen others that got them and they died within a few games.
Exactly. A friend of mine had a broxa and it was one of the worst guns he ever owned.

I think they make great project or secondary guns but the quality is too far all over the place for me to recommend for a primary when you only own one gun.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 17:19   #247
Ricochet

You can buy a King Arms Colt M4 for $250 - $300. That's probably the best and most well rounded starter for reliability and cost. But as mentioned, there are "constant" costs that cannot be avoided to play. It's as simple as that.
Old November 17th, 2014, 23:08   #248
professionalnewguy

Good points, and well made. I've been in and out of several hobbies with a high elitist:enthusiast ratio, and can generally spot the difference.
professionalnewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2015, 02:20   #249
Zfurlong

Hey thunder, I know this post is quite old lol but currently my cyma m14 socom is stock with a bridge hop, and hurls .3 bastards out to 250 feet lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I love going to games and hearing people say "omg your gun shoots so amazing! how do I get my gun to shoot like that??"
"You have a CYMA....it can't....sorry"

Also, systema would be the overpriced Ferrari's of airsoft
Old May 30th, 2015, 04:17   #250
Ranger11
Extra Salty and vinegar

That's the hop mod at work, not the gun.

My PTW will do 280 feet with an effective of 240. Your effective is likely close to 200-210 feet if your max is 250.
Old June 28th, 2016, 18:47   #251
Datawraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarkski View Post
i am a totall noob...used to airsoft when i was 16-18 living in Oregon but couldnt bring them with so havent been into it since about 2006...now i am 28 and i wouldnt call the vets elitists...they are just guys who have been laying long enough to know quality a bit quicker than someone like myself....i will say this tho...TM ppl sound like mac ppl...so i do wanna buy one, but i wanna get it from a store not online so i cane feel around a bit more
I would like to severely disagree with analogy. The operating system world is divided, and each has their own place. Macs are good for graphics, Windows is good for general compatibility, Linux is good for those who know how to use it. On the airsoft side, it can be seen and easily argued that TM is the only true airsoft pistol manufacturer that makes quality pistols. Do WE Glocks and KJW Sigs work? Yes, they do, but they don't work nearly AS WELL as a TM. They don't shoot as far, they don't feel as solid, and they don't last as long (generally speaking). There just isn't anybody I know of that prefers another pistol brand over TM.
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 18:55   #252
e-luder

Old June 28th, 2016, 19:55   #253
Flavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datawraith View Post
I would like to severely disagree with analogy. The operating system world is divided, and each has their own place. Macs are good for graphics, Windows is good for general compatibility, Linux is good for those who know how to use it. On the airsoft side, it can be seen and easily argued that TM is the only true airsoft pistol manufacturer that makes quality pistols. Do WE Glocks and KJW Sigs work? Yes, they do, but they don't work nearly AS WELL as a TM. They don't shoot as far, they don't feel as solid, and they don't last as long (generally speaking). There just isn't anybody I know of that prefers another pistol brand over TM.

What!!??? Macs are good for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 20:48   #254
Ricochet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio View Post
What!!??? Macs are good for everything.
I own an iPhone, and iPad, another iPad, an Apple TV, etc, but I'll never touch a Mac, not for gaming, not for media, not for general use and not for editing (if I was I'd consider it for editing).

TM pistols also typically shoot straight and true due the old school/simple Hop design. You can get metal kits and reinforcement parts if you want as well. Other guns do run fine, but go for performance and reliability first. Not to mention TMs shoot 300 - 340 out of the box, so you can use them anywhere. They aren't perfect, they're just the best rounded. The host of upgrade part, efficiency and reliability is what makes me keep buying them.
Old June 28th, 2016, 22:43   #255
Flavio

My first and only pistol is a TM G17 and I have to say it's got laser precision and is a lot of fun. I waited for a sale and took the plunge.

I got tired of the plastic slide after a while and replaced with an Ace1arms SAI slide kit. Looks really nice and cool when it works but I've had so many problems with it that I regretted the purchase. Should've gotten an Atom or Battlecomp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank