Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Ravan's SAS Black Kit

:

Western Europe

Old November 29th, 2012, 23:22   #1
ravan318

Ravan's SAS Black Kit

Hey everyone.
While many of us dress up for our games, we most often see kits that are generally suited for outdoors and with more vegetation. It is more rare to see CQB impressions, and even more so for kits of certain famous real-life SOF units. The most often we would come up with would still be the SEALs, Delta, USASF, Rangers,etc.. but troops beyond that such as GROM, KSK, SAS, GIGN, etc.. are much fewer. While there are many reasons aside from popularity, one other I must stress would be knowledge and availability of the equipment these operators use.

Recently I came across a thread here of a fellow enthusiast sharing his passion for the SAS black kit. I was excited to see how his kit would turn out, but in the end I was only left with disappointment as the kit was too far from expectation. Although it was a very nice attempt to portray these battle-hardened veterans, unfortunately he lacked the right kit to pull off an authentic look. As an enthusiast who loves to portray an impression as realistic as possible (what fun is it to dress up in swimming suit and call that SAS?), I had taken some time and patience to study my kits before I buy them, although I still make mistakes. Despite that, today I will like to share with you my SAS black kit.

Before we start, I will provide a brief introduction towards our topic today. The Special Air Service (SAS) is a British special operation forces created by David Stirling during the days of World War II. The name was intended to deceive the Germans into thinking the troop is related to air operations, although in essence the SAS conducted missions behind enemy lines. The SAS had divided itself into many troops, which each specializing in certain aspects. This included, mountain troop, mobility troop, air troop, and boat troop. Due to the sensitivity of the missions and the risks involved, the SAS selection process is one of the most rigorous in the world, and had since then been modeled after by many special operations units(Australia SASR, New Zealand SAS, Hong Kong SDU, US SFOD-1.) The SAS had seen actions in various regions and theaters around the globe, from the Falklands to Iraq to even the most recent, Libya. Regardless of all, this thread is focused on the impressions SAS in CQB environment, and therefore the focus would be primarily the CRW(Counter-Revolutionary Warfare). The tragedies of the Munich Olympic Massacre had prompted the UK government to organize a special branch tasked primarily on counterterrorism tactics, and the CRW was thus established. The Counter-Revolutionary Warfare wing Since those days, the SAS had seen some situations in which their expertise was called for, in particular the Iranian Embassy Siege. The live footages of John Macaleese blowing out the windows of the embassy and the subsequent successes of the operation propelled the elite unit to the legendary status it continues to enjoy to this day. Ever since then, the equipment of SAS CRW had undergone some changes.

The '80s, which included the Iranian Embassy Siege saw the uses of Avon S6 gas mask and the Mk2 Suede vests, with which the latter continued to see service into the '90s as Mk3. The S10 had also been incorporated as replacement.

By the 2000s, more changes were made. The Suede vests were replaced by ISPL's tactical vest, while some sources stated that even the SF10/S10 were also replaced by CT12. Despite that, both retained much similar looks and the traditional belt line remained in service.

All of these are just some brief information about the SAS that we are discussing about today. The rest would be explained with the photos illustrated below.

First of all, my kit is supposed to represent the contemporary SAS CRW Red Troop of post-2000. The reason I picked this was the more contemporary SAS CRW represented a more modern look, although I still respect the vintage and classiness of the Suede vests.

Let me first list my line-up from top to bottom:
Anson tactical flame-retardant suit (deep blue)+ red paper/fabric
S10 gas mask
S10 gas mask hood
ISPL tactical vest
MP5 (VFC gas blowback) + green MP5 sling
Nomex flight gloves (some say black pilot gloves are appropriate, while others say it doesn't matter as long as it isn't pink)
Replica Paul Evers Leather Belt
Paul Evers Sig Holster
Replica Paul evers Mp5 Triple Mag Carrier
Adidas GSG9 tactical boots

One thing to say is that contemporary SAS CRW kit is much simpler and lighter, which makes maneuverability much easier. Aside from that, lesser kits means more money saved, although anyone wishing to pursue a realistic SAS impression should still be ready to invest healthy amount money to get decent gears. Unlike US military impression, there are very few economical availabilities when pursuing British impressions, especially SAS kits. Most of them you will come by would be either genuine second-hands, as it's nearly impossible to buy anything fresh. ISPL, for example, could only by obtained by proper law and military agents, therefore we civilians are mostly out of question. Another rarity would be the Paul Evers P226 holster, which I had only seen 3 times after a year of searching through eBay. It is one of the hardest piece of equipment you could get, so be prepared to spend some time looking for it and to bid. It will most likely be second hand too. Despite that, there are still some replicas that are close enough for the economical minds to consider. The Hong Kong-based merchant site CRW was selling replica Paul Evers Leather Belt and MP5 Triple Magazine Carrier, which are much lower priced, more available, and looked almost like the real thing. The MP5 leather carrier can house 3 magazines and looks almost identical to the real thing. They are good choices for people like me, who would tend to avoid paying more as much as I can while able to still buy decent quality gears. The PE P226 holster should only have one strap, therefore anything with 2 thigh straps is an automatic bogus. Do not trust everything on eBay that has the name SAS on it.
Having spoken of the ISPL and the Paul Evers leather kits, some other worthy mentions would be the Adidas GSG9 tactical boots. Available on eBay, they are stylish tactical boots with very comfortable fit and quality. If you have some money to spend, I would really recommend them as they feel so good I almost don't want to take them off. I also think they are water-resistance, light, and slip-proof(if there's such a word). If you have everything else and you're just missing the boots, I would really urge to get them if you have the money. They complete your gear but they are also so nice you won't feel you're buying them for the sake of buying.
As for the suit, it is important to remember it is a whole-piece and when looking for them, make sure you are getting the right design: The right design should have a hood, shoulder window pockets so you can slip in a red material to depict Red Troop, and the knees would have 2 paddings that have a giant cross in the middle. If you don't pay attention to that you will end up buying something else you shouldn't be.
The S10 is something we all know about, so I will not say much about it. The mask hood turns out to be less popular with the operators as it can get in their way when they are moving around, although one can still get it. Just note that the mask hood you get should fit on the S10 perfectly and not have some bits sticking out like a loose skin, which otherwise it would probably be for some other gas masks. I had purchased the wrong one before and had to mail it back in the end.
For the ISPL, it is perhaps the most expensive kit you will need to buy unless you are trying to get the Suedes. Typically you will be looking at at least $200CAD, although it's not unusual for the price to skyrocket to $200 pounds because you're competing with other enthusiasts who knows their thing. The more pouches it comes with, the more you will most likely be paying. Once again ISPL pouches are very hard to come by, so buying the vest alone isn't the end of your story. For me I have yet to purchase my pouches yet because my seller had yet to respond. Other things to look for about the vest is to understand you cannot fit MOLLE pouches because the vest was meant for ISPL panels with its velcro surfaces.
Finally the gloves were said to be British pilot gloves, although some say black flight gloves are ok too. This is up to you and your wallet.
For weapons you would be carrying MP5 and P226, which is no-brainer. Some additional equipment such as abseil can also be included to your impressions depending on preference. Finally just remember to pay attention to the era your kit is supposed to represent before you make any advanced purchases. Kits such as Leather belt kits would be cross-generational, but ISPL and Mk2/3 Suedes will vary.

References:

http://www.blackkit.co.uk/?page_id=34
http://www.blackkit.co.uk/?page_id=66
SAS22.com
CRW
Wikipedia
Anson Tactical
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 029.jpg (728.1 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 028.jpg (630.4 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 022.jpg (806.3 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (756.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 017.jpg (842.1 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by ravan318; November 30th, 2012 at 00:19..
ravan318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:33   #2
Coward

need a rappeling harness with figure 8 and dynamic hammer or a hoolligan bar =p
what field are you playing at normaly?
Coward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:28   #3
ravan318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coward View Post
need a rappeling harness with figure 8 and dynamic hammer or a hoolligan bar =p
what field are you playing at normaly?
I usually play at Tswassen, Panther, and Mission.

Last edited by ravan318; September 10th, 2016 at 00:43..
Old December 2nd, 2012, 18:30   #4
Coward

nice! i play at Bigfoot in mission for the most part since it is the closest thing to cqb here.. but since they are down for the winter i am at panther till jan lol

are you going to airsoft in your kit? panther you can wear the s10 if you got the airsoft safe lens from that guy on ebay lol. I am bitting the bullet and geting stamped steel for mine s10 to wear at bigfoot
Coward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 20:04   #5
daishi

Send a message via MSN to daishi
Honestly, I have a big rage hard on for players that dress up like American soldiers. I really don't know why.

I hardly ever see players dressed like Canadian Forces or JSF. You'd figure there would be more, but nope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian291 View Post
This is one of the funniest things I've read.
Commandment 1 of LMGesus: Fuck getting kills. That's the job of your teammates, otherwise known as the cannon fodder. Your job is to be scary.
daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:28   #6
ravan318

Quote:
Originally Posted by daishi View Post
Honestly, I have a big rage hard on for players that dress up like American soldiers. I really don't know why.

I hardly ever see players dressed like Canadian Forces or JSF. You'd figure there would be more, but nope.
I almost have a JTF2 impression.I was just missing the coveralls/suit that they wear, and that piece is too expensive.
Old December 4th, 2012, 22:05   #7
Black Patch

Ravan318

Don't worry about the Harness or Fig 8.

Reason I say this is unless you are abseiling into a scenario why would you need it? Kit swinging around your waist will just get in the way and be a possible hang up concern.

Ignore it until you do it.

Running around with a pry bar and the such is extra kit you really dont need to haul unless you are prying door frames or window frames. Extra kit slows you down.

Excellent visual representation of the UK's finest soldiers.

Also in the UK armed forces (Was in the Reserves) the SAS are known simply as : Them.

Good work fella.
Old December 20th, 2012, 01:53   #8
ravan318

Thanks Black! I hope my gears demonstrated are up to the utmost accuracy of the real operators. Have you had a chance to interact with them?
Old January 17th, 2013, 15:45   #9
mike.canadian

Great load out Ravan. I do have also a SAS loadout :

- Adidas GSG-9 boots (old model)
- S10 respirator with tinted lenses
- Real SAS black suit from Anson Tactical
- Black tactical vest

I am looking for the S10 respirator hood.

I also have a 5.11 XPRT Patrol Boots.
mike.canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 03:38   #10
Black Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravan318 View Post
Thanks Black! I hope my gears demonstrated are up to the utmost accuracy of the real operators. Have you had a chance to interact with them?
Met a couple but you would never know, very non discript looking guys. looked more Civvy than anything else to my eyes really. Guess they can blend in that way.
Anyway, yes I did, They (Them) came round to our unit and gave us a chat. I never went for selection. I was not good enough mentally.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Western Europe