Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Tips and techniques for outdoor woodlands/bush play?

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old August 19th, 2013, 17:00   #1
Mr. Gruntsworthy

Tips and techniques for outdoor woodlands/bush play?

In CQB, I can hold my own, but when it comes to outdoor bush/woodland play, I find myself sorely lacking. I'm usually BB bait, and end up getting shot at before I even see anybody. And if I remain long enough to start shooting at them, I never manage to hit them...

Veteran players of ASC, how do you do it? How do you not get lit up like a christmas tree?

I stay low, I avoid making unnecessary noise/giving away my position by moving bushes or grass... yet I'm still always spotted first.

My gear is tan pants with OD shirt and chest rig, and a black mask.

I feel like I'm wearing a neon sign sometimes...

Sidearm: KJW Taurus PT92 (olive drab)
320fps, semi-automatic. Propane GBB

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open facebook group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft players. Join the Forums as well
Come join!

My Game Dev website: http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Mr. Gruntsworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 17:44   #2
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Maybe the forest is just not your thing, or maybe you suck?
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 17:56   #3
Zack The Ripper

Send a message via MSN to Zack The Ripper
I wear a black shirt with tan gear and brown pants half the time (my PMC loadout) and hardly get seen. Maybe you don't know the fields, maybe you are putting yourself in bad spots, could be a number of things. If you go off on your own you are begging to get lit up with no support, that's for sure (unless you are Hectic in a ghillie suit). Unless we could actually physically see you in game-play footage or in person playing there is not real way to critique your methods. Sorry.
Old August 19th, 2013, 18:42   #4
Mr. Gruntsworthy

fair enough; sometime soon I'm going to invest in a Go-Pro.

I usually never venture out on my own, unless I'm respawning and making my way back to the frontlines. On defense I hunker down with a small fireteam, or join an attack force on offense.

Sidearm: KJW Taurus PT92 (olive drab)
320fps, semi-automatic. Propane GBB

Oshawa Deathmatch Community -- An open facebook group for Durham/Toronto Airsoft players. Join the Forums as well
Come join!

My Game Dev website: http://mikeseguin.webs.com/
Mr. Gruntsworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 19:24   #5
Ross

Getting rid of the black mask might help. Our eyes are trained to look for shadows and dark spots when scanning tree lines.

If you are used to fast paced cqb, maybe you are advancing too quickly?

Also staying behind teammates is handy. Take cover when the first guy in your group yells hit.

I'm not that great at airsoft outside. But if I stay a few meters back from other players I tend to stay alive longer.

Also taking longer more ridiculous routes to known enemy positions or bases can be boring and tedious but can sometimes pay off.

Making no noise while walking is sometimes very difficult. If you see oblivious enemies walking your way. Just stop and crouch. Any further movement will probably make enough

sound to be detected.

What I have found is that people have different playing styles and personal goals while in a game. Some people like to get tons of kills. Some people like to role play survival and

only kill when necessary. Some people like to experience good communication in a milsim style game where teamwork means more than kills. Some people like to lone wolf it up

some tree and sit there for an hour. And some people just like to stand by their car and look cool holding expensive shit.

It's best to find what you want out of the sport, and think about what you need to do get it.

So for example. If you are into survival. Maybe you will get more fun out of staying hidden, and choosing not to shoot at the enemy at all until a better opportunity is available.

You may only get 1 kill the entire game. But if no one seen you at all, it could be worth it if that's what you want.

If on the other hand you want to be an aggressor and attempt to dominate the field. It should be expected that you will get shot may times.

Last edited by Ross; August 19th, 2013 at 21:02..
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 21:39   #6
McFearsom

I only play outdoors, grew up hunting outdoors and consider myself a country guy. You wear black in a bush, it'll get ya shot from my experience. Other than that have patience and pair up with someone willing to help you learn.
Old August 20th, 2013, 22:14   #7
Gerkraz

One of the big factors is also the field you play on. What's the vegetation like? Is it dense or sparse? Are there hills or is it flat? Swamp or fields?

All of that will affect your play style and you need to consider all of it when moving around.

Here are a couple of generic pointers:

- Never take the easiest path to a destination. If you're walking near a hill, don't walk at the top of it or right at the bottom. Try and stay somewhere in the middle. The easiest paths are where ambushes get set up.

- If you get engaged from the front, fall back a ways, then flank out perpendicular to the direction of the attack, then loop around and attempt to engage your attackers from the back. This is called cloverleafing and is one effective way of fighting through an ambush.

- When hiding, always pay attention to what is immediately behind you. Remember, enemies will be looking at you from the front, so even if you're hiding behind a nice bush, if you're in front of a light backdrop, they will still be able to see your outline. When selecting a hiding spot, look at it from the angle they will view it from, if possible, and try to conceal yourself as best you can with that in mind. If you don't have that luxury, just do your best, but at least be aware of it. You'll learn to pick out good spots from bad really quickly.

- As McFearsom said, partner up with a veteran if you can. They can teach you everything you need to know about fieldcraft, whether it's walking quietly, quick and easy camo techniques, or just plain when to hide and when to engage.
Gerkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 22:40   #8
Rusty Lugnuts
Fainting Goat, Dictator of Quinte West

it helps to identify a real sweet cover spot and then don't use it, instead use a lesser spot that has a good view of approach routes to the real sweet spot
Rusty Lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 22:43   #9
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFearsom View Post
I only play outdoors, grew up hunting outdoors and consider myself a country guy. You wear black in a bush, it'll get ya shot from my experience. Other than that have patience and pair up with someone willing to help you learn.
that being said I managed to hide in a forest in blue jeans and a black shirt with a lot of success.
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 23:01   #10
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gruntsworthy View Post

Veteran players of ASC, how do you do it? How do you not get lit up like a christmas tree?

I stay low, I avoid making unnecessary noise/giving away my position by moving bushes or grass... yet I'm still always spotted first.

Offhand, you may need a better outfit; maybe you do stick out, maybe you don't. Depends where you play.

Secondly, don't just "know" where you are: understand where you are. Understand where people could be in relation to you, how they might see you. This isn't CoD or BF: if you're waiting to see someone to know someone's there, you're most likely already dead.

Start by gaining a situational awareness of your immediate surroundings. That's about 30 meters/100 ft. distance (about a regulation basketball court in length), 360 degrees around, above and below. At that range, unless you're in some really dense bush, anyone who's got the drop on you can probably hit you with a single shot. Keep your head on a swivel, understand people are using cover and concealment, realize where the cover and concealment is in that area around you and where you need to put yourself to not be exposed to it in case there is someone there (cuz if it'll be too late when you out there IS someone there).

Then wait, observe, listen.

Figure out where you're moving to next. Figure out how you'll get there while minimizing how much you'll expose yourself. Then when you feel its reasonably safe to move, move.

Rince, repeat.

Its obviously easier if you have people with you to cover, etc.

Unless they're clueless and just bopping around the woods like they're on an easter egg on, then you're better off alone.
Old August 20th, 2013, 23:14   #11
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Practice, and training.. there is no "pill"to make you a good fighter
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 00:08   #12
tygr701
"Back to you, Bob!"

Send a message via MSN to tygr701
For starters work within your a group and communicate on enemy positions. Running around lone wolf through the woods is a recipe for getting shot up. Learn how to camouflage effectively according to your surroundings according to camo principles (shape, shadows, shine, silhouette, spacing). Use cover and concealment effectively en route and during a fire fight. Sometimes you have to choose moving through the bush vs going on the path which will give away your position or route. The more you play the more you learn. Read a woodland/jungle warfare field manual as well it will help you out.

TEAM MSF CHANNELS:
YouTube - Facebook - ASC - Instagram

Si vis pacem, para bellum
tygr701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:01   #13
Reignman
Hammburglar

Send a message via MSN to Reignman Send a message via Skype™ to Reignman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gruntsworthy View Post
Some people are trigger happy and don't take the time to identify targets. A lot of people will also shoot and then ask questions later. To avoid getting shot less, by your own team and the other, don't mix green with your tan load out and vice versa. Majority of games are usually green/vs tan. The less confusion the better.
Do you really think all 322 spots will sell out in a single day

Last edited by Reignman; August 21st, 2013 at 07:09..
Reignman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 09:44   #14
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Why not ask the local guys?
Being taught in person is far more effective than just reading comments here.
Unless the vets in your area are all a bunch of dicks and don't like teaching the new guys anything because they're afraid of the competition..... lol
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 18:25   #15
SuperHog

Newbies shoot at everything including their team mates. Heck they even shoot dead people walking off the field.
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures