Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Canadian Police Sidearms?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old February 23rd, 2014, 17:47   #1
erietdyk

Canadian Police Sidearms?

Hey all,

I'm going into policing, and I'm currently in Police Foundations. I wanted to get an airsoft sidearm to help familiarize myself with what I'd more than likely be using in the force, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere as to what that may be. I'm shooting for getting into the OPP, but I've had about 6 different answers as to what they use as their primary sidearm. So far, this is what I've heard:

- Glock 17/19
- SIG P226/229
- Beretta 92
- S&W Model 5906

So, does anyone actually know what OPP, or police in general, use as a sidearm in Canada? Better yet, are there any cops that'd be able to chime in? I've already got a WE G17, and if it's a Glock I'd be using, I think I'd order myself a KSC G17/G19. Otherwise, I don't know what I'd get.
erietdyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 18:03   #2
cetane

Every time I have been near enough to York or Durham officers to see their pistols they have been glocks. $0.02....
cetane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 18:06   #3
Scouser

In Winnipeg most have glocks, though a buddy of mine has special permission to use a Springfield instead, glock doesn't fit his hands right
Old February 23rd, 2014, 18:08   #4
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

I've read montreal police used at some point the walther p99 compact, maybe they still do.

Haven't seen an opp constable up close in a while to get a good look at the service piece... last time I saw one was old cam wooley way back when, when he used to visit the schools out in the middle of no where... I believe I saw the old .38 on him, which is kinda irrelevant now :P
Old February 23rd, 2014, 18:11   #5
K3vX

Some place in Quebec uses the Walther P99, DAO if I'm right. Glock are also seen often.

Edit: I've been sniped by above poster :P Just googled a little: SPVM (Montreal city) and Quebec City's police uses P990 (P99 DAO), SQ normally uses the Glock 17.

Last edited by K3vX; February 23rd, 2014 at 18:14..
K3vX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 18:11   #6
redneck12

I know the OPP in my town carry S&W 5906's.
redneck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 18:15   #7
skalnok

the OPP use a sig p226(p229) double action only
skalnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 18:15   #8
Jagd
Jagdalex

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
I've read montreal police used at some point the walther p99 compact, maybe they still do.
QFT...yup that's what they have!
Old February 23rd, 2014, 18:17   #9
R.T Plissken

OPP I've seen carry the Sig Sauer P226 with local police around here rocking the Glock 17's
R.T Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 18:23   #10
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

seen barrie PD with glocks
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 18:27   #11
erietdyk

Wow, awesome quick replies, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
In Winnipeg most have glocks, though a buddy of mine has special permission to use a Springfield instead, glock doesn't fit his hands right
That's interesting - so far I've been told I'll be using whatever is issued to me, but if I had a choice, I'd be going with a 1911 because of the size of my hands. The Glock 17 is nice and all, but the 1911 is what fits me the best and what I feel most comfortable using.

Seems to me the general consensus here is that I'll be using either a Glock or a P226.

Most people recommend either a Tokyo Marui or a KSC when choosing a Glock, with the KSC coming out on top as far as reliability goes, and the TM coming out on top as far as accuracy goes, but if I were to buy a P226, what would be the smartest option? I know there are lots of people who love the System 7 GBB pistols, so it may be another choice for KSC as far as that goes, but I'd like to hear some opinions if people are interested in giving them.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 18:50   #12
erietdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Skeletor- View Post
From talking with Police Officers I know, you've wasted your money by taking that course. Would have been better taking another course(doesn't need to be security/law related).

What are you hoping to gain from playing with a airsoft pistol? As well, the police will train and qualify you on their service pistol. People with zero firearms experience do this, and pass. If you want to really famil yourself with firearms, get your PAL/RPAL and purchase a firearm.

Are you going to mention on your application or interviews that you've gotten familiar with a airsoft copy of that departments pistol?

You should continue to expect to use whatever they will give you. If for some reason, a agency allows you to use another firearm I am sure it would have to be something they approve and most likely use the same ammo as the service pistol. The Police Officers I know, use what is issued, none of mentioned being allowed to use their own pistol.
I'm going to reply first by saying, wow, who pissed in your cheerios this morning?

Having said that, I knew going into it that PoFo wasn't required for policing, but I had close to zero law experience, even with my two prior diplomas. Having been in the course for close to half a year now, it's proven to give me a huge amount of knowledge on the subject, and I don't consider it a waste of time or money at all.

What I'm hoping to gain is a familiarity with whatever particular pistol I may be issued. It'd give me an advantage come Police College time if I know whichever pistol I get issued, how to disassemble it, and how well it fits my hands.

I do expect to use whatever is issued, I just found it a neat point.

And let me finalize my reply with a question: Do you have any friends? I'd guess not. Try getting some and you may be less of a prick.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 18:57   #13
ShelledPants

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2014, 18:59   #14
erietdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelledPants View Post
If he wants to dish it out, he can take it too. Being a "gold member" doesn't mean shit.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 19:05   #15
pancakedestroyer

You do realize that during your application process (if you even get accepted, because that isn't a guarantee) everything you've posted on here can, could and most likely will be brought up.

Going after your PAL and RPAL is a far better option than getting an airsoft pistol. Get a real one, snap caps, a range membership and develop and build on fundamental shooting skills.

That being said, police foundation courses are no replacement for life experience. Almost all agencies want some level of post secondary but they want someone with life experience more. School doesn't teach you how to interact with people, shrug off statements made with attitude, or respond reasonably when it's easy to hand back attitude to another individual.

Training with a real pistol is going to be more beneficial than an airsoft one.
pancakedestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion