Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

is the actually against the law?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Closed Thread

Old February 20th, 2008, 16:35   #1
cranberry

is the actually against the law?

ok, so i took my reciever into a laser engraving company to have it engraved with canadian forces marking's, but the women ( who was just a reseptionist) saw the reciever looked at me paniced and said " is that a real gun".... now i knwo most of u are pissed off at me for walking in public with this but here is the full story..... i phoned ahead of time, told them what i wanted done, told them i was brinign the peace down and they wre fine with it. the second i got there and this receptionist saw the reciever ( no other parts were onit.. just a blank reciever) she freaked out.. she started saying " that better not be real, we arnt touchign that, thats against the law etc..." i got fed up with he rbull shit and made it clear that it was just a toy and i already phoned there place and i was told on the phone it would be ok. she stopped being a bitch for about 2 minytes and let me show her what i wanted done to it. i showed her a picture of a reciever with the engraveings on it. she freake dout again and said i need permision from the canadian military to put those markings on the gun. well i argued with her for about 5 minutes and just gave up.. this women just didint want me there and was scarred as shit that i was talking about a TOY gun. i went back home and looked it up nd i cnt find ANYTHING saying its against the law to engrave military markings on anything. all i can find is how its illegal to make a replica that works the same as the real one.... nothign about looks, just the way it works...

should i go back there and ask to speak with teh manger, or should i leave this one alone and keep waiting till a receiver with canadian marking's pops up on the market?

Thanks

Cranberry
Old February 20th, 2008, 16:39   #2
Moderate

Go to a different laser engraving company, if these guys don't want your business, then that's their problem.
Old February 20th, 2008, 16:44   #3
cranberry

but is this really against the law? i already found another company thats going to do it.. but i more or less just wana get this bitch fired or something....
Old February 20th, 2008, 16:47   #4
Maverick0

Closest thing I could find was that it's illegal to impersonate military personnel... nothing about engraving military markings on anything. Hell, look at Marui's, their armalites say property of the US Gov't on them etc...
Old February 20th, 2008, 16:57   #5
GraveTech

Send a message via MSN to GraveTech
Copyright infringement? I am sure they aren't aloud to do company logo's without the express written consent of the company or individual that owns the logo. You don't own the forces logo so that may be their worry.
Old February 20th, 2008, 17:01   #6
Bowers

Send a message via MSN to Bowers
i say you shoulda asked for the manager the first time
Old February 20th, 2008, 17:01   #7
cranberry

but there is nothing on the gn that is owned by the government. its an egraveing of a canadian flag.. thats all.. the rest is all words that say " C7 Canadian forces etc..." how can that be a lgo?.. i didint knwo it was against the la to engrave the canadian flag on something
Old February 20th, 2008, 17:02   #8
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
Since you don't have your profile filled in, can you tell us all the name of the place and what city it's in so we can avoid them?
Old February 20th, 2008, 17:02   #9
Bowers

Send a message via MSN to Bowers
not even a flag just a maple leaf

how many people over the years have gotten a maple leaf tattoo? do i need permission from the government to get a tattoo now?!
Old February 20th, 2008, 17:03   #10
The Saint

Contact the person you originally spoke to and relay your experience to him. It might not even be the place for that ignorant receptionist to say no to you.
Old February 20th, 2008, 17:05   #11
hattrick
NAAZ's #1 fan!

Send a message via MSN to hattrick
I would have slapped her, in fact where is this place?

maybe not from this .. and probably not today... but I assure you, you will die
Old February 20th, 2008, 17:07   #12
cranberry

its a place called inovative laser works its in winnipeg manitoba
Old February 20th, 2008, 17:12   #13
GraveTech

Send a message via MSN to GraveTech
It's not the fact that it's a maple leaf, you can have that done anywhere. You have a maple leaf and some text below it, you have a logo.
Old February 20th, 2008, 17:35   #14
Apoc_
Eagle Eye

G'day,

I spoke to our unit security officer (I work for DND, but as an overpaid civilian) and was told that exact duplication of CF markings is illegal. Technically, any use of DND/CF logos or markings anywhere is. Even posting a picture of the markings you wanted on the receiver in this forum would be. However, there's no chance of prosecution so that receptionist was just being paranoid.

APOCALYPSE - TEAM HELLFISH
Old February 20th, 2008, 17:52   #15
Danke

This sounds like another great case for some common sense.

1) Any business can refuse to service you, sometimes the reasons may not seem "fair" but that's how society works. You can't expect that person at the door to recognize that what you're carrying is what you say it is. It screams machine gun.

2) The general public in Canada does not like guns, toy guns, training guns, pictures of guns, and so on. It sounds like you made a good first step by inquiring by phone but then it fell apart face to face.

3) No doubt they get other requests to engrave items with trademarks and have a blanket policy of refusing to do so. Counterfeiting is a hot button topic even when the guy coming through the door says it's for personal use, or a practical joke if they don't know you then they don't trust you.

So take what you've learned here in hand, don't go back there. Walk in empty handed to the next place, tell them exactly what you want and why and make sure that if they say it can be done you deal face to face with that person when you bring the parts in. Preferably in a nondescript package, not a gun case or slung under a trench coat.
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion