Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Version 2 Gearbox - Something Broke

:

Doctor's Corner

Old April 17th, 2013, 01:53   #1
Bar1975

Version 2 Gearbox - Something Broke

Hey guys..

My gun stopped firing during a game over the past weekend. When i got home and opened it up the trigger contacts appeared fried (running a 11.1V lipo)

Its an M4 with a V2 Gearbox

While looking closer i noticed a broken off piece of the gearbox shell next to the trigger assembly. When i removed the trigger assembly the piece that is broken off is this little post that was attached to the gearbox shell and sits directly under the cut off lever and behind the moving trigger part (the part of the trigger that moves and is attached with a spring) It appears to be something to block this floating trigger piece from moving too far back.. but with the trigger put back in and the gearbox closed up it seems to work fine..I haven't put the gun back together yet so not sure what the affect is..

Do any of you know the piece im referring too? Is it a critical component?
Bar1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:04   #2
Kos-Mos

It's exactly that, the trigger stop.

When you fire your gun, you will press the trigger and when the cut-off lever engages, the trigger block will release from the trigger.

If that stop is not there, the trigger block will be pulled back and outside the rails by the spring at top, and you will have to take the mechbox appart to fire the second shot.

It can be replaced with a set-screw drilled and tapped in place. Or a new mechbox shell, but then you will have to completely redo the insides (shimming and fitting everything).

You can also buy a cheap drop-in mechbox, but as the name implies, it might not last long.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:27   #3
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

I just went through this lol.
Was an echo1 gearbox. Got a lonex its sweet but the echo1 cutoff lever doesnt work with it well so there is no semi. Also of note i dont think the echo1 gears worked well either cause they strippe after 40 or 50 rounds and i had to replace em with lonex gears. To save cash and hassels id suggest grabbing a lonex complete drop in box and a merf 3.2 (or other fet from gates) airsoftstore.ca has em.
Together they are an awesome pair and you wont fry trigger contacts any more. Plus youll have burst function if you want and rof controll and some other good features.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 02:33   #4
BennyBoy

I wanna throw in a complete lonex into my Dboys RDW =D
BennyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 03:09   #5
zone 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
I just went through this lol.
Was an echo1 gearbox. Got a lonex its sweet but the echo1 cutoff lever doesnt work with it well so there is no semi. Also of note i dont think the echo1 gears worked well either cause they strippe after 40 or 50 rounds and i had to replace em with lonex gears. To save cash and hassels id suggest grabbing a lonex complete drop in box and a merf 3.2 (or other fet from gates) airsoftstore.ca has em.
Together they are an awesome pair and you wont fry trigger contacts any more. Plus youll have burst function if you want and rof controll and some other good features.
LOL ya sounds familiar. Im not following you your just in front.
zone 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 03:22   #6
HKGhost

That post is needed and to fix it is very simple. Just drill a hole in the exact same spot and tap it with a screw you're putting in. Then just cut off the head of the screw and you're set. Try and put in a screw that's about the same diameter as the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar1975 View Post
Hey guys..

My gun stopped firing during a game over the past weekend. When i got home and opened it up the trigger contacts appeared fried (running a 11.1V lipo)

Its an M4 with a V2 Gearbox

While looking closer i noticed a broken off piece of the gearbox shell next to the trigger assembly. When i removed the trigger assembly the piece that is broken off is this little post that was attached to the gearbox shell and sits directly under the cut off lever and behind the moving trigger part (the part of the trigger that moves and is attached with a spring) It appears to be something to block this floating trigger piece from moving too far back.. but with the trigger put back in and the gearbox closed up it seems to work fine..I haven't put the gun back together yet so not sure what the affect is..

Do any of you know the piece im referring too? Is it a critical component?

Custom Build | Upgrades | Repairs | Maintenance
HKGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:17   #7
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKGhost View Post
That post is needed and to fix it is very simple. Just drill a hole in the exact same spot and tap it with a screw you're putting in. Then just cut off the head of the screw and you're set. Try and put in a screw that's about the same diameter as the original post.
This method does work but it would depend on the fact that most people have fine-thread tap sets. My other concern is that the thickness of the gearbox isn't enough to support the # of turns needed to really secure the screw once the head is cut off.

I've done it before and secured the whole thing with JB-weld for insurance afterwards, it's not an elegant solution by any means.
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 19:57   #8
Bar1975

sorry guys.. what is a "tap" when you are referring to tap the set screw in place?

Also.. the upgrades in this gearbox are worth more than the gun itself so a drop in box is not an option. A new gearbox shell maybe.. but damm it.. i just took this gun out for the new season and now i have to deal with this!!
Old April 17th, 2013, 20:08   #9
Dynamo
Harvester of Noobs' Sorrow

Send a message via MSN to Dynamo
tap on the left, die on the right.

Don't look at me, I don't know, lol ¯\(°_o)/¯.
Dynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 20:15   #10
Bar1975

oh wow.. what the hell is that? LOL.. this makes the screw thread i'm guessing.

How do i use this.. where do i get one.. are they one size fits all or do i need one for each screw size i use?
Old April 17th, 2013, 20:20   #11
Deadpool

I'd say...Stop fiddling with it, put everything in a box and find a good gun doc.

Vérificateur d'age Mauricie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
So you're saying we cannot engage in a hobby once we are older?

Children these days.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2013, 20:25   #12
Bar1975

no need for a gun doc.. i'm pretty good at this stuff. I have plenty of guns now and I've upgraded every single one with great results.

I've just never used a screw tap before..
Old April 17th, 2013, 20:33   #13
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

You tap a hole you use a die to thread a screw get with it man (jk lol i know its new to u im just bein silly)
In all seriousness just buy a lonex shell for 50 or 60 bucks and stick the guts in it. Ill tell you almost certianly that the trigger post in the lonex wont bust. Its about 4 times as wide at the base as the one on my echo1 box. The lonex shell is the best thing to happen to the v2 mechbox scince. TM came up with the v2 mechbox.
Quote:
Thanks Hectic,
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Old April 17th, 2013, 20:51   #14
Bar1975

Will the LONEX shell fit inside an M4A1 CQB (Full metal)?

It's a CYMA COLT M4A1 CQB (full metal one piece hop up, rear wired)
Old April 17th, 2013, 21:07   #15
Hectic

As long as you get the v2 shell then yes it should fit ( it should fit in 90% of m4 m16 guns) and being a metal body you could always sand/file/dremel if needed but i think the cyma stuff isnt too bad for taking tm based v2 boxes
Quote:
Thanks Hectic,
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner