Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

KJW KP-06 Review

:

Reviews

Old January 28th, 2010, 23:17   #1
juicy

KJW KP-06 Review

KJW's KP-06 is also known under a Cybergun rebrand as a "Colt Rail Concept 2009". I have the Cybergun version, and haven't bothered to touch the provided CO2 magazine. Basically the KP06 is a long-frame 6" Hi-Capa. [Hey, ILLusion - I got a clone Hi-Capa after all! And it isn't even bad!!!]

In the box, you get a small packet of BBs, manual, allen key (for removal of the CO2 chamber cap-thingy), one CO2 magazine, and the GBB itself. Upon removing the KP-06 out of the box, I was not surprised at how front-heavy a 6" full metal Hi-Capa is... though i was surprised at how it is actually rather balanced with a magazine inserted. Note the stock fibre optic front (probably not adjustable, haven't tried hard enough yet) and adjustable rear sights - they make for easy target acquisition, as compared to the stock TM 5.1 sights. For the front sight post, the fibre optic rod does NOT extend all the way through, rather the front end of the post is solid - therefore if you're shooting in low-light situations, with a light source in front of you, the front sight post will be practically invisible, as compared to the light that the rear sight fibre optic rods will pick up. Also, note that the stock KJW features an extended slide lock (though this is tough to actuate without knocking the safety lever as well, or so I find) and adjustable trigger stop. The magwell is light and isn't the nicest metal finish I've seen around - however, it will get the job done just fine. The plastic grip does not line up correctly with the inside edges of magwell - a potential problem when performing hurried reloads (and thus defeating the purpose of included a flared magwell at all); however, this problem is easily correctable with a Dremel and a short amount of your time. Also, the MSH has an odd flare on the side that is presented to the magazine well - this is not present on the TM MSH, and it can easily interfere with the insertion of a magazine; this is likely the area of most concern in terms of changing mags quickly.

The plastic used on the grip feels nice, and the texturing is great for use with bare hands. However, seam lines do exist; most prominent are those that run under the trigger guard, potentially making extended periods of gripping the KP-06 uncomfortable with bare hands (nevertheless, KJW's grip plastics are not all that hard, and filing the seams away is an easy feat). Mag catch is of a slightly lower profile than on the stock TM, and was a little squeaky/sticky out of the box - application of some silicone oil appears to have done the trick, or perhaps this is just a matter of breaking-in the gun. There is a slight wobble in the right-side safety lever, though I don't intend to be shooting extensively with this KJW so this doesn't matter to me. And the metal moulding is excellent - no seams or anything, as far as I've seen (hehe... I made a dorky funny!).

Please note that the slide stop post-bit (part that inserts through the frame) is a millimeter or so wider on the KJW, and fits in there with a bit more friction than on a stock TM with stock frame and stock hop up chamber. Also, the magwell does fit on a TM grip, as the size/shape is slightly different - bummer, I know. I can't say for sure if a magwell built for TM Hi-Capa's will fit on a KJW grip, at this time, but I highly doubt it. Too bad that the KJW grip is just much more comfortable in my hands than the stock TM one.

Printed on the left side of the slide is: "COLT 2009 RAIL CONCEPT" and underneath that, in smaller sized font, "AUTOMATIC - CAL.6MM". Stamped on (a sloppy paint job-ed) the left side of the rear sight is a "R" in a circle. The right side of the frame reads "U09090900192" - possibly this is unique, though I'm not sure? And just to prove that the OEM is KJW, "KJ" in a circle and "MADE IN TAIWAN" are stamped into the frame. And yes, the frame and slide and all that are actually black, unlike the wacked half-grey that the TM Hi-Capa frames are. Also, the orange tip is frigging ugly - disgustingly so.

Hammer/firing mech appears to be solid, though there is a little bit of trigger slop at the start of a trigger pull. Metal used for the controls has shown very little wear so far. Stock recoil spring is definitely strong enough for me. Included on the long-ass guide rod is a shock buffer (I removed mine to allow for make-shift slingshot racking - the slide stop notch will catch on the top of the slide stop when the slide is locked back, thus pushing the stop out of the way and allowing the slide to return forward to battery). Spring guide is kept in place by with a hole in it, and a little knob that is a part of the chamber (think of the design on TM 1911's... or of ... oh - never mind, that's dirty). Spring guide plug is silver, and is completely round and is a drop-in fit to the Marui space for a spring guide plug, just that the KJW one has no notch to keep the alignment of plug-slide consistent. Hop up dial - true to this KJW TM clone nature - seems to want to reset itself after a while - though this may settle down in time, after more shots have been fired. Note that though I have no doubt that the red loading muzzle and red plastic piston combination will be able to take repeated abuse of CO2, they WILL NOT work properly a Dyna piston as is - the valve blocker is just a bar going across the inside of the loading muzzle; a different design than in most TM's/clones and the KJW one will only work with the stock-TM-type piston. I personally swapped a Guarder loading muzzle and Dyna piston combination onto mine - more just a personal preference, as I can't stand the sound/recoil (or lack thereof) of the stock TM-type piston head. BBU looks solid to me and has no issues with accepting the loading muzzle/piston combination I dropped in there. Feed ramp looks a heck of a lot better than the one on my KJW M9 (serious issues with BB's flying out of the ejection port on this one) - very similar to the TM Hi-Capa in dimensions and all.

Best part of all - NO BARREL WOBBLE AT ALL. This makes me very happy , as barrel wobble/poor slide-frame fitment is the bane of my existence. Inner barrel-outer barrel fit is great (not excellent, though - but pretty damn good for a stock fit, especially from a cloning company), though the outer chamber/outer barrel are two separate parts and if the outer barrel becomes too loose, the slide will have a hard time cycling (no.... really? lol).

Kicks like a mule, with TM mags, aftermarket piston, and enhanced hammer spring installed. Even without the piston/hammer spring, it kicks hard. Perhaps all that mass of metal slide blowing back at once is the result of this haha.

Long distance shooting has not yet been evaluated, though I anticipate that the long inner barrel will allow for accuracy and range on par of that of a TM 5.1. FPS is quoted to be 345 with 0.2 g BB's and the KJW CO2 mags (though, I plan on using neither with this GBB). Gas usage and cool down effects are surprisingly minimal, with use of the TM mags - even by powering the heavier 6" slide. One and a half mags of a full load of BB's can be easily rapid fired in room temperature. I won't give you shooting results on accuracy, as my stance, grip and trigger pull all are not yet up to a self-imposed standard of consistency.

As to my current set up - I have grafted the slide onto a TM frame/grip assembly... and thus have a long-slide Hi-Capa. Perfect fit and operation, though the slide rails on the TM frame seem to be a bit of a looser fit with the KJW slide (though not enough to annoy me... yet). Also note that not all of my TM Hi-Capa mags fit and functioned perfectly with the KJW grip - some were too tight, and one tended to knock its valve against something in the area of the valve knocker (woo hoo, leaky mag... but not the mag's fault); thus another reason for me to swap the long slide onto the TM (at least, until I get some sort of metal slide/barrel for my legit Japanese-made 5.1). With a TM lower, you get rid of the trigger slop and sticky mag catch - another bonus. However, I'm not sure if the KJW's hop up is up to par with the TM Hi-Capa one just yet...

In conclusion, the KJW KP-06 is an excellent buy. An exceptionally solid clone performer out of the box, one can drop in whatever TM Hi-Capa upgrades they wish with a little bit of thought and very minimal work. And if you actually read all of the above text, give yourself a pat on the back, courtesy of me - you deserve it.

Finally, some gun pron has been attached for all you horny little b4stards. Yup, some size comparisons for y'all ("size does matter"... or something increasingly lame catch line like that). Now, it is time for me to resume "essay writing"... a.k.a. procrastinating. Feel free to post questions, concerns, "WTF is wrong with you, Juicy?"s, or whatever you feel like. I will probably respond to you in a somewhat timely manner, lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1014.JPG (892.0 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1016.JPG (1.25 MB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1018.JPG (1.07 MB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1021.JPG (1.46 MB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1034.JPG (1.54 MB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1035.JPG (1.28 MB, 77 views)

Last edited by juicy; January 28th, 2010 at 23:30.. Reason: Thanks to Styrak for sending me this one. Your welcome for sending you my money in return, Styrak.
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 23:30   #2
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Basically it's a replica of SVI Xcelerator.
Isn't the slide heavy?

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 23:35   #3
juicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hitman View Post
Basically it's a replica of SVI Xcelerator.
Isn't the slide heavy?
Yup, that it is - SVI Xcelerator... though I wasn't aware that there was a TM version of any sort out there, is there? Oh, you're talking WA aren't you? So, yes - externally, it strives towards the SVI Xcelerator.

Nope, the slide isn't all that heavy for its size. But, compared to your typical full-size pistol... hell yes, its heavy. Most of the weight is on the muzzle end though - mostly the spring guide and outer barrel.
Old January 28th, 2010, 23:42   #4
Ragboy

mmm...me want!
Ragboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 23:44   #5
MoreToasties
Art affectionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy View Post
Yup, that it is - SVI Xcelerator... though I wasn't aware that there was a TM version of any sort out there, is there? Oh, you're talking WA aren't you? So, yes - externally, it strives towards the SVI Xcelerator.
He means a replica of the real steel.

MoreToasties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 23:48   #6
juicy

Ohhhhhh... okay, in that case - I guess so? Personally, I'm not all that familiar with the 2011's out there.
Old January 29th, 2010, 01:53   #7
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
You forgot to mention where you got it from!

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 02:06   #8
juicy

Oh no, I didn't, Styrak. Read my "reason for editing". Subliminal messaging for all but the most observant of ASC-goers. Not bah, eh? lol
Old May 27th, 2011, 13:12   #9
Scouser

Sorry for the necro post, tried to pm juicy to ask all this, but his inbox is full.

So Juicy, 1 year later how is the kp06 holding up?

What mags have you found perform best with it in terms of range and accuracy and consistancy? Co2 or Gas? KJW, TM, or WE mags?

How does it handle any aftermarket hi-capa upgrade or replacement parts?

Any major performance issues to watch out for? How many mags have you run through the gun in the last year?

Just wanting to get an idea of what to look out for over a year of use.

I just ordered one from stryak myself and am really looking forward to it.
Scouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 19:15   #10
juicy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
Sorry for the necro post, tried to pm juicy to ask all this, but his inbox is full.

So Juicy, 1 year later how is the kp06 holding up?

What mags have you found perform best with it in terms of range and accuracy and consistancy? Co2 or Gas? KJW, TM, or WE mags?

How does it handle any aftermarket hi-capa upgrade or replacement parts?

Any major performance issues to watch out for? How many mags have you run through the gun in the last year?

Just wanting to get an idea of what to look out for over a year of use.

I just ordered one from stryak myself and am really looking forward to it.
Sorry haven't been on ASC in a while. 1 year later and it was sold months ago lol. I personally found CO2 tended to get stuff stuck in awkward spots, so I just stuck with TM mags + dry propane (dry to keep excess oil from building up in hop up rubber/barrel).

Can't remember what exactly ended up in there, but AFAIK the disconnector/sear business wasn't quite to TM specs so it wouldn't take TM stuff via drop ins. Mags... oh lots. No glaring performance issues before I sold it.
Old June 17th, 2011, 17:02   #11
pewpew

A few things to note: the hop up and barrel kept parting on mine (it was on very tight and even tried different barrels/rubber) fix was a we/tm unit. Also the c02 mags are finicky, they seal and leak all the time, very unreliable. Also note that a 150% recoil spring does wonders on this gun. Although the slide is lighter than it looks, it was still very sluggish. Also kjw mags are so so, go with tm and you will be fine.
pewpew is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews