Mosfet unknown failure ASCU+ASHU

:

Doctor's Corner

Old October 7th, 2013, 18:25   #1
GBBR
Banned

Send a message via MSN to GBBR Send a message via Skype™ to GBBR
Mosfet unknown failure ASCU+ASHU

ASCU is installed in brand new Lonex Drop in gear box, I am using a Guarder Infinite Torque Motor with this gearbox.

After installing the gearbox back inside the G&P body, and reassembling the gun, I fired it a few times on semi auto and full auto.

as I was firing, my rifle magically stopped, naturally what you do when something like that happens is wonder if the battery connections are still good.

I checked all my wiring connections, battery and motor and I cannot seem to get the gearbox to function again. When I plug in a new battery it would make a beeping noise and now it no longer does this.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem before? the gun WAS working and magically stopped working. I made sure I did not use a battery that could damage the mosfet unit. I used a G&P 9.6V numchuck. Its the first time that I've been this stumped on a gun.
GBBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 19:48   #2
GBBR
Banned

checked all wires for continuity all wires are good.
Old October 7th, 2013, 20:53   #3
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
Nice signature!
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 21:13   #4
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

ascu fried itself? doesn't seem to be an uncommon occurrence with them.
Old October 7th, 2013, 21:24   #5
GBBR
Banned

so, ASCU's actaully fry themselves and its common?

I literally put -25 test shots on it and it fried? thats something I really don't want to believe
Old October 8th, 2013, 07:16   #6
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

It is not uncommon. I had an ASCU v2 and it died after 10 shots.

If your wiring is good, maybe try putting it in another gearbox and test outside of a receiver.
Alternatively swap the entire wiring harness out for a stock one - test. If that works, then it's the FET - Diagnosis by system exclusion.

Last edited by Stealth; October 8th, 2013 at 08:59..
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 08:54   #7
venture

I probably did 10 or so ASCU installs and I had two dead ones in such a small sample. I don't get them anymore.

Visit us at :www.ventureairsoft.ca
venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 15:10   #8
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

if you've tested continuity in all your wiring, then the thing that all the wiring is connected to remains the last piece of your electrical trouble.. if so then.. well there's your answer.

it's sad that ascu has all these fancy features but they're ridiculously poor fitting or unreliable. All those fancy features are useless if the fet doesn't work.

though I'm looking forward to projects like the darkfire that will provide ridiculous modular design as long as someone is willing to do the coding for those expanded features.

If you're looking for a trigger board fet unit that replaces the trigger, the chimera might be a better choice, BTC reported that the first batch of 500 chimeras produced 0 came back with manufacturing errors and a few had parts break due to hamfisted installs.

Btw... I cheetah all the time. <1% failure rate on cheetah and 2n units with essentially lifetime warranty.
Old October 8th, 2013, 15:42   #9
coach
aka coachster

I've had the ASCU fail as well as the AWS raptor.

I have the new BTC spectre but have yet to have a chance to test it. Will probably install it into a drop in Lonex when I find the time.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 16:04   #10
Renegade)
A Total Bastard

Either your motor is fried, try it manually outside the gun, data cable wire is broken, or the ASCU is fried. I have had 2, both failed, if it wasnt the fragile data cable giving me grief, the unit was failing until it no longer responded when I plug in a fresh battery.
I have since gone Cheetah and Chimera
Old October 8th, 2013, 17:09   #11
Adamlxlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
I've had the ASCU fail as well as the AWS raptor.

I have the new BTC spectre but have yet to have a chance to test it. Will probably install it into a drop in Lonex when I find the time.
Your going to love the spectre. I just put one into my scar h and its just magic.
Adamlxlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 18:25   #12
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamlxlx View Post
Your going to love the spectre. I just put one into my scar h and its just magic.
Sadly, it's taking a back seat to the P* M4 SPR/DMR.
The current mechbox in the mini M4 was rebuilt for me this past spring and is a solid beast so unless I get a third madbull receiver for the Spectre, it won't be until next summer. I built them with the intention of swappable uppers and have been looking for a third upper for a mid length AR.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 21:59   #13
GBBR
Banned

Update

Everything was tested.

In conclusion, Mosfet MUSTVE fried itself

I was really hoping there was some simple thing that was wrong and not the actual mosfet itself, I guess I got to swallow the hard truth that I must've bought a lemon and this kinda stuff just happens. I'm at a lost of words on how disappointed I am. Shame, now its time to shell out a MOSFET for a customer, LOL
Old October 9th, 2013, 01:05   #14
DustMagnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBR View Post
Update

Everything was tested.

In conclusion, Mosfet MUSTVE fried itself

I was really hoping there was some simple thing that was wrong and not the actual mosfet itself, I guess I got to swallow the hard truth that I must've bought a lemon and this kinda stuff just happens. I'm at a lost of words on how disappointed I am. Shame, now its time to shell out a MOSFET for a customer, LOL
I have to admit, I've not heard good things about ASCUs.

I was going to try a BTC Spectre but I was under the impression that some one in Canada was going to carry them (cough, Stealth, cough) so I didn't order one direct and now they are out of stock.
DustMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 01:25   #15
GBBR
Banned

I blame only myself for my lack of insight towards this product, I should have researched about this product before promising a customer that I'll install it. now I have to find a few new ones, and install them in free for the customer. from now on I'm going to refuse any mosfet jobs as I think they are simply too risky.

My wallet hurts.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner