Systema PTW Broken Upper Receiver due to over-tight Barrel Nut

:

Doctor's Corner

Old February 8th, 2008, 17:27   #31
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt Vince View Post
Loctite 324 + Loctite 7075 as a temporary solutions, withstands 30000PSI and 300 degrees F before loosing it's properties. We used that in dies at work and they are still running strong.
Nah, I'm through with using adhesive to piece cracked die cast parts together. Besides that, the cracks run so thoroughly through the receiver that I honestly don't think this would work - besides the amount of force I'd have to apply to the upper receiver to close the gaps back up to within 1mm...

For those who are interested, here is a great reference on modifying real steel uppers for PTW use:

http://www.systema-ptw.com/forum/for...s.asp?TID=1359
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 18:07   #32
leblanc74

Send a message via MSN to leblanc74
why do people keep on breaking the upper when changing the barrel.... I just use a DPMS armored wrentch and use my hand.....by using your hands by holding the receiver in one and the other having that wrentch it gives the stress some release, and placing that upper in a vise well the stress has to go somewhere... I have done this numerous time and I never broke my upper... just my 2 cents...

and yes just get a real steal uppers and convert it.... if you want more pictures on the uppers just give me your email... I have Colt's and VLTOR examples sitting in my workshop...or better yet, I can look to have it done for you....
leblanc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 18:29   #33
Ronan
Official Crybaby Chairsofter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leblanc74 View Post
I just use a DPMS armored wrentch and use my hand.....by using your hands by holding the receiver in one and the other having that wrentch it gives the stress some release, and placing that upper in a vise well the stress has to go somewhere... .

Yes it goes in the upper mold thats made specifically to relieve the stress from the upper.

People who break their uppers don't use the upper mold vise.
Ronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 23:10   #34
MadMorbius
What year was that PTW Brian? Is this still a problem with the newer models?
Old February 9th, 2008, 00:48   #35
Raven

Send a message via ICQ to Raven
If i go with Vodnik's advice, you really need the armorers wrench AND the plastic vice stand for uppers to do a safe job on any uppers. the stand is not expensive and well worth it for PTW owners.... cause with that wrench, its quite easy to over torque!...of course you have to use caution when applying force...(usually i put my hand as far up the wrench as possible to avoid over stress)

Armorers Wrench

Plastic Vice Stand

i know this is late.. but for anyone else thiking of doing any kind of work!

hope this helps.

Last edited by Raven; February 9th, 2008 at 00:51..
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 07:43   #36
Ibby

Send a message via ICQ to Ibby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
I'm actually looking in to acquiring a real upper now. After looking at the price of a replacement Systema upper, it only makes sense to get a real upper at this point...
If you don't have any plans for the broken upper, I'd like to get it from you just to see if my roomie can fix it. At worst it stays broken, at best you wind up with a spare upper. They guy has some real welding talent, I've watched him TIG cigarette foil together.
Old February 9th, 2008, 17:00   #37
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leblanc74 View Post
why do people keep on breaking the upper when changing the barrel.... I just use a DPMS armored wrentch and use my hand.....by using your hands by holding the receiver in one and the other having that wrentch it gives the stress some release, and placing that upper in a vise well the stress has to go somewhere... I have done this numerous time and I never broke my upper... just my 2 cents...
I couldn't do it by hand. That was the first thing I tried. This barrel nut is on TIGHT.

After cracking the upper receiver, I tried putting some real pressure on the wrench to get her open (because... well... things couldn't really get worse, could they...) even to the point of striking the wrench with a mallet to release the barrel nut and it still wouldn't budge. The freakin' hole for the dummy gas tube is still perfectly lined up!

I'm going to get my hands on a Bushmaster wrench and vice mold and hopefully I'll be able to crack this bitch open with those tools....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMorbius View Post
What year was that PTW Brian? Is this still a problem with the newer models?
It was a 2007. Ronan's is apparently a 2008 and he was able to get his open with a Bushmaster vice & armourer's wrench... although from what he told me, he had a bit of trouble with it at first as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
If you don't have any plans for the broken upper, I'd like to get it from you just to see if my roomie can fix it. At worst it stays broken, at best you wind up with a spare upper. They guy has some real welding talent, I've watched him TIG cigarette foil together.
Sounds good. Once I finish using the original upper as a reference to modify a real steel, I'll shoot it your way.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 17:03   #38
pawscal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post

Serious talent for sure!
Old February 11th, 2008, 19:31   #39
leblanc74

Send a message via MSN to leblanc74
Hey Illusion...

I am quite found on my DPMS wrench... it costed me around 35$... The silver one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
I couldn't do it by hand. That was the first thing I tried. This barrel nut is on TIGHT.

After cracking the upper receiver, I tried putting some real pressure on the wrench to get her open (because... well... things couldn't really get worse, could they...) even to the point of striking the wrench with a mallet to release the barrel nut and it still wouldn't budge. The freakin' hole for the dummy gas tube is still perfectly lined up!

I'm going to get my hands on a Bushmaster wrench and vice mold and hopefully I'll be able to crack this bitch open with those tools....

It was a 2007. Ronan's is apparently a 2008 and he was able to get his open with a Bushmaster vice & armourer's wrench... although from what he told me, he had a bit of trouble with it at first as well.

Sounds good. Once I finish using the original upper as a reference to modify a real steel, I'll shoot it your way.
leblanc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 00:16   #40
Foker1337

Reference link to systema PTW forum is broken. Does anyone have an archived version or a link to the updated one?
Foker1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 12:05   #41
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foker1337 View Post
Reference link to systema PTW forum is broken. Does anyone have an archived version or a link to the updated one?
You mean your brand new upper receiver cracked and you're looking for a warranty replacement?
Either hit up your retailer for warranty, or buy a new upper.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner