Border Services probe nets 800 illegal replica guns, 78 criminal charges

:

General

Old July 31st, 2008, 23:42   #46
Drache
BALLET, TYPE: SELF LOATHING, ANALBURST

Quote:
Originally Posted by surebet View Post
Ive gotten that damn thing about 4 times already today.....
Drache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 23:42   #47
The Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
But the fact remains that ownership or acquiring parts and accessories isn't illegal, and I doubt they're on a crusade against the Canadian airsofting community.
The question is whether they know it's legal or not. If they follow CFC's lead, CBSA would think that the acquisition and possession of replicas are illegal.

Now, if they want to the legality of replica firearm for individuals in front of a judge, they can. Good odds we'll come out on top.
Old July 31st, 2008, 23:44   #48
Drache

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
The question is whether they know it's legal or not. If they follow CFC's lead, CBSA would think that the acquisition and possession of replicas are illegal.

Now, if they want to the legality of replica firearm for individuals in front of a judge, they can. Good odds we'll come out on top.
You know as much as that would suck, it might actually help the sport, have a judge state airsoft are just toys and not illegal
Old July 31st, 2008, 23:45   #49
mcguyver

Nice thought Drake, but all the gun-fearing voters hear is " Blah, blah... 800 guns siezed...blah, blah...charges laid" and their vote follows them straight to the polls.

I mean, Canada is much safer when those illegal replica guns are off the street and those involved are punished.

Perception means far more than actual results.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 23:51   #50
The Saint

Anyone notice the emphasis on handguns? They could've emphasis how sinister all them black rifles are, but they didn't. Unless the people charged were importing just pistols for a good while, which they probably weren't, one wonders why the emphasis on pistols, rather than across the board evil military guns?
Old July 31st, 2008, 23:57   #51
Bowers

Send a message via MSN to Bowers
theres a discussion of this on CGN heres a comment

"They seized about 10 to 15, from the store. Where the number 800 comes from I don't know. It took 2 years to process the paperwork and charges, no wonder we have a border like a sieve. All airsoft and all sold to airsoft players. You can get the same thing in clear plastic damm near anywhere.

Nice hype in the story though."

so where does the number 800 come from?
Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 23:57   #52
ColtFarmer

Send a message via MSN to ColtFarmer
The game is STILL ON. jesus.
Old July 31st, 2008, 23:58   #53
Shrapnel[Op-For]

I'll never understand why a kid (with a parent) could easily choose from large variety of pellet guns that could potentially severally harm someone MUCH more than an airsoft gun ever could. BUT if he wanted an airsoft gun that shoots 250 fps, it would be harder to get a hold of because it looks real.

Oh and by the way... ever notice that airsoft is spell checked as a typo even though this is an airsoft site?.... OH NO SECRET SPY TAMPERING WITH THE SERVER?
Shrapnel[Op-For] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 23:59   #54
ShortCut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSF-Bowers View Post
theres a discussion of this on CGN heres a comment

"They seized about 10 to 15, from the store. Where the number 800 comes from I don't know. It took 2 years to process the paperwork and charges, no wonder we have a border like a sieve. All airsoft and all sold to airsoft players. You can get the same thing in clear plastic damm near anywhere.

Nice hype in the story though."

so where does the number 800 come from?
Yeah, 800 seems like a bit too many don't you think?
ShortCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 00:00   #55
matt491

lol.....willie wong......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
It will help to not get you flamed here, and will help you get a job that doesn't require the repeated use of the phrase "Would you like fries with that?"
matt491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 00:05   #56
Drache

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Shrapnel[Op-For
Oh and by the way... ever notice that airsoft is spell checked as a typo even though this is an airsoft site?.... OH NO SECRET SPY TAMPERING WITH THE SERVER?
Does that to me no matter what forums Im on...
Old August 1st, 2008, 00:19   #57
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Anyone notice the emphasis on handguns? They could've emphasis how sinister all them black rifles are, but they didn't. Unless the people charged were importing just pistols for a good while, which they probably weren't, one wonders why the emphasis on pistols, rather than across the board evil military guns?
Probably because the replica guns being used in crimes or otherwise found in the possession of local street gangs are cheap handguns. In terms of replicas, "cheap handguns" are probably the main offender. If nothing else, the people using them are doing so because they can't afford a real "gat" [lol, I had to], so they probably wont dump $1200 for an M249.

Besides, that's pretty hard to conceal in your track pants.

...Specially with the 200 round box attached. :P

Quote:

Ownership itself is pretty much explicitly defined as being allowed, it's the transfer (or rather the unlicensed transfer) which is illegal.

As far as parts and accessories, as I recall the tariff stated they were legal, but regardless they've been consistently allowed for import (full inspection, etc). Only receivers are being restricted.

My point on that, with regard to my previous post, is you can't just agree something is legal and let people import it and then turn around, change your mind and criminalize them overnight without warning.

Plus you have issues like the PTW (which someone even commented about a few posts up): they ship with enough power to qualify as airguns. But we have upgrade AEGs that could probably qualify, too: it'd be a quagmire to prosecute the average owner.
Old August 1st, 2008, 00:34   #58
LouisZimmerman

Quote:
I believe this to be media bias, although it may be un-intentional... ;->
IMNSHO, handguns have never been perceived as belonging in public hands (except by gun owners.) It is far easier for J. Q. Public to accept private ownership of long guns, as they are legitimate for use in hunting and pest control. I believe that this is at least in part due to Canada NOT having a recent history of private side-arm carry, which is unfortunate: there are many instances where a side-arm is much preferable for predator or pest control. If one has a predator/pest situation on the farm for instance, it's much easier to carry a side arm when doing one's chores than it is a rifle (although it must be admitted that for some varmints, such as coyotes, a long-range weapon is a must).
(Deep Breath)
As a result, handguns are seen as anti-personnel weapons only, and therefore the 'most evil' of all firearms. (This and the ease with which they can be concealed.) If one wants to elevate public concern, one mentions handgun(s).
(Pre-post edit: after re-reading your post, I too now wonder why the 'military weapons' thing didn't come up. Perhaps the law enforcement report did not contain synonyms that were recognized by the media?)
Louis

The above are just my opinions. I am not in journalism or law enforcement, nor do I play such roles on television.
LouisZimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 02:05   #59
CanKam

Send a message via MSN to CanKam
Keep your Airsoft launchers locked but not loaded, and be sure you don't masturbate for awhile, just incase.

We never know how odd a police raid can be...

Key quote:
Relax and smell the roses
(this being metaphorical for you pansies out there)
CanKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 02:33   #60
Dirtbag

one quick point

It was a CUSTOMS seizure not police, this is not firearms or police event this is customs catching people breaking their import license. It has nothing to do with anything else, it could have been sheet metal, but you don't hear that in the news.
Dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General