Replicas siezed in York Region

:

General

Old February 28th, 2007, 19:04   #31
KaOz

Send a message via MSN to KaOz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naerah View Post
that link just closed my browser twice in as row(well netscape... didnt tried with IE yet)
Eeeww... netscape/IE... FIREFOX baby! Yeah!

KaOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 19:07   #32
Greylocks

Full text, even where to go to see the stuff seized and the trial. Is anyone local curious enough?
4300 Steeles is Pacific Mall, so it's not rocket science to figure out the rest.

GUNS AND GANGS INTELLIGENCE UNIT SEIZES 60 REPLICA FIREARMS IN MARKHAM

Great work by officers working out of the York Regional Police #5 District Headquarters and the Guns and Gangs Intelligence Unit, in partnership with the Provincial Weapons Enforcement Unit and investigators from the Canada Border Services Agency, has resulted in the seizure of 60 replica firearms from a retail store and two residences in the Town of Markham.

During the afternoon of Thursday, February 22, 2007, and into the early morning hours of Friday, February 23, 2007, investigators executed Criminal Code search warrants at two residences located on Prince Regent Street and Frisby Court and at a business located at 4300 Steeles Avenue East. The warrants were sought after information gained in an investigation revealed that replica firearms defined as prohibited devices by the Criminal Code, were being imported, possessed and sold at a Markham business. As a result, officers seized the 60 replica firearms including a variety of handguns and rifles of various makes and models.

CHARGED: Kwok Cheung PONG, 32, of Markham;� Kelvin CHEUNG, 29, of Markham; Yui Chung KWOK, 27, of Richmond Hill; CHARGES INCLUDE: Possession of a Prohibited Device, Unauthorized Transfer of a Prohibited Device, Import Unauthorized Prohibited Device.

All three accused have been released from custody and are scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice in Newmarket on March 30, 2007.

The Criminal Code of Canada defines a prohibited device as “any component or part of a weapon, or any accessory for use with a weapon, that is prescribed to be a prohibited device, a handgun barrel that is equal to or less than 105 mm in length, but does not include any such handgun barrel that is prescribed, where the handgun barrel is for use in international sporting competitions governed by the rules of the International Shooting Union, a device or contrivance designed or intended to muffle or stop the sound or report of a firearm, a cartridge magazine that is prescribed to be a prohibited device or a replica firearm.”

Members of the York Regional Police Guns and Gangs Intelligence Unit will be available to update media on the investigation and provide a display of the seized replica firearms at a press conference Thursday, March 1, 2007, at 2:30 p.m. at the #5 District Headquarters, located at 8700 McCowan Road in
the Town of Markham.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the York Regional Police Guns and Gangs Intelligence Unit at 1-866-876-5423, ext. 7847, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 19:07   #33
Kusiami
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Kusiami Send a message via MSN to Kusiami Send a message via Yahoo to Kusiami
The problem here are the fucking idiot punks, not airsoft. Why can't those in authority SEE that?

This upsets me to no goddamn end!
Kusiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 19:12   #34
Naerah

Send a message via ICQ to Naerah Send a message via MSN to Naerah
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaOz View Post
Eeeww... netscape/IE... FIREFOX baby! Yeah!
found out its the lycos search popup that open when you get in the site that crashed netscape, IE works fine and Firefox is just an advanced version of netscape made by the same compagny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusiami View Post
The problem here are the fucking idiot punks, not airsoft. Why can't those in authority SEE that?

3 guys importing without liscence ( on purpose to sell ) is more likely the reason. In this case , they were selling on the black market.

Last edited by Naerah; February 28th, 2007 at 19:20..
Naerah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 19:12   #35
Greylocks

Quote:

The problem here is 3 guys who had a STORE and did not follow the laws.

(Oh, right, they'd never get caught either because nobody saw them... my bad)
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 19:13   #36
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
Quote:
What steps must we take to make sure our sport stays alive and we don't get personal seizures or arrests? Who or whom do we need to speak to regarding this?
First of all we all continue to behave and promote safe and responsible play, as we always have as a community. Second, we assess where this is going, with input from people who know what is going on. If the government is committed to a new course of action on this, or is indeed, just enforcing import rules, we need to know that. Lastly we have to discuss (calmly) the long term implications for us as players, if indeed this is a crackdown that will affect our access to a supply of airsoft guns, and what it means for new players coming into the sport trying to find airsoft guns to play with. At the moment there is not enough information to really assess what is happening to react yet.

But I do know a registry won't assuage CBSA and won't change the law that is currently on the books. Thats the problem with occupying a grey area in law - some people will see more white than black and others will see more black than white. And if you push too hard, you end up with a solid color you never wanted to see.
Old February 28th, 2007, 19:13   #37
mcguyver

Quote:

Why? Kimver Gill was one psyhco with a Glock, a Storm and shotty. He killed 1 person in a school. Now, the Fiberals have instituted a ban on semi-autos as a party platform item. One guy with legal guns. Marc Lepine brought about the last Firearms Act with it's Draconian restrictions. One man with a Mini-14.

What makes you think that 1 kid who gets shot by a cop because he had a KSC Glock would not lead to an immediate ban on all replicas for everyone. It has happened in the past. IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN!!!

Those in authority believe the public at large will accept results, any results. As long as any gun is taken off the streets, they see victory.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 19:14   #38
KaOz

Quote:

Hello,

I am considering calling the telephone number and requesting to speak with someone of authority there - it would be at least a nice editorial piece for Airsoft Xtreme Magazine (which I plan on being a contributor now).

I want to share "our side" of the story and discuss things.

Your thoughts on this?

Feel free to post questions that you think I should ask - I plan on limiting them to 10 maximum. I do not want to step on anyone's toes, so this is why I am asking ahead of time - no surprises.

If people on this forum feel that I should not mention ASC at all... or that we play, etc. please state so.

Unfortunately, I will not be back in Tdot until the end of March so I am not able to attend the Press Conference.

Cheers,
KaOz.

Old February 28th, 2007, 19:16   #39
mcguyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
At the moment there is not enough information to really assess what is happening to react yet.

Do we wait until the axe has fallen to assess whether the axe has indeed fallen? Or do we look to see that an axe may fall and act to avoid it?

That is the basic question. Apathy is worse than the axe itself.

Old February 28th, 2007, 19:19   #40
Armyissue
Administrator of Pants

Send a message via MSN to Armyissue Send a message via Skype™ to Armyissue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancorp View Post
I think I know who it might be:

http://mpdvd.tripod.com/

This guy told me he brought shipments of cheap airsoft stuff without a licence, contradictiong my advice, telling me since they shoot under 407fps its all good. Oh well. Never got my $80 Cyma AK anyway... oh well.

And yes, he is in Markham

Cheers,
Alex

The people named in the charges are not the same person operating the link you posted. It is not him.
Armyissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 19:22   #41
Scarecrow
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Scarecrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
Do we wait until the axe has fallen to assess whether the axe has indeed fallen? Or do we look to see that an axe may fall and act to avoid it?

That is the basic question. Apathy is worse than the axe itself.
I know, the urge to do something and the need to do it is apparent, but, if you don't have a plan with a set of goals all you create is friction and heat and no traction.

I think the press conference that will be held tomorrow may give us some insight as to what led police to make this raid and what authority and legal grounds they're citing for it. Once we know that, we'll have an idea from what side we've been swiped here and can react to it. Right now there is simply nothing we can do but watch.
Old February 28th, 2007, 19:25   #42
Naerah

Send a message via ICQ to Naerah Send a message via MSN to Naerah
Quote:
Hello,

I am considering calling the telephone number and requesting to speak with someone of authority there - it would be at least a nice editorial piece for Airsoft Xtreme Magazine (which I plan on being a contributor now).

I want to share "our side" of the story and discuss things.

Your thoughts on this?

Feel free to post questions that you think I should ask - I plan on limiting them to 10 maximum. I do not want to step on anyone's toes, so this is why I am asking ahead of time - no surprises.

If people on this forum feel that I should not mention ASC at all... or that we play, etc. please state so.

Unfortunately, I will not be back in Tdot until the end of March so I am not able to attend the Press Conference.

Cheers,
KaOz.
go ahead, but dont say any names or site adresses.
Old February 28th, 2007, 19:27   #43
KaOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
I know, the urge to do something and the need to do it is apparent, but, if you don't have a plan with a set of goals all you create is friction and heat and no traction.

I think the press conference that will be held tomorrow may give us some insight as to what led police to make this raid and what authority and legal grounds they're citing for it. Once we know that, we'll have an idea from what side we've been swiped here and can react to it. Right now there is simply nothing we can do but watch.
Can someone please keep me posted on this - i.e. press conference as I am here in Boston and would not be able to get any information from it at all - thank you in advance.

You make a very good point and we shall wait and see.

Back to my questions re: editorial piece + questions for the authority figures regarding airsoft and well, what is to happen... please post or PM me. Thank you.

Cheers,
KaOz.

Old February 28th, 2007, 19:28   #44
mcguyver

A member of our local forum has already been in contact with the NRA. We hoping this will lead to an ally in a fight who's used to fighting the Feds on these very issues.

You'll have to excuse me, but some of us are not really willing any longer to sit by and watch all unfold like a deer caught in the headlights. The end of airsoft may not be now, but it's not as far away as all the ostriches think it is.

And yes, it is a big deal when the founders of a national forum are shut down.

Old February 28th, 2007, 19:29   #45
thorvald

Go ahead and call but the cops will just give the same old song and dance that they can't tell the difference between a replica and a real gun...hence they should all be taken off the streets.

The bloody idiots will just not get it through their heads... if someone is brandishing a weapon in public, especially while committing or attempting to commit a crime, they deserve the maximum response from the law.

The cop should not be trying to determine if it's real or not. Assume it's real. There is no difference. They just became a criminal for gods sakes, don't be nice!

If an "innocent kid" is waving a toy gun in public, he's obviously not innocent and needs to learn a life lesson really quickly courtesy of the ETF!

But as per usual, punish the majority for one persons mistake.

Ah will it ever end, next we'll be banning knives like they are trying to do in the UK.
thorvald is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General