:

General

Closed Thread

Old August 23rd, 2009, 15:01   #391
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
Funny, when I put on gear, I don't emulate or replicate any soldier in any army from any country in the world. I seek no impression at all. I wear gear that works, is durable, can carry the minimum equipment and supplies need to keep me self-sufficient.

This means that I'm not running back to my vehicle for batteries, BBs, food, water, mags, tools, radio, whatever. I'm not a burden to my team members because I'm unable to fight, or sustain myself, or cover my own PPE needs.

This means that I'm effective at my role, or even more importantly, that someone doesn't have to lose out on the game by babysitting my ass out there.

Now, will a guy in street clothes be able to carry water, BBs, batteries, mags, food, tools, proper PPE and still be concealable enough to not give himself away or his team? And by giving himself away unnecessarily, does this mean he becomes a casuality and reduces his effectiveness, or requires a teammate to tend to him (like in a medic role)?

If all you play is indoor or outdoor scrims at a speedball field, these are non-issues really. But is that airsoft? No, it is 6mm paintball.

This goes to the heart of the "airsoft tourism" that brought about this thread in the first place. It is nobody's job to "mentor" anyone. You show up to a field, ready to go and be responsible for yourself, or find a different hobby. It's really that simple.

So basically what you are saying is that if they don't show up to your specifications they ruin your experiance. I can understand that, its basically the same thing as not wanting someone to be in a theatre and have someone talk through the whole film. But saying that showing up with a clear gun and jeans is not airsoft is absurd. Thats like saying if everyone doesn't get a large popcorn and Pepsi when they go to the movies like me, then they arn't really watching a movie. Look I understand that organizers want to create a certain look or feel for their game, and thats fine. But saying that if someone doesn't live up to your ideas of what airsoft is are not playing right is just wrong.
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif
Old August 23rd, 2009, 15:08   #392
mcguyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by notom View Post
So basically what you are saying is that if they don't show up to your specifications they ruin your experiance. I can understand that, its basically the same thing as not wanting someone to be in a theatre and have someone talk through the whole film. But saying that showing up with a clear gun and jeans is not airsoft is absurd. Thats like saying if everyone doesn't get a large popcorn and Pepsi when they go to the movies like me, then they arn't really watching a movie. Look I understand that organizers want to create a certain look or feel for their game, and thats fine. But saying that if someone doesn't live up to your ideas of what airsoft is are not playing right is just wrong.

You obviously don't get it. Read it again.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 15:11   #393
Skladfin

kids,

chill
Old August 23rd, 2009, 15:52   #394
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

[QUOTE=mcguyver;1050947]This means that I'm effective at my role, or even more importantly, that someone doesn't have to lose out on the game by babysitting my ass out there.
If all you play is indoor or outdoor scrims at a speedball field, these are non-issues really. But is that airsoft? No, it is 6mm paintball.[QUOTE]

I did read it again just to be sure. Unless I'm taking what you've said out of context, from what I read it says so someone doesn't loose out on the game because of you. So when they don't show up the way you expect it ruins your experince. And why arn't scrims really airsoft?
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif
Old August 23rd, 2009, 16:21   #395
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
Arguing opinions is very productive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 16:36   #396
Malice Army

the death of airsoft will come from peoples uncomprimising attitudes that they are right and everyone that disagree's with their opinions are wrong.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 16:40   #397
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice Army View Post
the death of airsoft will come from peoples uncomprimising attitudes that they are right and everyone that disagree's with their opinions are wrong.
There will be no "death of airsoft" for fucks sake. Will you people stop saying this stupid phrase? Airsoft is not going to die. Its just changing, much to some(most) peoples dismay.

Quote:
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 18:08   #398
kalnaren

Wow. I love how some people think it's all about them. Like they have a magic fucking right to play airsoft at any game regardless of what kit they have.

Fuck off.

The host is the one that determines the standards. If I wanted to host a game requiring everyone to be in proper BDU's, no highcaps, etc., I can do it, and it's your privledge to play there. Not your fucking right. How dare you expect the host, and the rest of the players that actually meet the requirements, to lower their standards to accommodate you. Some games have low standards. Most don't. Either meet the standards or don't play.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
Old August 23rd, 2009, 18:22   #399
Malice Army

Thats right. And my games DON'T have kit restrictions, DON'T have uniform restrictions, etc. The ONLY standards are a good attitude and RESPECT for other players , and thats my right !!!! If you don't like it , as you said Kal... F off and don't come out.
I DON'T PRESUME TO TELL PEOPLE HOW TO HAVE FUN.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 18:39   #400
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Thats fine and all, but don't expect everyone to be as liberal as you are with your game setups and guidelines. Getting pissy because others choose to keep a certain standard for their games is just childish and immature.

Quote:
Old August 23rd, 2009, 19:04   #401
The Saint

This thread has basically ran its course for civilized discussion.

The final lesson is and has always been, one of the few solid truths:

People will run and attend games that suit their taste. People will make investment in airsoft in a similar manner.

However, people who think they've got a right to call running around with clear guns and civies "true airsoft", time for a history lesson. Airsoft was born out of and sustains itself through recreational military and paramilitary simulation and re-enactment. That's why the guns look so realistic and that's why people dress up.

It's not fair when milsimmers completely disregard clear guns and civies, but then again, it's just as unfair when people with clear guns and civies consider themselves to be equal in airsoft to those who have made greater investment. The reality is that the activity we know as airsoft, from day one, is predominantly (though not solely) defined by its pursuit for realism, and that realism requires investment.

Airsoft may not be black and white, but there is a scale to it: casual and minimum investment versus dedication and continuous investment. It's not meant to be the basis for discrimination, it's simply different realism strokes for different realism-driven folks. Just don't think that simply because you're less realism-driven, all of airsoft should follow the lowest common denominator. On the flip slide, the more serious types should be using positive encouragement to get people to increase their investment, not talking down.

And yes, even the folks in civies with clear guns are realism-driven, investments aside. Before the minimum-investment crowd get up in arms about what I said, think about this: if it's all just a ranged-tag game, why aren't you (still) playing paintball or laser tag? Why are you using airguns that look so real that they require a clear receiver to avoid being classified as replica firearms?

Now everyone shut up and go (responsibly) play some airsoft.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General