Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Vehicles in airsoft and milsim

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old March 12th, 2012, 14:57   #61
scottyfox

Forget Deuces and inflatable tanks, where the fuck did you get a HEMTT??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
Vehicles make the game. If you are playing a long sim, vehicles help keep people moving when they get tired.

Some pics from our last milsim, here in Calgary.

scottyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 21:39   #62
Kimbo
formerly pivot

Actually that's a PLS (his big brother with an extra axle). The HEMTT was back in the shop. woo hoo.

One of our team mates uses the Oshkosh's for fire fighting, but decided he needed to build an 8 pack for it. It's pretty cool to have driving around the field.

We'll have it out again for one of our summer milsims.
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:40   #63
Aper
E-30

A fucking PLS in an airsoft game O_O .... someone has too much money :/

West Coast EOD Supporter. // Bang One, Bang Em All ! // In war, it's not who's right, but who's left.

Last edited by Aper; March 14th, 2012 at 12:47..
Aper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 03:45   #64
HackD

A little more down to earth in terms of scale of things for airsoft.. I can't help but think that this little buggy sold out of Princess Auto would be the absolute cat's arse for recon or resupply scenarios, with perhaps an AEG mounted on a gimble off of the front end or roll bar, in an approximation of the SF dune buggys used in both Desert Storm, and in Afghanistan at the beginning of the war... or perhaps i'm just a big kid at heart who's never gonna grow up.

150cc, 9.9 rwhp, common Honda GY6A based scooter motor with a reverse gear, load rating at about 400 lbs, and good for about 39 mph maxxed out. There is a governer kit available for it that would limit the top-end to about 20 mph. A quick redo of the red bodywork with Krylon paint and a set of seat-covers to fix that high observability issue, and addition of some larger running lights for safety, and it is definitely an alternative to a Gator, at significantly less cost.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...-150cc-Go-Kart

Last edited by HackD; March 16th, 2012 at 04:11..
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 02:46   #65
CrAzy AziAn

I wonder, what would be the Ontario driving laws to one of these? I wouldn't mind that as my first car if its qualified as a limited speed vehicle. Repaint it, mount a M60 or something and you got a sick DPV

EDIT I found the Ministry website:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/orv.shtml

Last edited by CrAzy AziAn; March 20th, 2012 at 02:57..
CrAzy AziAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 19:39   #66
HackD

At the top of the list, would be the requirement for a valid, manufactured issued, government approved VIN. Issuance, and approval of VIN's into the admissable Federal MOT VIN database requires intensive vehicle testing, including destructive crash tests, as well as minimum collision and safety requirements (crumple zones, lighting, signalling devices etc etc etc).. in short, no way in heck, the conventional way.

Years ago, you might have been able to do it as a 'homebuilt' but the government shut that down long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzy AziAn View Post
I wonder, what would be the Ontario driving laws to one of these? I wouldn't mind that as my first car if its qualified as a limited speed vehicle. Repaint it, mount a M60 or something and you got a sick DPV

EDIT I found the Ministry website:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/orv.shtml

Last edited by HackD; April 26th, 2012 at 16:02..
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:09   #67
THE BOSS
Bearer of the blood Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
Vehicles make the game. If you are playing a long sim, vehicles help keep people moving when they get tired.

Some pics from our last milsim, here in Calgary.

Question for you - Oh Rich one with great love to details and equipment...

where did you get that inflatable russian tank - and how much was it..

I was looking for similar things once as an idea for a special game I was planning on doing one day...

thanks a lot for the help

Boss
THE BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 22:41   #68
Kimbo
formerly pivot

The guys at Imperial Airsoft here in calgary have the guys contact name. We got it on loan from them.
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 15:35   #69
HackD

In all seriousness, and taking it from a slightly different angle - how do hosts feel about the use of ATV's / off-road vehicles, not so much as a matter of being used in game-play, but in situations of getting from point A. to point B. ex. from the safe area, to where the action is at/particular field being used?

From a personal perspective - i've just been handed bad news by my orthopedic surgeon - I can expect to be FUBAR for the next year after having undergone two hip replacements in one year. This doesn't, and hasn't stopped me from limited participation in the name of 'Redneck Physio' (balance, gait, weight bearing) in events - not much involved in tottering from tree to tree, and hiding behind them to shoot - but the problem is in handling a body equipment load plus a rifle, plus two canes to keep me from toppling over, while on the move from point A. to point B.

So far, the field host that i've been attending, has gone out of his way to make a Kobota UTV available to assist with this - but i feel like i'm impinging on his good will to do this for long.

I've got the handicapped parking sticker, and i've got enough funds in bank to pickup a smaller 4-wheeled ATV - the question would be, whether this is money wasted and effort squandered to participate, if hosts would say no.

What say the hosts?
Old May 11th, 2012, 13:59   #70
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

What about Helicopters?

GMSOG Airsoft: Helicopter Minigun Strafer 1080p HDDSLR Airsoft Action: OP Seoul Survivor - YouTube
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:46   #71
kullwarrior

regular helicopters should be fine for games, however I do have concern for turbine ones where there's an airintake. Won't see this too common in Western World, but in Russia, MI24 do have air intake to help gives it its speed boast. Speaking of Mi24, There is a Mi-24V in excellent good working condition for sale by Russian Air force...(it's going to be converted to civilian) anyone wants to buy it? Working Mi24 range from 2-16 million USD.
Here's some just for you to dream at:
http://www.aviatorsale.com/pix8538x1/
http://www.aircraftbargains.com/ad/ad4118.asp

Last edited by kullwarrior; May 12th, 2012 at 03:49..
kullwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 00:21   #72
HackD

Quote:
Originally Posted by slink182 View Post
Would give stability to the minibike. My concerns, though, would be safety and liability. A 2-wheeler, sans an approved helmet, in not always hospitable terrain or road conditions, in a milsim game, in full gear, is a recipe for potentially serious injury. 3-wheels would provide needed stability and could mitigate some of those issues.

Personally, I'd love to see a Ural fielded. With an MG mount.
Dead-Thread Revival.

I had opportunity to try riding a two wheeler on field recently - in dry weather it was great for the low-speeds demanded of it, and had no issues whatsoever, safety wise. However, once a rain storm hit, it was a total train-wreck. If it had stayed dry, or i had knobbies on the scooter, all would have been good.

It wasn't a CT70 though, so not optimal. When i loaded up a bike in the truck, i threw a street-tired C70 (the CT70's bigger wheeled, street-tired scooter cousin using the same motor (I seem to collect these things)) instead of my CT70 which is kind of trapped in the living room (long story). Note, gooey clay mud, and flat tread does not make for one of my more brilliant moments, and is responsible for the latest remodeling of my M4. I was wearing my PAGST.. so no further drain-bamage then that which has been sustained earlier in life. Safety first.

The power output is suitable enough, and I've got another CT70 basket-case in the garage that i'm going to build up perhaps a limited-lean mini-sidecar field rig or a rudy-goldberged tadpole trike setup over the winter, suitably Camo'd for the field, of course. That would handle average conditions safely, wet or dry. I should have enough there to make for an interesting engineering project, and a giggle to play with.

Be nice to have an ATV, APC, SUV or Jeep to play with for airsoft, but my toyota is just too new (for a few years yet) to be a 'technical', so i just ain't going there You work with what you got, and that just happens to be a goodly pile of parts in the garage.

Wish me luck, or as few as possible broken bones, whichever comes first.

Last edited by HackD; August 28th, 2012 at 01:16..
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:48   #73
Cpt- Lovegrove

its funny that this got revived when it did, i am converting my daily driver Gmc Sonoma it will be getting painted OD with house paint, the cap is going to get cut for a turret and some internal mods for carring mags in teh cab and extra guns, it will be in its first game in october at the picton complex the turret will mount a .50 (after i build one)
Cpt- Lovegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2012, 10:20   #74
horto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt- Lovegrove View Post
its funny that this got revived when it did, i am converting my daily driver Gmc Sonoma it will be getting painted OD with house paint, the cap is going to get cut for a turret and some internal mods for carring mags in teh cab and extra guns, it will be in its first game in october at the picton complex the turret will mount a .50 (after i build one)
Some feedback from our build:
- Consider keeping the truck street legal. Having to trailer it around everywhere kind of sucks, and it's expensive. (Renting u-haul trailer every time)
- A sawzall works great to cut the roof out, but leaves razor blade edges; make sure you file them down and pad them with pvc tubing or pool noodles.
- With a hole in the roof, storing the truck outside when not gaming it (unless you have a barn/garage) is also a bit annoying.
- Surprisingly, krylon paint worked fairly well for us. It even holds up in the rain!
Old August 28th, 2012, 18:16   #75
Cpt- Lovegrove

the whole will be cut into a fiberglass cap on the back of the truck, not the cab, so if water gets in its just the bed of the truck, no mod i will be doing will make it not street legal
Cpt- Lovegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures