Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Movies/Video Games/Sci-fi
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Colt XSE from "Mr. & Mrs. Smith"

:

Movies/Video Games/Sci-fi

Old April 14th, 2008, 06:31   #1
XON50

Colt XSE from "Mr. & Mrs. Smith"

hey everyone

i've decided to undertake a project gun and ever since i saw this film, i wanted an airsoft version of this 1911 pistol.

heres a pic of the gun in the movie:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Mr._%26_Mrs._Smith (just scroll down)

so, i was thinking of just buying a colt 1911 and maybe sanding it down for the polished silver look and changing the grips.

i was wondering if there are any tips you guys can offer me. any help is appreciated since this will be my first ever project gun, thanks
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:44   #2
Deftonius
Troll

Send a message via ICQ to Deftonius Send a message via AIM to Deftonius Send a message via MSN to Deftonius
Before you do any sanding...

Take a look at what Western Arms has available:

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper...=WA%20Handguns

You'll find a lot of options there, not exactly the same pistol, but many that look just like it.
Deftonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:07   #3
Gunk
In his Trunk!

Send a message via MSN to Gunk
How does Jane Smith cook in that oven?

"War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Numenor, and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Gunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:09   #4
XON50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deftonius View Post
Before you do any sanding...

Take a look at what Western Arms has available:

http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper...=WA%20Handguns

You'll find a lot of options there, not exactly the same pistol, but many that look just like it.
thats a good idea as i have found one that looks almost identical to the one John Smith uses and Marksman says he is able to get it for me.

Now here is my dilemma. i need a threaded barrel for the silencer and there arent many options for a threaded barrel when it comes to WA guns as i have been told. so any ideas as where i could find one?
Old April 16th, 2008, 12:46   #5
RacingManiac

You could also potentially get a KWA or KJW and strip of its paint and get someone to engrave it....with KJW you can also replace the barrel with one of the threaded one made for TM.....

Alternatively a TM with a silver metal kit will work too....

My Arnies' Album
My PBase Album
Custom Pistol Whore...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 13:04   #6
XON50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
You could also potentially get a KWA or KJW and strip of its paint and get someone to engrave it....with KJW you can also replace the barrel with one of the threaded one made for TM.....

Alternatively a TM with a silver metal kit will work too....
thanks RacingManiac, that was very helpful. i think i'll just purchase a KJW or TM 1911 and do the paint stripping.

now any ideas on what type of paint remover to use that wont damage the metal or plastic on the gun?
Old April 16th, 2008, 13:27   #7
bbchiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by XON50 View Post
thanks RacingManiac, that was very helpful. i think i'll just purchase a KJW or TM 1911 and do the paint stripping.

now any ideas on what type of paint remover to use that wont damage the metal or plastic on the gun?
yea use "circa 1850", it works wonders, I used it when i was building my custom sport bike, it bubbles the heaviest paint off in seconds. then you can pretty well use a dremel and polish it. use a #6 polish. i would try straight polishing it first and then if you dont get the desired finish you could sand it, but airsoft metal finishes do not really have any pitting, so you shouldnt have to sand. DO NOT SAND unless you have to. if you do sand use a 2000+ grit paper. be careful with that paint stripper. it is powerful shit.

EDIT: i have never used it on plastic. so thats my disclaimer. as i say do not get it on anything unless you want that paint gone.

Last edited by bbchiller; April 16th, 2008 at 13:35..
bbchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 13:42   #8
W0lf

Best of luck with your XSE project. I never realised how many different guns were in that movie. The Custom M1911A1 with C-More sight and muzzlebrake and the tricked out M14 look dope.

"If I don't know it, Google does."
W0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 17:53   #9
RacingManiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by XON50 View Post

Before you do any stripping you'll need to strip the gun in parts anyhow. So no real worry as to anything would affect the plastic parts. I'd personally sand blast the paint and refinish the piece with sand paper, thats what worked for me in the past in terms of turning something silvery. But the paint stripper will work as well. One thing of note though is that with the cheaper 1911 like KJW, the front and rear sight are cast into the slide, so unless you masked it carefully or planned to repaint the sights, their paint will come off too, and the low profile GI sight being silver will be mighty hard to see....

With the pot metal of these guns too, you might want to consider respraying them with clearcoat after to prevent any tarnishing....

My Arnies' Album
My PBase Album
Custom Pistol Whore...
Old April 16th, 2008, 20:26   #10
jamesaddiction

Right now, I am using the WE 1911 with a silver slide and frame which I sanded myself and it looks so sexy :P

This is another pistol you should consider as well. I have heard that TM parts fit in this gun as well, but don't quote me on that. Some people argue that the WE 1911's are not great. Well, I have had mine for about 4 months now, and have not had any problems with it.

Thats my $0.02
jamesaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:47   #11
XON50

thanks for all the advice, very helpful.

well the project is under way. i have ordered a full metal KJW 1911 and since its a clone of the TM model (also on RacingManiac's advice) i will be picking up a threaded barrel for it. hopefully this works out and i will try to take some pics of the project as i go.
Old April 18th, 2008, 18:38   #12
RacingManiac

keep us posted, I think it should be interesting...

My Arnies' Album
My PBase Album
Custom Pistol Whore...
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Movies/Video Games/Sci-fi