Becoming an airsoft guntech/smith.

:

Doctor's Corner

Old May 4th, 2006, 22:31   #16
JohnnyDo

Send a message via MSN to JohnnyDo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Get some fishing tackle boxes. The 1.5'x 1' flat ones made by Plano with about 30 compartments are ideal for storing GBB and AEG bits. When I had better discipline I used to assign one box to one gun project. Plano boxes cost about $3 each so they're cheap for that kind of thing.

If you work on several projects at the same time, it's easy to confuse parts. Repair customers might not notice that their mechbox screws are being traded around, but it sucks when you get aftermarket components mixed up and you have to try to figure out who owns what.

Also, write down your customers contact info on a slip of paper and stick it in a free compartment. It's easy to forget details about the job or customer when you have to wait for replacement parts to arrive from HK. Having the job chit in the parts box also saves you from having to figure out which email/pm pertains to which armalite out of 3 partially disassembled crapalites in your shop 3 wks after you disassembled them and ordered parts. Throw in the confusion of messages sent through PM, email, phone identified by callsign or real name and you get into an snarl of identity-message nonsense.
This is about the best sound advice anyone can give a person doing any tpe of repair work. Anyone reading this shoudl re-read the above and follow it to a letter as it's soo easy to get stuff mixed up and is a pain to sort out again.
JohnnyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 23:18   #17
MadMax
Delierious Designer of Dastardly Detonations

Location: in the dark recesses of some metal chip filled machine shop
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Get some fishing tackle boxes. The 1.5'x 1' flat ones made by Plano with about 30 compartments are ideal for storing GBB and AEG bits. When I had better discipline I used to assign one box to one gun project. Plano boxes cost about $3 each so they're cheap for that kind of thing.

If you work on several projects at the same time, it's easy to confuse parts. Repair customers might not notice that their mechbox screws are being traded around, but it sucks when you get aftermarket components mixed up and you have to try to figure out who owns what.

Also, write down your customers contact info on a slip of paper and stick it in a free compartment. It's easy to forget details about the job or customer when you have to wait for replacement parts to arrive from HK. Having the job chit in the parts box also saves you from having to figure out which email/pm pertains to which armalite out of 3 partially disassembled crapalites in your shop 3 wks after you disassembled them and ordered parts. Throw in the confusion of messages sent through PM, email, phone identified by callsign or real name and you get into an snarl of identity-message nonsense.
This is about the best sound advice anyone can give a person doing any tpe of repair work. Anyone reading this shoudl re-read the above and follow it to a letter as it's soo easy to get stuff mixed up and is a pain to sort out again.
Haha, we're only wise because we've had to reverse unintentional ASG transplants. Nothing more annoying than putting your own gun back together and finding spare parts on the bench that are someone else's.

MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:13   #18
JohnnyDo

*psst* that's why god invented spare parts bins hehehe

but don't tell anyone else that
Old May 7th, 2006, 20:25   #19
CalvinTat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Solo
as long as to don't go to crazy iBooks are ok. They have very good internal feng shui. Ipods are scarier IMO.
I agree
I took apart my iPod mini a few months ago to see what was causing the click wheel to not function properly. It turns out the top and bottom, the white parts, are plastic and held on by double sided tape. On top of this, the only thing holding the battery, hard drive, screen in place is a piece of metal that pushes against your Ipod Mini case.
The stupid click wheel is slid into place, and when I removed mine, I scrapped a good chunk out of my middle button cause I didn't depress it enough to clear the casing.

Key to any trouble shooting: Well lit room, organization, magnetic jeweler's screw drivers.

If practice makes perfect, yet nobody is perfect... Why practice?
CalvinTat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 20:30   #20
Mantelope
Scotty aka harleyb

Send a message via AIM to Mantelope Send a message via MSN to Mantelope
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinTat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Solo
as long as to don't go to crazy iBooks are ok. They have very good internal feng shui. Ipods are scarier IMO.
I agree
You guys have obviously never taken apart an iBook.
Mantelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 23:58   #21
Falcon_MB

Send a message via MSN to Falcon_MB
I'm sad... Lisa began this thread jack!!

Anyways... anyone else have any advice? links? Feed me knowledge!
Old May 8th, 2006, 00:49   #22
JohnnyDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_MB
I'm sad... Lisa began this thread jack!!

Anyways... anyone else have any advice? links? Feed me knowledge!
ahh that would be the first mistake. nobody can feed you knowledge .. you must aquire knowledge. This comes from experiance and reading. People can answer specific questions but they cannot just feed you all the info you need. If they could I'm sure a book.. a very thick book, would need to be made and read.
Old May 8th, 2006, 13:22   #23
Falcon_MB

[QUOTE=JohnnyDo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_MB
ahh that would be the first mistake. nobody can feed you knowledge .. you must aquire knowledge. This comes from experiance and reading. People can answer specific questions but they cannot just feed you all the info you need. If they could I'm sure a book.. a very thick book, would need to be made and read.
Err... what was the point of that comment? This thread is about getting useful links and advice so that I can aquire knowledge. I've probably spent a good 50+ hours no trolling forums, reading tech diagrams, walkthroughs, studying pictures and asking questions. What an assanine response that contributes nothing to the point of this thread.

I appreciate the guys at the beginning who gave some actual advice, and some good links to good information and from there I was able to go off and find a lot more info. The worthless comments just waste my time (except for the few that were actually funny and made me laugh.)
Old May 8th, 2006, 15:56   #24
JohnnyDo

I appologize, I didn't mean for it to come off as rude. I ment that people can answer specific questions you may have like what the best technique is to take apart a mechbox, or how to adjust the hopup, or even the best grease/lube to use. People cannot just write up a book on the spot to cover all the material that you would possibly need. I didn't write that last comment to get you upset or waste your time but to help answer your question. I have spent months reading forums and web site gathering bits and peices of knowledge here and there but you only really begin to understand it all once you get your hands dirty. This is when it all comes together and you *finally get it*.

There are some books/vids avaliable for you to buy which covers the basics. here are some links:

airsoft press
airsoft guide

I have purchased all of the above and must say they are very well done. I hope this is more helpdul for you. :salute:
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:16   #25
Falcon_MB

Thanks JohnnyDo, sorry for coming down on you. Another thread that questioned whether I'd ever been to a game or not (when I was asking for specific well thought out advice on upgrade parts) has really set me on edge with some people from ASC recently. Sometimes people on here have elitist attitudes (some not all) and I hate stupidity from people responding and seemingly treating you like you're a moron.

Anyways, thank you for the response JohnnyDo, I was very much considering buying those books/vids. In the next 2 weeks (once parts arrive) I will be stripping down and rebuilding two guns/mechboxes. I was also able to find a fairly experienced airsmith who is going to stand over my shoulder while I do the upgrade to make sure everything goes right.
Old May 9th, 2006, 10:27   #26
jackman

the most important thing to do is get a big white towel to work on, it stops things from rolling away and makes it easier to find small pieces that drop
jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:26   #27
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

One of those magnetic cups that mechanics use for bolts works great too for small bits that tend to roll/wander away.

I also tend to always line my screws up in order when working w/ a new mechbox, or plot them out on the table as if they were still in the mechbox, it makes reassembly a little easier.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner