Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

SUPREME COURT OF CANADA RULES. Is this is new news and how this affects us?

:

General

Closed Thread

Old November 20th, 2014, 20:39   #136
rc_p120

Send a message via MSN to rc_p120
Quote:
Originally Posted by podpharmer View Post
since when did something have to make sense for it to be law?

and anyone that thinks that a supreme court ruling has no affect should try and buy a non restricted firearm in Quebec and not register it. the law states its illegal to have a gun registry but because of the supreme court ruling you will still be charged for being in possession of an unregistered non restricted.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Welcome to the gun world where none of the laws make sense and it's all enforced with very harsh penalties. Let's hope it isn't enforced the same way for airsoft.

My archived Buy and Sell user ratings
Old November 20th, 2014, 20:44   #137
Memphishills

SUPREME COURT OF CANADA RULES. Is this is new news and how this affects us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_p120 View Post
Only if they were above 500fps. Now they are all firearms, airguns=firearms fullstop no mention of subcategories or grey areas, the SCC used pretty clear language. Let's hope the enforcement isn't the same as with firearms.

Wow. Wooooooow.

Literally nothing in that sentence is accurate.

Good job!

This is still the law:

The CCC still has this provision in place:

Criminal Code - R.S.C., 1985, c. C-46 (Section 84)

Marginal noteefinitions

[...]

(3) For the purposes of sections 91 to 95, 99 to 101, 103 to 107 and 117.03 of this Act and the provisions of the Firearms Act, the following weapons are deemed not to be firearms:

[...]

(d) any other barrelled weapon, where it is proved that the weapon is not designed or adapted to discharge

(i) a shot, bullet or other projectile at a muzzle velocity exceeding 152.4 m per second or at a muzzle energy exceeding 5.7 Joules, or

(ii) a shot, bullet or other projectile that is designed or adapted to attain a velocity exceeding 152.4 m per second or an energy exceeding 5.7 Joules.

[...]

The exemptions numbers above include things like transport rules. Our guns still fall under this provision. This provision doesn't say our guns aren't firearms, they just say they aren't firearms when sections 91 to 95, 99 to 101, 103 to 107 and 117.03 of this Act are being referenced.

This is a direct quote from the RCMP government site:

"These air guns are exempt from the specific safe storage, transportation and handling requirements set out in the regulations supporting the Firearms Act. However, the Criminal Code requires that reasonable precautions be taken to use, carry, handle, store, transport and ship them in a safe and secure manner."

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...me_air-eng.htm

THIS HASN'T CHANGED.

Last edited by Memphishills; November 20th, 2014 at 20:49..
Old November 20th, 2014, 20:57   #138
rc_p120

Send a message via MSN to rc_p120
Has that RCMP page been updated since the SCC ruling?

My archived Buy and Sell user ratings
Old November 20th, 2014, 21:02   #139
mcguyver

Quote:
It won't be. Nothing has changed. Nothing to update. Why is this so difficult to grasp? Stop being spoonfed bullshit, and read the law as posted above.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
Old November 20th, 2014, 21:15   #140
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
Why is this so difficult to grasp?
Syndrome of a down?

I already gave my guns away, I don't want to be associated with all you trouble makers. Does any of our retailers sell tinfoil hats?
Old November 20th, 2014, 21:25   #141
Memphishills

Quote:

It never will be. A ruling is not law. That is a fact. It is precedence. It will affect future cases where someone claims they weren't using a real gun while brandishing a firearm, air gun or not.

The CCC hasn't changed. The definitions haven't changed. The RCMP isn't enforcing anything new that didn't already exist.

For the love of God, please understand this.
Old November 20th, 2014, 21:41   #142
professionalnewguy

So basically slap a padlock on a duffle bag when travelling with your airsoft, and you should be good to go.
Old November 20th, 2014, 22:26   #143
Ricochet

Can we get the thread title changed?

"Supreme Court of Canada ruling, and how it changes nothing"
Old November 20th, 2014, 22:33   #144
Danke

I want to see goggles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruling.jpg (118.0 KB, 9 views)
Old November 20th, 2014, 23:12   #145
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

But we still have to use 5 round mags, right? LOL
Old November 20th, 2014, 23:14   #146
L473ncy

Quote:
Originally Posted by podpharmer View Post
while I agree with you that 214 without joule limit is an ambiguous limit let me ask you this

since when did something have to make sense for it to be law?
Let me ask you this, can you even physics?

Quote:
Only if they were above 500fps. Now they are all firearms, airguns=firearms fullstop no mention of subcategories or grey areas, the SCC used pretty clear language. Let's hope the enforcement isn't the same as with firearms.
OK. You got us, it's all a scam the sky really is falling. You have to give me your all of your guns, I'll take them off your hands for you, so your door doesn't get kicked down in the middle of the night by ERT in black SUV's with helicopters flying around everywhere. I'm serious.
Old November 21st, 2014, 00:36   #147
Cliffradical
butthurt for not having a user title

You mean to tell me that there's people who HAVEN'T been treating their Airsoft as firearms? APART from the retards I refused to sell guns to?

I for one am fine with all this.

The law on paper demonstrates that the sky is not falling, but if all of this scary confusion causes ball shrinkage and a mass exodus of half-way players, then the overall quality of the player base will improve, Cabelas et al will sell less scary half-guns to retarded parents of retarded children, and we can all slink back into the margins.

I think the real lesson to be learned from thread is:

If you are not currently and/ or have not been treating your Airsoft guns as fireams, you are a profound moron, get the fuck out of my sport.

Signed,

-An Adult

Edit:
And while I think trigger locks would be a mild (and absurd) inconvenience, I WILL do it if necessary, because I am an adult.

Edit 2:
This post should be read (partially) with jovial intent.

Last edited by Cliffradical; November 21st, 2014 at 00:46..
Old November 21st, 2014, 00:38   #148
Ricochet

I will consult the airsoft gods, and pray for guidance.
Old November 21st, 2014, 02:26   #149
J-Man19

Remember that time I started this topic in the AV section to prevent a sky is falling thread from exploding?

Old November 21st, 2014, 08:49   #150
Cameron SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphishills View Post
This is still the law:

The CCC still has this provision in place:

Criminal Code - R.S.C., 1985, c. C-46 (Section 84)

(3) For the purposes of sections 91 to 95, 99 to 101, 103 to 107 and 117.03 of this Act and the provisions of the Firearms Act, the following weapons are deemed not to be firearms:

(d) any other barrelled weapon, where it is proved that the weapon is not designed or adapted to discharge

(i) a shot, bullet or other projectile at a muzzle velocity exceeding 152.4 m per second or at a muzzle energy exceeding 5.7 Joules, or

(ii) a shot, bullet or other projectile that is designed or adapted to attain a velocity exceeding 152.4 m per second or an energy exceeding 5.7 Joules.

[...]

The exemptions numbers above include things like transport rules. Our guns still fall under this provision. This provision doesn't say our guns aren't firearms, they just say they aren't firearms when sections 91 to 95, 99 to 101, 103 to 107 and 117.03 of this Act are being referenced.

This is a direct quote from the RCMP government site:

"These air guns are exempt from the specific safe storage, transportation and handling requirements set out in the regulations supporting the Firearms Act. However, the Criminal Code requires that reasonable precautions be taken to use, carry, handle, store, transport and ship them in a safe and secure manner."

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...me_air-eng.htm

THIS HASN'T CHANGED.
In that the supreme court did not amend the ruling issued by the Ontario Court of Appeal in 2013, yes, nothing is new. And, after doing some more research, contrary to what I had previously indicated, in refusing to hear the appeal the ruling is NOT in effect throughout Canada, but remains in force in Ontario only. But you say nothing has changed since 2012. So what happened in 2012?

But here is another inaccurate quote from the RCMP website.

Quote:
Important Notice

Until further notice, due to ongoing litigation, Quebec residents are required to register non-restricted firearms with the Canadian Firearms Program.
Bill C-19 permanently amended the criminal code so that registering of non restricted firearms is not a requirement, and there is no section under the criminal code for which a person can be charged for having an unregistered firearm. Even if there was, there has been a continuously in force amnesty for unregistered non restricted firearms if you have a license. The amnesty has been in force for more than ten years, and its been more than 2 years since the long gun registry ended, and the RCMP are still telling Quebeckers they have to register their firearms.

You can not rely on information bulletins on an RCMP website as legal advice.

Yes, airsoft guns are exempt from the sections that you provided, AND the firearms act. Not in question. Here is something that airsoft guns are NOT exempt from.

Section 86. (1) Every person commits an offence who, without lawful excuse, uses, carries, handles, ships, transports or stores a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any ammunition or prohibited ammunition in a careless manner or without reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons.
Marginal note:Contravention of storage regulations, etc.

(2) Every person commits an offence who contravenes a regulation made under paragraph 117(h) of the Firearms Act respecting the storage, handling, transportation, shipping, display, advertising and mail-order sales of firearms and restricted weapons.

If airsoft firearms are not exempt from Section 86, what makes you think they are exempt from Section 87?

And where do you see magazines listed as exempt from the magazine restrictions? Section 84(3) only covers firearms.

Question as a newbie to the forum: The sky doesn't fall in the AV section? or is the assumption that if you are not AV you are under 18?
Closed ThreadTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General