Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Alternatives to vests?

:

Newbie Tank

Old July 21st, 2014, 19:12   #31
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

my belt rig is a minimal rig I run with my vest. If it gets too hot or I need to go super light weight, I can dump my chestrig and just run the belt... it has my pistol, 3 pistol mags and 2 rifle mags on it. For a lot of milsims that can hold out a reasonable amount of time, though nightfall was cool enough this year I didn't have to resort to it.

I ended up doing that for a skirmish this past weekend, running a drum and 2 mids.
Old July 21st, 2014, 21:22   #32
MattG666

Thank you for all the info so far! I will definitely check out the chest rigs and the belts.

I played for my second time yesterday and I can say for sure that I dont want to be lugging around all kinds of gear; I much prefer to be as mobile as possible and not drown in my own sweat (very humid yesterday)
MattG666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 21:25   #33
Sherbert85

Hate the cumbersome vests and plate carriers, too restrictive in movement. I use a Condor battle belt with the matching suspenders and carry everything I need. Cost me less than $200 to set up.
Sherbert85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 22:54   #34
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

I had a Condor Battle-belt, and although it was comfy it would twist and bunch. I bought a HSGI Sure-Grip, same style of product but much better. I don't need suspenders for it or worry about it bunching up. It's a few more dollars but I'm very happy I traded up.

I will say this though; I wear a battle belt and plate carrier, both are light-weight, slim, and fast. I can carry everything I need for 24 hours plus of endurance games, or easily cut down to skirmish. Anything hefty like water, Stanag mags, etc I prefer up on my shoulders, back, chest. I only like the lighter stuff on my hips for weight distribution. I assume at some point you'll want to carry additional ammo or hydration, etc, so you may think of some rudimentary webbing something as well if you're going to go bare-bones.

Last edited by Ricochet; July 21st, 2014 at 22:59..
Ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 23:35   #35
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

whatever you choose though, make sure you can carry water, one way or another. Do not take the field without having at least a bottle with you. My belt rig doesn't have it, but the field I was at is set up such that it's not a huge distance away from the safezone so I could get access to water. On top of that, I did lug my upper rig onto the field and left it in a safe spot so I could at least take a drink while respawning.

never leave water behind.
Old July 25th, 2014, 06:47   #36
The Mutt

For warmer game days and those lightweight low drag I tend to go minimal belt kit with dropleg, and if you have a decent hydrapack then you can throw extra mags in there as well as any other kit you may wish to carry.
The Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 01:24   #37
Bigload

As a new player, you can listen to advise others give, but please do yourself a favor and go to the store, and try things on. What works for others, does not mean it is 'the thing' for you.
Bigload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 04:01   #38
Nateman332

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs144 View Post
82 Pattern webbing or ALICE gear. Both are cheap, plentiful, and robust.
+1 on that. my 82 Pattern webbing cost me under $50 and it's much nicer than a vest IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nuts31 View Post
My only problem is that all my guns smell like mint toothpaste which kinda disturbs my family for some reason.
Nateman332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 09:15   #39
brock0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
whatever you choose though, make sure you can carry water, one way or another. Do not take the field without having at least a bottle with you. My belt rig doesn't have it, but the field I was at is set up such that it's not a huge distance away from the safezone so I could get access to water. On top of that, I did lug my upper rig onto the field and left it in a safe spot so I could at least take a drink while respawning.

never leave water behind.
Just wanted to emphasize this. The safezone at my regular field is also very far from the action. I've seen other players run into this problem - either not bringing water at all or leaving it where they can't get at it.

Bring 3x more water than you think you'll need and have some with you at all times. My chest rig doesn't have any room for water, and I don't have a hydration carrier (yet) so I carry around a water bottle in my dump pouch.
brock0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 13:58   #40
targetGspot

I run a molle drop leg. Doesn't get in the way, configure any way I want. Room for 2 m14 mag pouches, 2 pouches for my kc02 mags,(also fit small m16 mags) and a folding dump pouch all at once. Together with a decent belt and you're good to go. Sometimes i run with a drop leg pistol holster on the other side too.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank