Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

ARGG!!! PTW VS bolt action? Fair battle?...(Rant)

:

General

Old April 10th, 2011, 13:29   #1
highny

ARGG!!! PTW VS bolt action? Fair battle?...(Rant)

AHH!!! Yesterday I went out to a season opening game, it was a decent turn out with around 30 players. 10 of the 30 players was running a PTW, and the others were either G&G Max series or saw weapons like a L85 or LG36. I was the only one running a BA(of it's off classified BTW). Lucky for me, those 10 PTW guys weren't that great, they were more of a camping type...

It was a extremely annoying/difficult game for me with all those PTWs and SAW in the game. Half the time I was pin at 200 feet! LIKE WHAT THE F***!! At 200 feet, I was able to get a body shot whereas for a PTW that was a easy head shot... I miss those days where most people were running stock/walmart special guns...

I'm starting to feel that I need a PTW to be able to compete with the club I play... The sad part is; I feel that the $1000 I spent on my BA was a waste...

Now, I know some of you are going to tell me that BA should be a sneaky play style... But when they out shoot/out range you, it's very discouraging to sneak around enemy line and just to get shot at...

Does anyone out there feel the same way?... That BA are starting to fall off the chart of a decent weapon of choose?... Word of advice?...
highny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 13:39   #2
Slow
Loves Furries

This is the reason why people suggest getting an AEG before you spend your money on a Bolt Action.

If ASC were real life, there would be no Chuck Norris, only CDN_Stalker

MANITOBA IVAN
Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 13:40   #3
Amos

What bolt action do you have and what is it upgraded with?
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 13:42   #4
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

I bought a l96 play an hour with it, said screw it and borrowed an AEG never looked back since. AEG's have volume of fire, and once they get into your MED you cant do anything.
Its highly suggested you get a aeg as secondary or even a gbb as a secondary.
the PTW's I personally cannot justify buying. Get a different brand.
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 13:43   #5
Deadpool

That's why all of ASC tells noobs not to get a BA for their first gun.

Unless you're a clever and stealthy sniper operator and you're patient enough to take shots that won't let the enemy know where you are, then it's a very frustating role to play. Because everyone wants to hit the sniper when they can and many good aegs have the range to rival many sniper rifles.

Get a good guillie suit and be as patient as can be. Then you'll have some good fun with your BA.

My 2 cents

Vérificateur d'age Mauricie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
So you're saying we cannot engage in a hobby once we are older?

Children these days.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 13:50   #6
highny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post
This is the reason why people suggest getting an AEG before you spend your money on a Bolt Action.
My history with an AEG went like this:
-First AEG EVER! ICS m4
Sold it because fail upgrading(wasn't compatible with TM you see).
-Got a cyber Sig552 for indoor,
Sold it because I didn't like indoor.
-Got a F&F M14 with a rail system
Sold it because it was too heavy and figure "why not go for a BA."
-Ended up getting a ICS M16(don't ask me why).
Sold it because I couldn't use that AEG blowback kit(the one you install in stock)
-Got a G&G M16 with SPR kit
Sold it because it wasn't a BA and I really wanted one after seeing my buddy got so many kills.

-Got a Well L96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
What bolt action do you have and what is it upgraded with?
It's loaded with:
PDI hop up
Firefly rubber
Madbull barrel with 1 set of spacer
Laylax cylinder and cylinder head with sorbo(spelling?)
Laylax spring guide
Modify piston and piston head(because they were sold out of the Laylax)
450FPS spring (SP120?)
Laylax trigger assembly
And BB Baster 0.36g bbs.

See, my knowledge of airsoft isn't too bad
Old April 10th, 2011, 13:54   #7
highny

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.T.Z View Post
never looked back since.
Ya... I'm starting to feel that way again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
Get a good guillie suit and be as patient as can be. Then you'll have some good fun with your BA.
Oh I'm not saying I'm not having fun with my BA, it's just frustrating from time to time lol. Got two awesome kills yesterday. Shot through a 6" winder gap at about 150-200 feet.

Guillies are hard to do in Calgary... And the field isn't very woody... Think of it like a paintball field...
Old April 10th, 2011, 14:05   #8
mcguyver

I think it was RAAT that prohibited ghillies because you couldn't feel the hits (due the longer range that an AEG would need to hit you at in comparison to a rifle).

I used to consistantly outrange any field-legal sniper rifle with a PTW, and that includes guns that could be up to 80fps hotter than the PTW. Now, factor in the volume of fire I could unleash, and it was no comparison. That's why you see so many of them on the longer distance fields, and one reason I lobbied to bring the sniper velocity limit up for JOC.

It's not the velocity of the gun per se, but the hop-up that does the work, and the person pulling the trigger.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 14:22   #9
highny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
lobbied to bring the sniper velocity limit up for JOC.
It's not the velocity of the gun per se, but the hop-up that does the work, and the person pulling the trigger.
Ya, I think in the near future JOC will let SPR to shot BA limit as long as their lock in semi. To me, that's a smack in the face for us BA users...
Old April 10th, 2011, 14:42   #10
Danke

I haven't played on your field but recently a bunch of players from your area came up here for a game. If I was facing those hot PTWs on a weekly basis I'd be on the if you can't beat them, join them kick.

Where the game was I suspect there was a bit of a disadvantage, they couldn't use their primarys effectively in some of the built up areas due to the engagement distance.
Old April 10th, 2011, 14:48   #11
Amos

So you've got a clone bolt action with a mixed match of aftermarket parts?
G3SD6
Old April 10th, 2011, 15:03   #12
highny

Well, since I was going to gut the thing out, didn't see it was necessary to get a mauzen.

As for upgrade, figure I would change out the cylinder and the inner barrel once it was back in stock. But would just the two make that much difference?

Another thing, I saw a tanaka gas sniper, that thing can sure snipe. He was running 0.43g and able to hit a target about 250feet easy, maybe these gas sniper are good?...
Old April 10th, 2011, 15:21   #13
Drunk_Albertan

I ran both my PTW as well as my bolt action Kar 98k. My BA is completely stock. If you want to run a sniper as a primary do some research. I was lucky in that I'm a WW2 nut and the Tanaka Kar 98k is a very efective sniper rifle in its stock form (with .4g BBBastards). Just because it's a bolt action sniper rifle doesn't mean its going to outrange aeg's out of the box. I've seen some pure garbage sniper rifles.

A lot of people don't understand that upgrade parts aren't compatible with the clone manufacturer's rifles because they have different tollerances in parts.

As for the PTW, it's expensive, but worth it.

The field was lacking cover just due to the fact that it's spring, and this was one of the first outdoor games of the season, so no foliage. There isn't a lot of structures at Warpaint because the field is only just coming up to a year old.
Old April 10th, 2011, 15:26   #14
Amos

How new are you to using a bolt action (roughly how many hours have you gamed one?)

Any name brand bolt action can be good, it just needs proper upgrades, and to be properly upgraded.

Spring is much more consistent than gas, you can produce more accurate results with a spring rifle than a gas rifle.

Using a bolt action is 90% movement, 10% your gun... don't expect to be standing at the back of the field shooting people's hands as they come out from cover.
G3SD6
Old April 10th, 2011, 15:35   #15
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

Me thinks you need a heavier spring or if your not certified to use more then 450fps a lighter BB My BA is a mess only shooting 400fps right now but with .28 or .30 bbs I way out range a well upgraded AEG and hittin the head or body dont make a diference' just hit them you have stealth and range on your side use them, when i run 500fps i still use .30 start getting into 550+ then use .32
really tho i think if ya adjust yoiur bb's youll find you do have an advantage over the aegs, just get a teammate to stay near u for the guys who entre your MED, witch at 450 fps you dont really gotta worrie about just shoot em in the body its easyer to hit anyhow

450FPS spring (SP120?)
Laylax trigger assembly
And BB Baster 0.36g bbs.

See, my knowledge of airsoft isn't too bad [/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop