Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Cracked Slide, Prevention and Fixes?

:

Doctor's Corner

Old February 4th, 2013, 12:31   #1
ardo

Cracked Slide, Prevention and Fixes?

I have an all-metal Tanfoglio Limited Custom by Cybergun/KWC. The slide is cracked at the point where it gets hit by the outer barrel. Could someone please help by answering these questions:

1. Are KWC metal slides made of aluminum, or is it some weird 'pot metal' composition? I have a friend who's willing to try low-temperature brazing, but he says that knowing slide's material is very important.
2. Would using a stiffer recoil spring prevent the slide from cracking? If that is the case, and since there are no replacement parts available for this gun, would compressing the spring - like putting an extra bushing in front of it - help?
3. There are spots on the outer barrel that indicate excessive wear. Would paint-stripping, filing off high spots, and polishing the outer barrel be of any help?
4. Would polishing the slide & frame rails help?

TIA.
ardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:50   #2
Thenooblord
Can't fix my own guns. Willing to fix yours.

Send a message via MSN to Thenooblord
I think its a design flaw of some sort, while I cant specifically answer your questions, I just recently saw this exact issue come up on another forum, so I'd say its the gun

Words to live by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
The apartment I am in right now costs $100 a month.
My average spending on food per day is less than $4.
My airsoft spending in the last month and a half has totaled over $1400.
They're called priorities. Get yourself some.
Thenooblord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 13:05   #3
ardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenooblord View Post
I think its a design flaw of some sort, while I cant specifically answer your questions, I just recently saw this exact issue come up on another forum, so I'd say its the gun
LOL it was probably me, venting... You're probably right about the design flaw, but I'd like to try and fix the problem if I can, since I cannot do much about the design part.
Old February 4th, 2013, 13:27   #4
The Keiichione
formerly keiichi

My weapontech (both real steel and Airsoft) buddy got one. He shot atleast 1500rds with it.

Could you post a picture of the damage or send it to me ? We might find the problem.
The Keiichione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 13:35   #5
ardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Keiichione View Post
My weapontech (both real steel and Airsoft) buddy got one. He shot atleast 1500rds with it.

Could you post a picture of the damage or send it to me ? We might find the problem.
Sure...

I put about 3,000 rounds through the gun.

This shows the barrel wear:
Old February 4th, 2013, 13:54   #6
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

id say its a material flaw not so much design flaw.
it is simaler in design to an m9 or a 1911 so design is likely not the issue its just crappy pot metal.
prevention would be run it on duster or perhaps a stiffer recoil spring would lower the stress caused by blow back but not by much. Also there are dampers that go on the slide and such for some pistols perhaps one of those would fit with little or no modification on your pistol. Tho i cant seem to find them anyplace i know i have heard of em lotta guys who do the caps stuff use em they reduce recoil by having a rubber or sorbo pad that stops tue slide just as it finnishes its blowback cycle. I heard tho that the slide lock will not work with them.
best solution would be a different pistol but i know we have had this talk befor and u kind of need the tanfoglio caus its closest to yer real steel gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 12:51   #7
ardo

Thanks, I have those buffers on my RS Shadow, will try to fit a spare one. BTW Tanfoglio is a CO2 gun so duster gas is not an option.
Old February 6th, 2013, 00:25   #8
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
A combination of low quality gun (and therefore low quality material, pot metal mix as you say) and the much higher pressure of CO2 is not good. Any time you run CO2 you're going to run into more issues, and have those issues come up faster than if you were using a lower pressure gas like propane.

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner