Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

proyekta Konechnoy Mosin

:

Showcase

Old July 10th, 2013, 22:10   #1
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

proyekta Konechnoy Mosin

After pining away for an Ares 1891/30 PU Mosin Nagant, I've decided to build my own based around a real stock. The goal is to end up with a Mosin sniper build which is authentic for the 1942-1945 period, when most of this variant was mass produced.

This is an example of what I am after for a finished project;

The Mosin Nagant family of rifles has a very colourful history as I found when I began researching this build, if you would like to learn more here is a great link to get you started; http://world.guns.ru/rifle/repeating...s/mosin-e.html

I'm not going to prattle on about the characteristics of the real weapon, you can look that up yourself if you are interested.

On to the build!

PART LIST

01. S&T Mosin Nagant 1891/30
02. RS war-era 1891/30 Mosin Nagant wood stock *
03. RS mosin cleaning rod
04. RS bent sniper bolt handle
05. RS scope bracket, mount and PU sniper scope.
06. RS 1952 dated Mosin canvas sling

* Turns out when I received the stock, it's actually PRE war, can't nail down an exact date but it would be from 1930-1939.

Also props to Jeff and the boys @ Capital Airsoft for securing me a mosin rifle, super great guy and if you are in the market for anything airsoft it's work checking them out.

WORK REQUIRED

Stock: The stock needs to have material removed where the airsoft internals need space. The entire stock and hand guard need to be stripped down to bare wood and some filler applied behind the receiver as there is a 1/4" gap where the airsoft receiver is shorter than the RS one. Stock will then be refinished with shellac as it was originally.

Sniper handle: Chop existing handle off of bolt, drill and tap mounting hole for new sniper bolt and install handle.

Scope and mount: Drill and tap receiver for scope mount bracket, then install scope.

WORK LOG

Onto it!

So here is a stock image of the S&T Mosin I am using as a base gun;

Out of the box it shoots 475fps and is actually quite gameable. However; there are a number of flaws and errors which as a Russian arms enthusiast I find only slightly less atrocious than your average quadruple homicide;

- Stock is wrong wood, colour and finish;
- Stock is wrong shape and too thick;
- Sling slots are wrong (post war) type;
- Brass caps for hand guard and stock are not lacquered black; and
- Barrel bands are both oversized and require set screw instead of being fitted.

Now onto fitting the real stock;

As seen above, the real stock is quite the looker compared to the toy-like (I actually thought it was plastic at first) S&T stock. This particular stock is a 1930-1939 manufactured stock which was produced by the Tula plant (as per the markings). It was re-arsenaled at some point as an arsenal stamp is present on the stock (a boxed W), and some repair work as been done in terms of removing damaged wood and repair of those sections. Most were unnoticeable until the shellac was removed, which is a testament to the skill of whomever did the work.

First I stripped the original shellac finish off the stock with some eco friendly wood stripper, and then after a quick soap and steel wool bath a light sanding was done with 100 and then 180 grit sandpaper. Care was taken to preserve all the proof and arsenal markings. Here is a shot showing the material that had to be removed at the rear of the trigger guard; thankfully a 1/4" dremel router bit goes through this wood like a hot knife through butter. As seen just above the removed material is a section of the stock that has been repaired.

The trigger guard/magazine assembly fitted. Thankfully the two screw holes actually line up perfectly with the ones in the real stock; a small mercy.

After a few hours of stripping, routering, chiseling, and test fitting here she is;

Everything is fitting together quite well at this point, and I'm just waiting on some wood filler to dry overnight and then tomorrow it's onto refinishing the wood! Here is another close up shot of the receiver and wood;

A light weathering job has been done on all the metal components, however not many are actually steel so this may be as far as I go in that regard.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 22:28   #2
Drunk_Albertan

Beautiful work. Hope to see it at an upcoming WW2 game around Calgary or Edmonton. There's one this weekend wink wink nudge nudge lol (in Calgary).
Old July 10th, 2013, 22:39   #3
Strelok

Been debating on getting one of these... how is reloading it with the new wheel system? I have the old Zeta Labs springer.
Strelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 22:51   #4
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
Been debating on getting one of these... how is reloading it with the new wheel system? I have the old Zeta Labs springer.
Exactly the same but a stronger thread... Phase 3 of this project will be fabricating a new magazine system for this rifle.. once my 3D printer gets here.
Old July 10th, 2013, 23:02   #5
Strelok

I ended up replacing the ramp with a small bb compartment, just pulled on the cord and shook the gun to have it load up.

Worked like a charm!
Strelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 23:34   #6
Immelmann

Beautiful. Thanks for including the build process as well!

As someone who thinks Mosins are just plain beautiful (I keep a deactivated one on my desk), maybe I'll do something similar someday

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhc View Post
i actually dont like COD. im more worried that airsoft will make me violent or messed in the head.
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 02:38   #7
dt88

Great!

How much time you spent for this?
dt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 08:52   #8
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

About three hours so far... Another hour or so today to refinish the stock.
Old July 11th, 2013, 09:46   #9
Immelmann

Where'd you get your stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhc View Post
i actually dont like COD. im more worried that airsoft will make me violent or messed in the head.
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:12   #10
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

eBay ftw! Tried locating one locally but no luck.
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:43   #11
akko

Good job Comrade,

AKMS
TYPE 56-1
akko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 13:43   #12
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Finished the stock this morning and reassembled!

Diluted Minwax #225 stain and amber shellac for colour matching to the original and proper finish.

So now I'm waiting on some parts to continue with this, next step is the sniper bolt and scope.
Old July 11th, 2013, 13:59   #13
manchovie

Send a message via ICQ to manchovie Send a message via AIM to manchovie Send a message via MSN to manchovie
looks amazing man, great job.

my b/s rating
manchovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 22:37   #14
MASAKO

Just a head up, If somebody look for a stock. There is one on CGN classified like 50 $, I can help you if you don't have access to their classified. Let me know.
MASAKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 00:55   #15
Latvian291
a.k.a. Submachinehead

You are making a PU sniper with a pre-war stock? Blasphemy! Should be PE or PEM :P

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications > Showcase