Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Russian Helmet Cheating *PICTURE HEAVY*

:

Russia and East Bloc

Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:03   #1
Desmodus
Mexifaggot

Russian Helmet Cheating *PICTURE HEAVY*

I know there is already a thread on Red Alliance about this particular subject but I wanted to see if anyone on this board has tried something similar.

Let me go out on a limb here and say that yes, I do know that there are replicas of Russian helmets available ranging from 100-500 dollars plus shipping from Russia or wherever you get it from. For some people this price range may simply be too much for a replica helmet. As such, you either simply don't wear one or try and "cheat" to get the same look. Well, this cheating is what I've attempted to do (yea, call me cheap whatever!).

Since most of the iconic Russian helmets are quite spherical in appearance, it seems pretty likely that you can find a motorcycle helmet that is very close in overall shape and look.

If you attempt this kind of project, it goes without saying that you should try and pick up the cheapest bike helmet you can find that looks as close as possible to whatever helmet you are trying to replicate, since you'll be sanding, painting, drilling or gluing shit on.

For my attempt, I scored an old HJC open-face bike helmet for $15 bucks off Kijiji. Unfortunately with this model there is a frontal vent that looks impossible to remove, so there is not much I can do in that regard. I attempted to make it look as close as possible to either a Maska or a Zsh-1.

This is what it looked like when I first got it. The liner was gross so I cleaned it in a large bowl with soap and warm water.

Next, I removed the studs for the sun visor as well as all the stickers that were on the helmet. Using a hairdryer on the stickers heats the adhesive enough that you can pretty much slowly peel it off with your hands! At this time, I also made sure to tape off any areas I didn't want to get paint on.

Sanding time! To get that almost mirror-like finish off I used 300 and 400 grit sandpaper and went to town on it. At this time I also sanded the areas where I had cut the studs to get them nice and flat.

Once sanding was completed, I washed off all the dust and debris to prep for the primer coat. I also filled in the holes where I cut the studs off with boating sealer. Once I applied the first primer coat, I began to stick on the parts that are synonymous with most Russian helmets, the brackets to hold the ballistic visor and the studs and bolts that would be in place to hold it. I used shelving brackets as they were the closest thing I could find in terms of shape. I also cut screws that were similar in size and look, placing them where needed in accordance with reference photos.

Finally, at the painting stage I picked up a can of texturized paint and Krylon olive drab spraypaint! Make sure you spray a good distance away so you don't get globs of paint everywhere. My can of texturized paint was a POS and the spray nub kept falling off and getting jammed up. I'm not the best at painting so there are probably areas that I need to go back to and touch up, but nonetheless I'm pretty happy with the result:

The next steps would probably be to replace the liner with something more streamlined so I don't look like the guy from spaceballs when I wear it or cook my brain in the summer. A chin cup would also be a nice addition.

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any results of your own I would love to see them!

For helmet reference photos:
http://spetsnaz.su/gallery/index.php?/category/432

Primaries: LCT AK74MN w/SKTBR, VFC M4 SOPMOD Block 2
Secondary: Latino heat, TM Glock 17

Last edited by Desmodus; April 22nd, 2013 at 11:15.. Reason: spelling/punctuation
Desmodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:06   #2
Disco_Dante

Oh man there's totally going to be so many spaceballs jokes. I had no idea you were even working on this! It looks awesome! Although it also looks like you'd get pretty toasty wearing that!

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:10   #3
c3sk
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

You cheat like a pro, nice job.
c3sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:15   #4
Derpystronk

Good job though... I think. When I see it in person I'll let you know.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 16:29   #5
Off_kilter

I have a rys-t if you want any measurements or pctures of the liner and suspension system I'm happy to help(even if its a completely different helmet design).

Last edited by Off_kilter; April 22nd, 2013 at 16:32..
Off_kilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 02:58   #6
YkudzA

The name of this motorcycle helmet is "Salyt" (Салют) and price is about $10

Good job!
YkudzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:45   #7
Desmodus
Mexifaggot

Off Kilter, if you could send some pictures of the padding and suspension of your Rys-T that would be greatly appreciated! I'm currently tackling the best way to start ripping out all this bike padding!

Primaries: LCT AK74MN w/SKTBR, VFC M4 SOPMOD Block 2
Secondary: Latino heat, TM Glock 17
Desmodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 18:38   #8
Off_kilter

Im not home till sunday but i will then
Old May 3rd, 2013, 19:52   #9
Nimble
airsoftsoldier250

Anyone make fiberglass plates for a sphera/ sfera/ sphere helmet? Seems easy and cheap enough to buy covers and probably the suspension system but for a real one is $250+ and heavy as hell to game all day long.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > Russia and East Bloc