Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

SCAR or M4

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old March 2nd, 2015, 16:19   #1
NubbyJones

SCAR or M4

I'm really on a low budget for airsoft so I and currently deciding to either get a Echo1 Genesis Nylon Fiber M4 with Mid Length Hand Guard and a Classic Army Sport Line SCAR any suggstions?
NubbyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 16:22   #2
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
"Low budget" and "Airsoft" don't really go together.

If I was you, I'd be a smart little pup and save up for something pewtacular.

Also, neither of those choices.
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 16:23   #3
brock0

Honestly neither. Save up your $, get age verified, and get deals on quality full metal AEGs from the classifieds.
brock0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 16:23   #4
Danke

Keep saving.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 16:44   #5
siggypoo

My budget is minuscule. Fortunately the sellers here in ASC's classifieds sell fairly and are flexible.
Get AV'd, browse our classifieds.
As for Scar vs M4, the Scar is big. I mean BIG. I love mine, but my buddy, DeeJay's M4 makes for a nice change. I'd enjoy both, which are We Tech gas.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 16:44   #6
Swattiger

Not to discourage you, but low budget airsoft guns often have problems after limited use. So it would give you a false picture of airsoft, and make it no fun at ll.

If you want a good start, just follow the above advice.
Swattiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 16:51   #7
FirestormX

One of the most important things you can learn in airsoft, is not how to pie a corner, but rather that it's important to save your money.
Just in general, don't spend money on airsoft, is what I'm saying.

But, if you do decide to start dumping money into this ridiculous hobby, you should know that there's a whole lot of crappy stuff out there, that passes for "acceptable" for the simple fact that there are very few alternatives in this niche market.
It's very rarely a case of "buy this to get started, and then you can put a bit of money into it later to get it up to snuff". It's more often the case of "buy this to get started, let it perform poorly/break/frustrate you/make you feel bad for not having a body that you like, and then buy the more expensive, higher quality model...Or dump the higher quality model's worth of money into upgrading it"

So in general, if you're given the choice of a $300 gun and a $500 gun, your overall money spent to get a gun that will work will either be $500 if you just straight up by the $500 gun, or $800 if you buy the $300 gun and then have to go buy the $500 gun.
Sure the $300 might get you by for a few games, but realistically, $200 for something to get by on for half a season is a lot of money to waste. You wouldn't say "I feel like I want to start driving. Maybe I'll spend $3,000 on a used car that needs a push start every single time, and is generally on its last legs to get me around for a couple months, and then I'll buy the $8,000 car once this one craps out". You would say that $3,000 is a lot of money to throw away on a piece of crap, and that it'd be better to spend a bit of time saving for something. If you just toss away your money on a crappy gun, you'll need to start your saving all over again...And it's not likely that you'll have saved up enough money to get a new gun, in the short time it takes your crappier gun to break.
FirestormX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 18:33   #8
Enthusiast

If you want to buy a new m4, I would choose a G&G gun like the CM16 raider for about 170 $.
Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 18:50   #9
hollywood...
cranky old man

the bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten

- save your pennies and make them count.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 19:00   #10
augherk

Wait and get a vfc or g&g scar, or wait and get one of the 1000 better m4's than that. VFC is a great choice. If you can't pay, don't bother trying to play- it's something many of us have learned the hard way D:
augherk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 19:03   #11
ccyg8774

I love SCAR, but I hate CA sportline.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 19:05   #12
Brengun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
If you want to buy a new m4, I would choose a G&G gun like the CM16 raider for about 170 $.
The G&G raider is widely accepted as a great entry level gun for people with a limited budget, based on reviews and popular feedback.

Last year was my first year, and I would have this advice to offer as a newbie:

1) Get a gun that will perform well out of the box, and last you a couple of years without having to pay to get it fixed. In airsoft, like in anything else, you get what you pay for. However, throwing a lot of money at a gun doesn't guarantee reliability. The internet is cheap... do a TON of research before making your decision.

2) Don't scrimp on eye protection. This is the most important purchase you will make. Cheap eye-pro will either fog (it really does suck), or not protect your eyes (which could suck for a lot longer than a few hours).

3) Get comfortable and supportive footwear. It doesn't need to be a $300 pair of boots... but wearing running shoes will leave you with a good chance of ending up in tears.

4) Camo , vests / rigs / plate carriers, pouches, etc can easily be found on the classifieds here, with some great deals available.

But yeah, to echo a few other responses, airsoft is a money pit, and I spend FAR more than I need to on it --but only because it is so much fun.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 19:23   #13
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

you can make g&g CMs purr really well, but look to spending the cost of the gun and probably another 100$ in parts to ensure it won't break on you.

Any gun will break, it's a question of how much have you set aside to make sure it can be fixed when it does. Going with a 200~$ gun you'd need closer to the same amount set aside to keep it running, just in case. With higher quality guns, I would still set aside the 200$ or so, especially if you don't want to try to fix it yourself.

I've had 3 bag guns given to me for repair and reassembly in the past year, all because the owners tried it themselves, they ordered garbage parts, lost other parts and couldn't figure out how to put it back together. In the end it cost them MORE because they had to come to me to put it back together for them and I had to order them MORE parts because the ones they chose either didn't work or were unnecessary.

Know your limits, budget and skill wise and make a decision from that. The season is still 2-3 months away, so you have time to save.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 22:49   #14
CLundy

I have both a scar variant (the classic army in black to be specific) and multiple m4 variants and from personal experience, I would probably go with the m4 (but partially cause my m4 is my baby).

Anyways, in my opinion, the scar was actually a smaller gun than I was expecting but looks rather sharp. In terms of the feeling, the gun is quite solid, its almost all plastic (except for the side rails and site and a few other small pieces) and has quite the heft to it (part of the reason I would rather my m4). Right out of the box, the gun should definitely be downgraded as the spring is way to hard to pull for the motor. The performance after that is fairly decent, I probably get 13-15 rps on a 9.6 and the accuracy is quite good for a sportsline gun with 0.25s.

As for the echo 1 m4, I personally have never had any experience with them, however I've heard that they're not bad for beginner budget guns

The main reason that I stopped using my scar is that weight after carrying it around for more than a couple hours gets to be a little much (and no I'm not an overly small guy), plus the fact that the scar is a little picky with mags.

The classic army is for sure a fun gun for someone who wants something other than a standard m4 but be mindful that it is a little heavier and the spring should be changed ASAP.

It really all comes down to personal preference and if I could say anything, I would recommend going to a store if you can and holding the two to see which feels better to you, as that is what it comes down to!

If you have any more questions about the scar feel free to ask! good luck!!
CLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 22:51   #15
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

If that's your budget get a G&G not Echo 1, G&G is much better.
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion